Kennedy

Is This An Officer You Want Re-Hired?

I tend to be very conservative in condemning law enforcement officers, but this case makes it very easy. What in God's name were those bureaucrats thinking?

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/sacramento/story/11695702p-12584528c.html

A Sacramento County sheriff's deputy who was convicted of trespassing on duty into the home of a woman he hoped to pursue romantically has been ordered rehired by the county Civil Service Commission, despite his department's efforts to fire him.

Timothy James Durel, a 14-year veteran of the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, was convicted in August 2003 of a misdemeanor trespass charge after he lied about a 911 call to get into the woman's Carmichael home, where her two daughters were alone.

A federal civil case accuses him of rifling the woman's dresser drawers after ordering the two girls - then 8 and 12 - to stay in the living room.

Sheriff's officials fired Durel last January, after he had been sentenced to 90 days in jail and ordered to personally pay $5,000 to the victim, Susan Pallotta. Jurors deadlocked on two additional counts of abuse of authority.

His conduct was so egregious that Sacramento Superior Court Judge Shelleyanne W.L. Chang issued a stern rebuke as she handed down his sentence. "You traumatized those two children," she said, calling Durel's actions a violation of "public trust."

But last month, the county's five-member Civil Service Commission overturned the sheriff's decision and ordered Durel, 39, reinstated. Last week, Durel was issued a gun and badge and told to report for duty in the jail system.

Kathleen Campini Chambers, a spokeswoman for the county's Civil Service Commission, said Tuesday officials are prohibited from commenting publicly about personnel actions, including any reasons for reinstatement. She confirmed that Durel's appeal had been upheld by the commission.

"We're pleased that he's returning to work," said Durel's attorney, Christopher Miller. He said Durel did not want to make any public comments.

Pallotta's attorney, Stewart Katz, and sheriff's officials are far from pleased.

"I find it pretty troubling," Katz said. "Is this who you would want coming to your house on a 911 call?"

Pallotta said she sold her house at a loss and fled Sacramento County after the incident, and a therapist for one of her daughters said the girl had recurring nightmares about Durel.

At his trial in 2003, Durel admitted he had become interested in Pallotta after being sent to her home May 1, 2002, to handle a neighbor's complaint. He returned July 17, 2002, in hopes of striking up a relationship with her.

When she wasn't home, he said, he told her daughters he had received a 911 call from their home and needed to check the residence. The girls objected, but Durel entered the home anyway.

In a harsh letter to the Civil Service Commission dated Monday, Assistant Sheriff David Lind called the orders to rehire Durel and four other recently fired deputies a "series of administrative catastrophes," which will cost the department more than $300,000 in back pay.

"The morale of this department is suffering," Lind wrote. "Management is incredulous. Line troops are scratching their heads."

Among the other four reinstated deputies was one who was fired for excessive force. Another was fired for conduct unbecoming an officer and two others were fired for on-duty thefts. Lind would not release their names.

One of the deputies fired for theft was turned in by co-workers who testified against him at the Civil Service Commission hearing.

After the commission overturned his termination, the deputy filed a civil claim against a supervisor and a deputy, Lind said in an interview this week.

Lind said rehiring deputies who have been fired for issues of honesty could be a real problem if the deputies ever need to testify in a criminal trial.

For that reason and others, all five of the rehired deputies will be assigned to duties within the county's jail system.

County Supervisor Roger Dickinson said that while he is unfamiliar with the specifics of Durel's case, any time employees are convicted of serious crimes, it can raise troubling issues in the workplace.

"Those are concerns about morale and what type of discipline you can administer as an employer," he said. "And, particularly with law enforcement, there are concerns with what the credibility of that person will be on an ongoing basis."

Durel, whose record is unblemished other than the Pallotta incident, will be working a graveyard shift at the main jail. He will not be in a position where he is alone with female prisoners, officials said.

On Tuesday, however, Katz asked a judge to revoke Durel's probation because he is five months behind on his restitution payments to the Pallottas.

The deputy had been ordered to pay $200 a month toward his $5,000 of the restitution. The Sheriff's Department agreed to pay his victim an additional $208,475 to settle the federal civil suit.

"It makes you wonder how much misconduct we don't know about if a criminal conviction for abuse of authority doesn't cost you your job," Katz said.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

"What in God's name were those bureaucrats thinking? "

Sometimes in the real world you got to read between the lines:)
The dude had a Lawyer, so the bureaucrates Lawyers might have advised them to do it or they would be sued and lose.:o

Just a WAG:|

As you were:|

R.I.P.

How stupid are these folks? This is after paying 200k in a settlement for his actions?

In Mary M. v. City of Los Angeles, 54 Cal.3d 202 (1991), the California Supreme Court held that a police officer’s employer was liable for the officer’s acts of stopping a female motorist, placing her under arrest, and driving her home where he raped her. The court found that the officer’s conduct in raping the motorist was within the scope of his employment.

Why? Because the Court found that police officers generally possess considerable authority and control over citizens, and abuse of that authority is not a sufficient departure to justify a finding that the conduct was beyond the scope of employment.

So, now they've ordered this guy, with a pattern of abusing his position, back as a police officer.

I guess he's not too bad. It's not like he said a prayer on the job...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

How stupid are these folks? This is after paying 200k in a settlement for his actions?

In Mary M. v. City of Los Angeles, 54 Cal.3d 202 (1991), the California Supreme Court held that a police officer’s employer was liable for the officer’s acts of stopping a female motorist, placing her under arrest, and driving her home where he raped her. The court found that the officer’s conduct in raping the motorist was within the scope of his employment.

Why? Because the Court found that police officers generally possess considerable authority and control over citizens, and abuse of that authority is not a sufficient departure to justify a finding that the conduct was beyond the scope of employment.

So, now they've ordered this guy, with a pattern of abusing his position, back as a police officer.

I guess he's not too bad. It's not like he said a prayer on the job...

What do you expect, since it is now very well established that the people are the chattel of the State.

The State has been allowed to accumulate power way beyond anything the Founders could ever have imagined.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Reread the origional post from MR Kennedy

The police that used "questionable" police procedure's were rehirded with back pay:( but then they were reasinged to Jail duty;)

A street cop on jail dutyB| Don't think they will make it to retirement unless therie very close or their lawyer helps them out.:)
More than one way to skin a dirty cop:o

R.I.P.

You guys have nothing there. I have an ex-dirty pig story for you. He killed 2 people in 1 1/2 years, one at gunpoint.

He moved into my neighborhood after his first killing, I imagine his neighbors knoew what a POS he is so he moved. So after this, he moved into my neighborhood where was a typical arrogant pig, but didn't bother me.

Long story, I'll give ya the Cliff-notes, but on or about Oct 3, 2002 it appears he aided 1 real estae broker in the robbing of my house. 8 days later he shot and killed a mother of 3 with a 1 year old child in the backseat as she was forging a prescription and fled. He claims he was in fear for his life, but she was driving away from him and I attended the trial and watched witnesses testify that he ran after her and drew on the fly. Of course the victim pig said he was in front as she was driving at him, all witness and state reconstructionists refuted that. BTW, she was shot in the back of teh arm where it traveled through her heart then rested in her right chest cavity.

His first murder he chased, after being told to back off, a stolen car through an intersection where he killed a 19-year-old college kid. Dad was a doctor and he sued for pursuit policy change. Police Chief Bobby Joe Harris refused, but he ended up resigning by force after his boy (the pig) killed the lady at Walgreen's.

RESULT:

Chandler paid on the first killing:

1. 1.4 million to the mom
2. 1.4 million to the dad

Second killing:

1. 2 million to the family
2. Undisclosed amount from insurance to the family

*Chandler's deductable went from 1 million to 2 million after the first killing, where, of course they claimed no wrongdoing.

Now, the pig had his chief (who was a POS anyway) fired, was acquited of 2nd degree murder, manslaughter, endangerment of the child, wanted his job back. Chandler said no, he appealed to the city, and the kicker is he is suing everyone for letting him be such a corrupt little piggy.

How does that compare to your story? I mean yours is egregious as well, but this is horrific. BTW, the state licensing agency refused to revoke his license, so he could be hired as a pig in any city, state, or county jurisdiction in AZ. I doubt that will happen tho, but Chandler is sort of on the hook to at least let this run its cycle.

Murder trial:

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/criminal/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2003-015458

Civil trial where he's suing:

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/civil/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CV2004-092518

BTW, he's suing several of his fellow cops for testifying against him. The guy is a joke - he got away with murder and that isn't enough. I'd like to see Chandler's premiums and dedctable if they hire him back.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/1001cr-lovelaceZ6.html

http://arizona.indymedia.org/news/2004/06/19585.php

This is how dumb the defense attny is, he writes:

"Chandler police officer Dan Lovelace responded to a priority one call, forged prescription in progress, on October 11, 2001 ..."

It was Oct 11, 2002. Oh well, little details.

"As he did so and was calling in the plate number, and began walking back toward the driver’s side in the empty bay, ..."

This is also incorrect according to the testimony of even Pigface (Lovelace) and all witnesses. He was walking in the empty bay toward the window to talk to the pharmacy clerk. But it makes him sound closer to the car and in more damger when the attny claims the pig was closer to the car.

"Officer Lovelace ran to the front of the median, i.e., the forward left fender of her car and ordered her to cease this activity."

This also contradicts all evidence and testimony.

"She then ran into his bike and took a sharp left turn into Officer Lovelace, leaving approximately 29 feet of rubber."

With the proximity of the scene, there isno way she could physically have hit him or even turned around - not enough room.

"(Officer Lovelace had given a thorough taped interview on the evening of October 11, 2001 and had conducted a taped walk-through with the other officers.)"

One where he states, "I screwed up real bad, I'm sorry to the department......." But, as the courts are pig-lovers, they found this inadmissible due to it being an IA report and somehow compulsary. So he could have admitted he meant to kill her and it would be a free ride.

"The atmosphere in police shootings is becoming more and more hostile. "

Ya, we're a little tired of having our fellow citizens murdered by the pigs that represent our rich folks.

Oh, I'm not claiming this guy is the worst by any means. A few recent incidents in NY put this one to shame. I'm just amazed this guy was rehired.

ps - remember not all cops are bad cops. In a few months, I may have the right to be offended by that. :D:D:D
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Oh, I'm not claiming this guy is the worst by any means. A few recent incidents in NY put this one to shame. I'm just amazed this guy was rehired.

ps - remember not all cops are bad cops. In a few months, I may have the right to be offended by that. :D:D:D

No, and good thread. There are good ones out there - just dealt with one the other day.

But theis, "blue line" crap condones corruption. It means to cover your cop brothers ass at all costs. there are 3 special relationships that we learned about in school, and I can remember 2 of them.

1. Parent to a child
2. Cop to a citizen in his/her jurisdiction
3. ???

That means there is a duty to act if there is a known violation or danger. Now this would never be enforced, just as many laws are not enfoced that should be in the light of violation. But if a cop knows of another cop that broke the law, both are dirty.

BTW, it's not the cops, it's the courts, as they set, "Bright Line" rules for the cops and the bar is low.

There were smillies after that because right now I'd be happy to have any career over a job. In a few months, I may finally get the good word and be in the career I want.

Don't worry about my sensitivities. I have been yelled at and insulted by the best of them. Being called pig, etc is not going to make me lose any sleep at night.

(my brother already calls me one) B|
witty subliminal message
1*

There were smillies after that because right now I'd be happy to have any career over a job. In a few months, I may finally get the good word and be in the career I want.

Don't worry about my sensitivities. I have been yelled at and insulted by the best of them.
(my brother already calls me one) B|

Being called pig, etc is not going to make me lose any sleep at night.

I can attest to the fact that they don't all feel that way :S

If you become a good cop then you are doing the state a sevice.

A. We need cops
B. We need good cops

Good luck with it