Trent

Serious Question About Death Penalty Costs

>I guess you don't follow basic math

Wrong again... Appeals that last for 5-10 years in the legal system cost far more then the ~$24000 it costs to care for an inmate for a year (over $10,000 of that is spent on the security and not the health/food for an inmate) you already have to spend. If an inmate is in prison for 60 years (convicted at 20 dies at 80) the state has to spend about 1.2 million on him to secure him, feed him and provide everything that is needed to put him into general population at a Max security prision. Tha average some one is in prision is about 30-35 years on a life sentence if I remember right. Typically they die due to medical conditions in the prision. Cost to keep some one for 30 years is $720000.

http://www.state.de.us/correct/Data/FAQ.htm Delwares cost to house an inmate. That yes I had to google the link.

Here is Delawares cost to actually carry out the execution:
http://www.state.de.us/correct/Data/DeathP_History.htm

Reconstruction of Execution Chamber $ 15,000.00
Purchase of Drugs for Injection 310.00
Purchase of other Execution Supplies 2,208.00
Personnel Overtime 25,192.00
Additional maintenance 2,900.00
Audio Equipment for media coverage 1,475.00
TOTAL $ 47,085.00

That $47000 would have housed an inmate for 2 years.

>It's simple logic.
It is simple once you figure up all the costs. Life inprisionment is cheaper then the death penility.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>When I have more time I'll post something contradicting your Googling abilities.

Only thing I had to google was the links to Delawares webpages. Sorry if I just happened to have done a few papers on this topic before. :ph34r:
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Sorry if I just happened to have done a few papers on this topic before.

Ah, the old booksmarts vs streetsmarts. I know which I would (and do) have.

You can do all the college papers you want in your establishment of "higher" education. In the end you can't re-write math.

Your way doesn't add up nor make sense. Nice try. Have anything else?

Forty-two

~$24000 it costs to care for an inmate for a year

can anyone point to a cost for a max security prisoner? I would think the supervision is better, more guards per inmate, etc.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Reconstruction of Execution Chamber $ 15,000.00
Purchase of Drugs for Injection 310.00
Purchase of other Execution Supplies 2,208.00
Personnel Overtime 25,192.00
Additional maintenance 2,900.00
Audio Equipment for media coverage 1,475.00
TOTAL $ 47,085.00

One murdering scumbag sent to the hereafter...... priceless.

Can't they get a volume discount by offing a batch of them at once?

Great break down that I just found.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/ABOUTGDC/CorrectionsCosts.html

Looks like its even cheaper to house some one in Georgia then it is in Delaware.

Operating Costs (per offender) Per Day Per Year 

"Long-Term Facilities"
State Prisons (Close security and higher)** $50.53 $18,445

Minn has their costs here http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/prissys.htm and they seem to be a lot more then GA or DE.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

You can do all the college papers you want in your establishment of "higher" education. In the end you can't re-write math.

Quantum mechanics doesn't make sense either, but it happens to be right. At one time it was just the province of academics, but now you can buy quantum devices at your local Best Buy (in fact, you are looking at one as you read this)

You keep dismissing other's evidence but offer nothing of your own except comments on their type of "smarts".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you have a point? Or do you just like to point out that when people get reference links that they are not "streetsmart"? :S Jib wanted a reference to some sites, I pointed him towards them.

I'll probally be in FL this month or next at Zhills. Wanna make a jump? My treat to show I don't take any of this personal.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Operating Costs (per offender) Per Day Per Year 

"Long-Term Facilities"
State Prisons (Close security and higher)** $50.53 $18,445

I would've thought it would be higher, like the cost of the cell, but I guess they engineered the need for lots of guards out of the picture.

Thanks

A University of Florida study found the EXTRA cost of the process leading to an execution was $2.6 million more than the total cost of the process leading to life imprisonment (including the cost of the imprisonment itself).

The Illinois Governor's Commission on the death penalty concluded that Illinois had spent an EXTRA $800M to $1.1B in capital cases, compared to what it would have spent on life imprisonment, since 1977.

Is it really worth $2.6M to the citizens of Florida to execute one criminal rather than locking him up for life? Couldn't a better use be found for that $2.6M, like improving schools or fixing roads...?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>When I have more time I'll post something contradicting your Googling abilities.

Only thing I had to google was the links to Delawares webpages. Sorry if I just happened to have done a few papers on this topic before. :ph34r:

Yep, me too. And we're here arguing with people that might have finished high school, but regardless, the proponents of the DP simply aren't answering the questions posted because they realize they can't answer them and make a strong case for CP.

I've posted tons of stuff that the DP proponents avoid. Tell me when you are willing to answer them.

Your example of a DZ doesn't work here since the objective of the court process isn't to make money. Instead, lacking the appropriate staff (which I'm sure is almost always the case with DAs offices) lengthens the wait for trials to see a courtroom.

Contrary to what you might think, I'm not trying to argue that it's cheaper to kill them... because I don't know if it is. I just want to find out how the math works (and it seems there's more than a few ways) when people tell me that killing someone costs X million more than life sentences.

Phree made a good illustration that lengthy trials, like death penalty cases (but certainly not ONLY death cases), place a time and resource burden on the DA and legal system that will eventually require them to hire more staff to maintain that "pesky" expedient trial thing. But even then, it is impossible to get exact numbers of exactly how that increases costs to taxpayers. I see how some people account for it, but I can see that others could easily argue that their methodology doesn't 100% stack up as well.

Thanks for all the answers though, I'm learning!:P
Oh, hello again!

Quantum mechanics doesn't make sense either, but it happens to be right. At one time it was just the province of academics, but now you can buy quantum devices at your local Best Buy (in fact, you are looking at one as you read this)

You keep dismissing other's evidence but offer nothing of your own except comments on their type of "smarts".

When people have zero to intellectually add, they refer to 'street smarts.' That's like saying you're running on fumes as your gas gauge drops below, "E."

These guys can't/won't touch any empirical evidence, just GW-based emotion.

It's cheaper to kill them. In Florida the average time on death row for an inmte is 11 years. Rather spend money for just 11 years as opposed to their entire lives.

Slightly simplistic, I would suggest you look at the other factors as well.

Right, but these guys apparently have enough 'street smarts' to realize the trap they enter if they say we should eliminate the appeal process.

I asked the question in another post because I wonder if the death penalty deters criminals from trials they probably won't win. Otherwise, the state's paying, what do you have to lose?

A University of Florida study found the EXTRA cost of the process leading to an execution was $2.6 million more than the total cost of the process leading to life imprisonment (including the cost of the imprisonment itself).

Is there a link to that study, if it is available online? I'd like to see how they did the math.... it'd help answer some of my questions.
Oh, hello again!

Thanks for all the answers though, I'm learning!:P

Your example of a DZ doesn't work here since the objective of the court process isn't to make money. Instead, lacking the appropriate staff (which I'm sure is almost always the case with DAs offices) lengthens the wait for trials to see a courtroom.

Oh it does too. Geeeez, drop the partiality! It's not verbatum, but it exemplifies the cost projections. Furthermore, the court is on a budget and towns are incorporated. STOP the avoidance. It's obvious you have an agenda to promote CP, so just show it instead of acting as if you're impartial and learning.

Contrary to what you might think, I'm not trying to argue that it's cheaper to kill them... because I don't know if it is. I just want to find out how the math works (and it seems there's more than a few ways) when people tell me that killing someone costs X million more than life sentences.

Yawn....

Phree made a good illustration that lengthy trials, like death penalty cases (but certainly not ONLY death cases), place a time and resource burden on the DA and legal system that will eventually require them to hire more staff to maintain that "pesky" expedient trial thing. But even then, it is impossible to get exact numbers of exactly how that increases costs to taxpayers. I see how some people account for it, but I can see that others could easily argue that their methodology doesn't 100% stack up as well.

Phreezone made many good points. Also, there isn't the need for exacting numbers here, just a trend for more lawyers, more prosecutors, more judges, more investigators, more courts, etc.....

This isn't rocket science, the murder rate is increasing and the need for more prisons, more courts, more of everything is proportionately climbing too. One form of relief is that when welfare is moe abundant and/or the economy is doing better, it seems as if the crime reate drops all around.