JohnRich

Woman Arrested for Talking on Cell Phone

In the news:

Sakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metro station several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone. A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro Transit Police.

The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lower her voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how to speak into her cell phone.

Their verbal dispute quickly escalated, and Saoutis grabbed Aaron by the arm and pushed her to the ground. He handcuffed the 23-year-old woman, called for backup and took her to a cell where she was held for three hours before being released to her aunt. She was charged with two misdemeanors: "disorderly manner that disturbed the public peace" and resisting arrest...

Source: Washington Post

You know, if you are in a Metro station and talkign loudly enough for a cop to take notice, there's something amiss.

According to other reports, she was "cursing loudly" on her cell phone. Then when he approached she tried to break away.

My impression? Some chick who is royally pissed off at someone making a scene that is disturbing everyone else, and then starts to throw a fit to someone telling her to calm down, namely a cop.

I think the cell phone is a bit player on this one.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I was at LAX a week ago and a guy waiting at the gate was having a VERY LOUD conversation on his cell phone with some business associate.

I wonder if such people realize how loud they are, and that everyone within 100 feet can hear their side of the conversation.

I think it's boorish.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

> She was prolly anti gun, and a republican too.

Agreed. Had she been a democrat, the cop would have been justified in dragging her by her hair into his police car.

Only after a smart flogging of her.[:/]

Actually there is so much missing from this story - like, oh, I dunno - the DIALOGUE!

Getting angry with a PO is not grounds for arrest.

"Just cuz you say so" is not a reason to lower my voice.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I was at LAX a week ago and a guy waiting at the gate was having a VERY LOUD conversation on his cell phone with some business associate.

I wonder if such people realize how loud they are, and that everyone within 100 feet can hear their side of the conversation.

I think it's boorish.

I definately Agree....

I was on a plane at LGA and we were waiting 20 mins for a gate to open... I had to listen to this moron behind me get rejectd about 5 times by this girl on the phone... It was slightly comical, but mostly annoying. He was practically begging her to come visit him in DC. He kept explaining how difficult it was for him to "have these feelings for her" and not have them shared equally.

PUT THE F***ING PHONE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOD!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

And this from MSNBC:

Deputy Chief Timothy Gronau said Monday that Officer George Saoutis followed police procedure after Aaron refused to stop cursing loudly during a cell phone conversation and became abusive and uncooperative.

Aaron said the officer approached her as she walked to catch a bus, telling her to keep her voice down. She twice tried to break away, but he caught her arm, then placed her face down, handcuffed her, and charged her with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Doesn't really sound like the cell phone had much to do with it... Should pregnant women be automatically excused for disorderly conduct?

Actually there is so much missing from this story - like, oh, I dunno - the DIALOGUE!

BINGO!

" Deputy Chief Timothy Gronau said Monday that Officer George Saoutis followed police procedure after Aaron refused to stop cursing loudly during a cell phone conversation and became abusive and uncooperative."
http://www.woai.com/news/national/story.aspx?content_id=5ADA77BC-5994-4326-9786-EFD2D73B333C

Not for nothing but if she was cursing loudly in a public place, the cops have the right to ask her to stop, and if she refuses, arrest her for disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct.... Seems like she refused arrest as well.

Too bad for her!!! Maybe she'll learn, but I doubt it!!!

Should they be???? NO

THe cop doesn't know she is 5mo pregnant, and she put herself in this situation, not the cops.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions..... I have a pool running here at work to guess how much she'll sue for.

Chris

Actually her name makes her sound African American or foreign. Care to re-evaluate? Maybe THAT'S the issue.

A photo of the woman in the story shows that she is African-American. It does not indicate the race of the policeman. Whether that was a factor, we don't know.

The officer had the right to ask her to quiet down her phone cursing. If she had responded by saying: "Yes, officer, you're correct, I'm sorry," then nothing more would have come of it. It was her beligerent response which caused the matter to escalate.

The officer had the right to ask her to quiet down her phone cursing. If she had responded by saying: "Yes, officer, you're correct, I'm sorry," then nothing more would have come of it. It was her beligerent response which caused the matter to escalate.

Ok, I guess I misunderstood why you were posting this. I thought you were "outraged" or something. Typically that's what these kinds of posts indicate.

Actually her name makes her sound African American or foreign. Care to re-evaluate? Maybe THAT'S the issue.

It probably is an issue because you are making it one!!!!!
Why The F*** does race have to be an issue????
Damn .... good speculation there!!!