tunaplanet

Liberal bias in the media

See its called spin when you bring up an outside topic and compare it in a way that provides support for your agenda.

The War in Iraq was not related to this, but NBC had a great opportunity to slam the current government for both Iraq, and the disaster relief...So they took it.

That is a spin.

And is it "perspective" when Fox news compares two things?

And is is "perspective" when Fox news compares two things?

Did I say Fox does not spin things?

Find one post where I said that.

(Since you didn't know about the smilies...Try the "Search Button", you will love it);)

NOTICE THE WINKY FACE GUY.....THAT MEANS ITS A JOKE!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Did I say Fox does not spin things?

Find one post where I said that.

My point wasn't about what you didn't say. The point is that people are all to quick to claim "spin" on just about any news story these days. There has always been a slant to news reporting because of the human element. But not everything is spin - sometimes it's just there to help gain perspective.

If anything, there is less spin in the news now than there has been in the last 100 years of reporting. The internet is a major cause of that.

My point wasn't about what you didn't say. The point is that people are all to quick to claim "spin" on just about any news story these days

Oh I agree. But you made it seem like you were saying I love Fox...I don't. I don't trust ANY news source. But I have seen a liberal slant, and in that last article it was so blatant I could not ignore it.

But not everything is spin - sometimes it's just there to help gain perspective.

Yeah, but thats not this case....NBC brought up the war in a way that will make the money we sent seem nothing, and at the same time make the war part of this story.

Thats spin.

If anything, there is less spin in the news now than there has been in the last 100 years of reporting. The internet is a major cause of that.

True, but that does not mean that last piece was not spin.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What I said was:

I get my news from NPR and news.google, which is set as my homepage, so I see a lotof variety.

If you quote me, please do not do it out of context. NPR is argued to be conservative by one side (Natinalist Public Radio) and liberal by the other, which makes it appear to be overall unbiased. When tempered with hundreds of other news sources on http://news.google.com then a liberal slant can hardly be credibly argued.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

you quote me, please do not do it out of context. NPR is argued to be conservative by one side (Natinalist Public Radio) and liberal by the other, which makes it appear to be overall unbiased

I'm sorry but npr has a very Liberal bias, enless they changed formats in the last 6 months. edit to add: Car talk is ok ;)

. . . NPR is argued to be conservative by one side (Natinalist Public Radio) and liberal by the other, which makes it appear to be overall unbiased.

Think of there being not 2, but 500 sides to this issue. One of them believes that NPR has a conservative slant. 499 of them believe it has a liberal slant. ;)

. . =(_8^(1)

The other 499 sides are also covered on http://news.google.com. They are not all that different than NPR, only mostly less detailed.
Perhaps if the media is hard on the right side (I believe the majority of the media is right biased.) maybe its because lately, the right has really been screwing up, and it is honest reporting, rather than bias.

Personally, I wish the media would stop treating Shrub with kid gloves, and be objective about just how badly he has been doing his job.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Personally, I wish the media would stop treating Shrub with kid gloves, and be objective about just how badly he has been doing his job.

Well point one is that about 51% of the voting population doesn't think Bush has done badly. Point two is that there is plenty of negative coverage of him and his administration anyway. You just have to know where to look, and I bet you do.

What I love about today's media is that you can pick and choose the way you want to hear the news. You can listen to Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken, or watch CBS or Fox, all according to what rings true for you. Truth is, today's "media" covers the entire spectrum in it's directions of "spin".

It wasn't always that way. Not so long ago, you had newspapers and the big three broadcasters, ABC, NBC, and CBS. All three had a stranglehold on the news media -- and were generally liberal. Then came talk radio, cable and finally the internet to break up the news outlet monopoly. Ain't it great? Now we can hear all sides of an issue or story, or just the one side we agree with. The choices are out there. ;)

. . =(_8^(1)