Bill Number: S 2549
Issue: Civil Rights
Date: 06/20/2000
Sponsor: Amendment sponsored by Hatch R-UT; Bill sponsored by Warner, R-VA

Roll Call Number: 0135
Amendment adopted
Full Member List

Senator John Forbes Kerry voted NO.

Vote on an amendment that would authorize $5 million per year for fiscal 2001 and 2002 for the Justice Department to conduct a study for the purposes of assisting state and local authorities in investigating and prosecuting hate crimes.

S 2549: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001

Vote on an amendment that would authorize $5 million per year for fiscal 2001 and 2002 for the Justice Department to conduct a study for the purposes of assisting state and local authorities in investigating and prosecuting hate crimes. Among other provisions, the amendment calls for the Justice Department to conduct a one-year study on hate crimes and requires the Comptroller General from the General Accounting Office to report to Congress on hate crime activity.
(Amendment sponsored by Hatch R-UT; Bill sponsored by Warner, R-VA)
Amendment adopted 50-49: R 48-6; D 2-43 on 06/20/2000

So he does not support civil rights?

Or he just does not want to pay for it...I mean its bad and all, but we don't think its worth money to fix it?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'd vote against that too. $5 million to just conduct a study into a law we don't need? Prosecute all crimes as if they were hate crimes; that way you don't need special laws or $5 million dollar studies to see if there's a difference.

Would you really vote for $5 million for a study on hate crimes? No enforcement, no extra cops, no additional prosecutors, just a _study_?

I'd vote against that too. $5 million to just conduct a study into a law we don't need? Prosecute all crimes as if they were hate crimes; that way you don't need special laws or $5 million dollar studies to see if there's a difference.

Would you really vote for $5 million for a study on hate crimes? No enforcement, no extra cops, no additional prosecutors, just a _study_?

So you would rather just prosecute whoever you felt under whatever you felt instead of studying the problem first?

I see, hit first, ask questions later.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>So you would rather just prosecute whoever you felt under whatever
>you felt instead of studying the problem first?

Yes. Prosecute people for crimes. Period. We have a serious money problem in this country right now; if you actually have 5 million to spend for law enforcement, spend it on cops, not a study.

>So you would rather just prosecute whoever you felt under whatever
>you felt instead of studying the problem first?

Yes. Prosecute people for crimes. Period. We have a serious money problem in this country right now; if you actually have 5 million to spend for law enforcement, spend it on cops, not a study.

I gotta agree with Bill on this one. I never thought we needed a special hate crime law to begin with. Prosecute all violent crimes as hate crimes.

can't believe i am going to say this

I agree with bill.

Instead of having new laws... let's just enforce the ones we got already.
Murder is murder whether it is racially motivated or not.
Assault is Assault.
the list goes on!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

can't believe i am going to say this

I agree with bill.

Instead of having new laws... let's just enforce the ones we got already.
Murder is murder whether it is racially motivated or not.
Assault is Assault.
the list goes on!!!

I gotta get to the hospital. My heartbeat is getting irregular and the temperature outside has drop to 25 degrees. I also think I'm beginning to hallucinate. :ph34r::ph34r:

I would vote against that as well. it is a complete waste of money. Hate crime laws make no sense. You prosecute someone for the crime they commited, not what they were thinking when they did it.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Seems to me, he's voting your position on these issues.

Again, you don't know me...So I would hope you quit putting words into my mouth.

I do find it funny YOUR candidate seems to be against all of YOUR beliefs.

>Again, you don't know me

No, but we do know what you post. So if you rail against the government giving away welfare money to lazy people who don't work, then you say that a liberal candidate should vote to protect that money . . . people may ask which one you really want.

Again, you don't know me...So I would hope you quit putting words into my mouth.

I do find it funny YOUR candidate seems to be against all of YOUR beliefs.

I'm confused, he's voting agains all my beliefs, but he's not voting for your beliefs. Are you saying that you and I have the same beliefs, that's the only way your statement could be true. Or was I correct that he IS voting for your beliefs. Which is it? Don't let me put words in your mouth. Do you agree with his votes on these issues or not?