nigel99

Terrorist attack on Houses of Parliament - UK

13 religious extremests smuggled 36 barrels of explosives into the basement of the House of Lords with the intention of destroying the Houses of Parliament.

In the early hours of November 5th special forces raided the basement and caught the ring leader.

The leader (Guy Fawkes) was tortured and sentenced to death.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

13 religious extremests smuggled 36 barrels of explosives into the basement of the House of Lords with the intention of destroying the Houses of Parliament.

In the early hours of November 5th special forces raided the basement and caught the ring leader.

And now every year they celebrate his execution with "Guy Fawkes Day," glorying in the fact that they put him to death for threatening their democracy.

Someone should tell them that it's wrong to feel bloodlust and to glory in vengeance. Wendy W. and PhillyKev called that "disgusting" behavior in another thread. Said it was wrong, even if the person you are vengeful against was trying to kill or rob you... [:/]

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

And now every year they celebrate his execution with "Guy Fawkes Day," glorying in the fact that they put him to death for threatening their democracy

I think its a little more diluted than that nowadays....

Every year I celebrate the fact I can set off fireworks eat bonfire toffee and party some. (ohh yeah! Are you free to set off fireworks? :Plol)

Kinda like Christmas really, more a tradition than the true meaning!

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Every year I celebrate the fact I can set off fireworks eat bonfire toffee and party some. (ohh yeah! Are you free to set off fireworks? :Plol)

Um, yes. Why would you doubt that? We have fireworks stores here that are open all year 'round!

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Only reason I doubted was in my last trip to Sebastian - we had a discussion about fireworks (they had some in the training room) and I was told they were not legally allowed to have them? and they would have trouble if they were caught setting them off?

Just what I was told - hurrah if you can!:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

"Bonfire Night" is reference to the capture of a Catholic suicide bomber from 400 years ago. He was carrying out the mandate of the Pope who had excommunicated the King thus ensuring reverence for whoever killed him... hmmm... does that not sound a little like a Fatwa urging Jehad?

Hmm... just been doing a little digging around.... and it looks like there is legislation in Florida about buying fireworks?!

Hey PJ - looks like our nanny state here has infected the US in a pre-emptive manner :D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

There are certain classes of fireworks that are allowed, and certain ones that are not.

The ones that are not tend to be more akin to partial sticks of dynamite than "fireworks" in the sense of sparkling rockets and such.

Many would argue there is good reason to restrict the bigger boom-booms. I have a hard time arguing against that.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

:o Now I wasnt expecting that! lol

Cus this is a parallel that I would have thought infringed on peoples freedom....

Large display fireworks are designed to be pretty, not to blow things up... a tool right? :P

If someone wanted to blow things up... they could buy lots of small fireworks and cut them up...

So why would display fireworks be restricted? Damn governments :ph34r::D:P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

"Bonfire Night" is reference to the capture of a Catholic suicide bomber from 400 years ago.

Err... Wasn't Guy Fawkes a professional soldier - probably the only professional among them? Suicide certainly WASN't part of his plan - look at the way he cheated the punishment.[:/]

Anyway... Every 5th November we celebrate the failure of the gunpoder plotters to blow up the houses of parliament in a typically English way; by setting off gunpowder!:S

Personally, I'm not all that sure we have all much to celebrate!?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Yeah, he was a professional soldier – a mercenary in the Catholic Spanish Army fighting Protestants in the Netherlands. He was a religious zealot who travelled abroad to fight against people because they were of another religion (or hell – another version of the same religion).

That’s linked to his reasons for trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament with the King in them. The Pope had excommunicated the King and thus placed a mandate on all Catholics to remove him from the mortal coil. At least that was what he told the King immediately after his capture.

As to whether or not he could have escaped the blast of 2500kg of gunpowder I have no idea. It would have been a biggy… although no doubt he had intended to make off unharmed.

By the way, we’re not celebrating Fawkes’s death – more the thwarting of a major terrorist attack designed to take out the seat of our government and legislature. I’m sure 9/11 would be a national holiday in the states if we had managed to land all the planes safely and capture the terrorists.

The attempt was thwarted on the 5th of November – thus we celebrate that day. Fawkes wasn’t executed until the 31st January the following year… if we were celebrating his death surely we would have a January holiday?

How did Fawkes escape punishment by the way? Didn’t we hang draw and quarter him? That’s gotta be a bit of a pain no matter what you do about it.

"How did Fawkes escape punishment by the way? Didn’t we hang draw and quarter him? That’s gotta be a bit of a pain no matter what you do about it."

He jumped as he was about to be hung and broke his neck. Thus he was dead BEFORE being drawn and quartered.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

If only they had TV in those days eh?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1298089#1298089

anyways..
"When questioned by the King how he could conspire such a hideous treason, Fawkes replied that a dangerous disease required a desperate remedy, and that his intentions were to blow the Scotsmen present back into Scotland."
He got what he deserved..bastard.B|

"How did Fawkes escape punishment by the way?"

I think his neck broke when they hung him, the rest (drawing and quartering) was just show.
"His body being weak with the torture and sickness he was scarce able to go up the ladder, yet with much ado, by the help of the hangman, went high enough to break his neck by the fall."
from http://www.britannia.com/history/g-fawkes.html
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Hmm... just been doing a little digging around.... and it looks like there is legislation in Florida about buying fireworks?!

Hey PJ - looks like our nanny state here has infected the US in a pre-emptive manner :D

In Illinois just about all fireworks except sparklers are illegal. But you can possess 50 pounds of gunpowder for antique firearms! No model rockets with more than 2 oz of propellant without a federal license. It's all very logical.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

While we're on the subject, has anyone here seen the news footage of the Danish fireworks store that exploded recently? Apparently the owners had a licence to store something like 300 tonnes of fireworks, but Danish police believe the facility may have been storing many many times that quantity.

The TV footage was spectacular, but sadly at least one firefighter was killed trying to control the blaze.

Useless trivia hat on....

One of the UK's most popular DZ's is one of the UK's biggest fireworks stores. Old WWII Hurricane base see (clue) and they're stored in one of the old concrete semi underground bunkers.

I expect it's near empty this time of year though.

Some reports said 2000 tonnes, others up to 3000 tonnes.

It was in Kolding, there's other spectacular footage of a similar event at Enschede in Holland, if anyone feels like doing the Google thing.

Fireworks scare my Dawg, so both of us will be doing the valium thang tonight.:)B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

does that not sound a little like a Fatwa urging Jehad

I've always maintained that Islam is only a few hundred years behind the times. Christianity had the Inquisition, the Crusades, with hunts, etc.

Islam is going through its stage right now...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"Penny for the Guy, guv!" :D

mh