PhillyKev

Good thing there are laws limiting the federal debt...

Yep, and it comes on the heels of Greenspan warning the government that they have to do something about the debt or have the dollar become seriously devalued. "What? You mean that if we just spend spend spend and don't bother paying any of it back, there are consequences?" Look for a 'resignation' of Greenspan in the near future; people who warn of impending problems don't last long in this administration.

Interesting thing about that is for years, Greenspan touted the philsophy that nat'l debt and deficit aren't really that important. But, that was based on the numbers of the past. He's changed that philosophy now that it has skyrocketed and now says it is the most important problem we are currently facing.

As far as his resignation, he's expected to retire in the next year or two.

On the up side, the economic recovery continues it's pace of a fifth straight month of declines for every major economic indicator. [:/]

I guess he is just planning for the future, huh? Now...what was he saying during the election about how he will get the deficit under control? How is asking for another $800 billion in debt working towards that goal??? I guess he really wants to break the record of the largest deficit yet:S

Guess this is a watermark of what the next four years will be like....more debt. So much for a recovering economy.

Yep, and it comes on the heels of Greenspan warning the government that they have to do something about the debt or have the dollar become seriously devalued. "What? You mean that if we just spend spend spend and don't bother paying any of it back, there are consequences?" Look for a 'resignation' of Greenspan in the near future; people who warn of impending problems don't last long in this administration.

Mr. Greenspan also warned Europe in his speach.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Mr. Greenspan also warned Europe in his speach.

IIRC the speech was given while he was in Europe, right? Maybe just making a relevant observation for the audience?

And nothing,,,, just a statement. I found it curious though that he said it.

BTW- What Key market indicators are you referring to?

I know that unemployment is still higher in Chicago than the average...and that only lists those that are collecting benefits, it does not track those that used up all six months of funds. There is still a greater net loss of jobs under Bush than those created.

Also, jobs that are being found are paying much less than the jobs they held before. Underemployed is a serious problem right now.

And nothing,,,, just a statement. I found it curious though that he said it.

I know that unemployment is still higher in Chicago than the average...and that only lists those that are collecting benefits, it does not track those that used up all six months of funds. There is still a greater net loss of jobs under Bush than those created.

Also, jobs that are being found are paying much less than the jobs they held before. Underemployed is a serious problem right now.

Unemployment is not an issue except in select locations throughout the country. We have had this discussion before. Due to many market factors in the mid-late 90's profits and salaries were inflated.... They were corrected, as was the stock market.

Now, there are some upsides to a weak dollar!!!

Index of consumer expectations, real money supply, interest rate spread, vendor performance, average weekly manufacturing hours, building permits, and manufacturers’ new orders for nondefense capital goods

Now, there are some upsides to a weak dollar!!!

Not when you're talking about debt and increasing borrowing. The debt and deficit problems are much worse than they appear because we are borrowing this money while the dollar is weak, and will have to pay it back when it is stronger.

For example. Today I can buy an orange for $1. I need 1000 oranges, so I borrow $1000. Next year when I pay back that $1000, the value of a dollar has risen so that $1 would buy 2 oranges. In effect, I borrowed 1000 oranges and have to repay that loan with 2000 oranges (and that's before any interest is accrued).

>so tell me what parts of the budget you would have slashed.

1. Eliminate oil/coal company subsidies. (5 billion a year for coal and oil subsidies.)

2. Eliminate private company subsidies. (1 billion total for Wal-Mart alone.)

3. Eliminate unneccesary wars. Savings from Iraq war would be $145 billion (so far.)

> Leaving out the Iraq War . . .

You mean, how do we cut the budget assuming we can't change anything? That's easy - you don't. The dollar plummets and our economy collapses (which, in the long run, will solve the problem of what to cut.)

Oooh..the old "collapsing economy" scenario. Everybody run..the sky is falling. Why are you so negative all the time?;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

For starters, missile defense and trip to mars.

Missile defence..... Putin just anounced he has a new Nuke missile system which is far superior to any before it..... Ummm. I think defence is a good thing to keep.

Let's get rid of welfare first.... Then let's get rid of half the employees in the IRS and streamline their jobs!!

Index of consumer expectations, real money supply, interest rate spread, vendor performance, average weekly manufacturing hours, building permits, and manufacturers’ new orders for nondefense capital goods

Yes, but the invasion of Iran will increase orders for defense capital goods and set the economy straight.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For starters, missile defense and trip to mars.

Missile defence..... Putin just anounced he has a new Nuke missile system which is far superior to any before it..... Ummm. I think defence is a good thing to keep.

Missile defense has yet to pass a single test that hasn't been rigged. It does not work, it will not work, it will never work.

Learn the lessons of history:
Expensive castles succumbed to cheap cannons, expensive armour succumbed to cheap arrows, expensive battleships succumbed to cheap bombs, expensive tanks succumb to cheap RPGs, and expensive missile shields will succumb to cheap decoys and guys carrying suitcase nukes.

A new system designed, specificaly, to reliably penetrate any missile defence system US might put up in the near future. This is very funny ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

>so tell me what parts of the budget you would have slashed.

1. Eliminate oil/coal company subsidies. (5 billion a year for coal and oil subsidies.)

2. Eliminate private company subsidies. (1 billion total for Wal-Mart alone.)

3. Eliminate unneccesary wars. Savings from Iraq war would be $145 billion (so far.)

How about $3B/year in funding for Israel? More than we give to all the sub-Saharan countries of Africa combined.