Kennedy

Glock Perfection: The Only Thing Good Enough For The Gunny

Does that mean "the doctor" always means Doctor Kildare, then?

I would've taken you more for a Dr. Who fan. :P

Indeed - see this

DOH!

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

That extra bit makes all the difference.

Yeah, it can...it didn't for me though. I had a better grip with the extension, but I still had a hard time really holding on to it...

It was probably more of a mind fuck then truely a problem. I've found fullsized frame short barrel weapons are becoming a big favorite now, though.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You wanna really piss of someone who's anti-glock (some 1911 freaks tend to be really anti-glock), out shoot them at a tactical defense course then keep shooting after their high-end bench made 1911 breaks.

I don't see many that like both Sig and Glock greatly. It's a very different feel. I had wanted a G17, but since owning a 226 and a 229, not a chance.

I don't see many that like both Sig and Glock greatly.

I have been issued both and they are both great weapons. As long as they function well, they are really just tools to me.

Yeah, Sigs are very nice. They just don't fit in my hand very well, although I've shot quite a few different models over the years, I still just can't get them to fit right.

The fullsized Glocks and 1911's fit like they were made for my hand, though.:P

Yea the 36 and the 27 were small in my hands too, but once I got the plus one extended floor plate for the mags, it was all good then. That extra bit makes all the difference.

I can't remember which one the 36 is, but I know that the original sub-compacts were the 26 and 27... Is that what you guys meant, or is the 36 another sub-compact?

Dave, have you had to replace anything on your 17 with all those rounds? Are you still on the original barrel, striker, and extractor? If so, WOW. I've bought replacement parts as spares of the latter two, and I probably don't fire more than a few hundred rounds through my 27 in a year!

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I carry a P220 on duty and wear the 27 on my ankle love um both. If both were on the night stand and I had to choose I would go with the 220 tho.

Why not take advantage of the interchangeability of the magazines with the sub-compact 27 and the full-size 22? Both are .40, and you could use the full-size mags in the 27 should you need to use it as a backup... :)
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

The 36 is the newest sub compact .45ACP I think. Which models use the .45GLOCK rounds? I have seen a guy accidentally load a glock 45 round in his ACP.45 pistol. It fired then it locked up his slide. Our armorer had to beat it of with a rubber mallet to get the brass out.

Dave, have you had to replace anything on your 17 with all those rounds? Are you still on the original barrel, striker, and extractor? If so, WOW

I haven't replaced anything, but I've also been very dilligent cleaning after every single shooting day (cleaning the gun literally 3-4 times a week there for a while), so I think that helped a bit. There is some serious wear on the extractor and the barrel, but I haven't *seen* any cracks and the accuracy is still good so I think its ok.

You've got me thinking, I might take it to a gunsmith buddy of mine and have him look it over just incase.

With some of the people I used to hang around with, 14,000rds is NOTHING to put through a weapon. One of the guys (an ex DPS range training officer) had put over 100,000rds through a Kimber he had. I guess its all about frame of reference.

Now days since lately I've been shooting very little, like around 2000-3000rds a year I've felt like I've barely been shooting at all and I feel really rusty on some of the skills I used to be very good at...and come to find out, most folks only shoot *maybe* a couple hundred rounds a year, if they shoot at all.

I've shot over 14,000rds though my Glock 17

I'm curious how you know that number. Do you keep a log or something?

I don't have a clue how many rounds have gone through any of my barrels. I just know to replace them when the accuracy starts going to heck. And my AR-15 is due...

I didn't keep a log, but I have a rough idea how much I shot for two years simply by how many boxes of ammo I bought. I only have 1 9mm weapon so all the 9mm ammo I bought went through that weapon. That was the number I came up with over about 2 1/2 years of heavy shooting I did between 2001 and 2003, 2003-present I haven't been keeping up with how much or little I've been shooting. So the number I came up with was primarily the number of rounds from 2001 through 2003, which was roughly 12,000 and a guess on top of that for the past year and a half.

I was issued a 220 by the department. I chose the 27 as a backup off of a approved list. I agree with you about the idea of using 2 guns that can use the same mags.

Are the people who would make such a change authorized not able to be approached about doing so?

I mean, it's a very logical thing to do, and has the potential to save an officer's life! The G22 is not on any approved issue list as a primary duty weapon?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Is there a smaller sig that can use the 220 magazines?

If not, can you choose to carry a Glock 22 instead of the 220? Or are you locked into the 220 and only have options for backup carry?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Never liked Glocks. Very unaccurate and unreliable.

You're the only person I've ever heard say that.
(other than a golden years 1911 fan who had never even fired a Glock)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy,

You know there was an IPSC shooter with a bench made 1911 that said that exact same thing to me before we started shooting. It really pissed him off when I out shot him then his 1911 had a break down. His recoil spring broke and I kept shooting.

There are more accurate weapons out there, but they tend to be less reliable...the "nail drivers" have tolerances so tight they have jams and such. Glocks have proven over the course of the past 20 years to be extremely accurate for their job (not target shooting, but real life shooting by cops and others) and have built a HUGE reputation for being extremely reliable. If they weren't both, they wouldn't be as popular as they are today with people that depend on them (cops, etc).

You're the only person I've ever heard say that.

I've fired just about every weapon there is. I would not own nor suggest Glocks to anyone. They may be usable for cops, security guards, etc... but in the real world they don't hold up to the stress and harsh conditions encountered in the military.

Always be weary of cops who tell you their "expert" opinion about weapons and their personal favorites. Most law enforcement officers are extremely poor when it comes to marksmanship let alone have experience firing thousands among thousands of rounds in a week with various weapons to hold any sort of worthy opinion.

Stick to H&H or SS.

Forty-two

They may be usable for cops, security guards, etc... but in the real world they don't hold up

Wow. Cops aren't in the real world. Takes balls to make a statement like that.

Most law enforcement officers are extremely poor when it comes to marksmanship let alone have experience firing thousands among thousands of rounds in a week with various weapons to hold any sort of worthy opinion.

I know a lot of cops that shoot a LOT. They're the ones that end up teaching tactical courses for other cops and civilians. They're the ones winning meets with the IDPA and IPSC. They're the ones protecting your ass day in and day out.

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of pistols and pistol crafts is insufficient (though not insignificant).

However, I've never heard of any other brand of pistol being shot 187,000 times with only one pin being replaced. (and it's breaking did not result in a stoppage)

I've never heard of another brand of pistol that can have a chemical degreaser used on it, then be fired 100 times with zero malfuntions.

I've heard of every sort of abuse being performed on a Glock and it coming through none the worse for the wear. While I don't doubt H&Ks, or Sigs, I do wonder why some people hate the Glock so.
witty subliminal message
1*

I do wonder why some people hate the Glock so.

Because a shitload of people have one so its not a "cool" weapon. Since its not a cool weapon and everyone has one, some people go out of their way to make the weapon look bad to make themselves feel better. Its also an attempt to make those individuals look smarter...all in all its a pretty lame practice. For instance I'll say that I personally don't like Berreta weapons, but some people do and love them, that doesn't mean those people don't know what their doing or aren't really good shooters. Its just what they like.

Its like saying "people who don't jump Vector containers know jack shit about skydiving" or even "people who jump Racers are self absorbed jumpers and even though they have their AFF rating they know jack shit about skydiving."

Never liked Glocks. Very unaccurate and unreliable.

The H&k and Sig are fine weapons. I am currently issued a P229, it's a handful with hot rounds but I like it just fine, but to say the Glock is unaccurate or unreliable is well, ...inaccurate. The first time I was given a Glock for field testing back in 1986, I shot the qual course clean and I had never had the thing in my hand before. My personal experience in real-world LE is that Sigs malfunction more often than Glocks do.