funks

I couldn't care less who the President is

I dont even vote. I really dont see the point. They are all liars, snakes and con artists who claim they are here to save our wonderful country. Well guess what, I just dont see anybody having enough of an impact on my day to day activities for me to give a shit. Politics are nothing but a game and the award goes to whomever the best actor is. Spare me your bullshit.

Sure there are those that will say what about taxes, and the economy and all that crap. Ok, what about it? We will pay taxes until the day we die. They will always go up and down. And dont get me started on the economy. I guess Clinton was responsible for the Tech boom of the late 90's and early 2000? Bullshit. Our economy will always go up and down no matter who is in office.

Screw the war subject also. We will never see the end to wars as long as any of us are alive. We will always be fighting with someone, young kids will always be sent off to fight, and yes, they will die. If anybody thinks this will ever stop with XYZ president then you are nuts. The only way to do away with war is for the world to do away with their respective militaries. It will never happen.

For every one thing that a president does right, there will be a line of people pointing out everything he did wrong, no matter who is in office. It will never change. It is all bullshit and to be honest with you I am amazed at the number of people who get wrapped up emotionally with the crap these people dish out.

I personally do not believe in acting like a fool and pretending that one is better than the other. Once again, spare me the bullshit. Politicians are equally manipulative and have one agenda in mind, their own personal success.

President = Scapegoat. Thats all.

AMEN!!! (except for the part about not voting, but everything else you said, I agree with.)

Wow, you took the words out of my mouth.

VOTE PEROT!!! Oh wait, he's not running this year, is he ? ?

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I dont even vote. I really dont see the point. They are all liars, snakes and con artists who claim they are here to save our wonderful country. Well guess what, I just dont see anybody having enough of an impact on my day to day activities for me to give a shit. Politics are nothing but a game and the award goes to whomever the best actor is. Spare me your bullshit.

Sure there are those that will say what about taxes, and the economy and all that crap. Ok, what about it? We will pay taxes until the day we die. They will always go up and down. And dont get me started on the economy. I guess Clinton was responsible for the Tech boom of the late 90's and early 2000? Bullshit. Our economy will always go up and down no matter who is in office.

Screw the war subject also. We will never see the end to wars as long as any of us are alive. We will always be fighting with someone, young kids will always be sent off to fight, and yes, they will die. If anybody thinks this will ever stop with XYZ president then you are nuts. The only way to do away with war is for the world to do away with their respective militaries. It will never happen.

For every one thing that a president does right, there will be a line of people pointing out everything he did wrong, no matter who is in office. It will never change. It is all bullshit and to be honest with you I am amazed at the number of people who get wrapped up emotionally with the crap these people dish out.

I personally do not believe in acting like a fool and pretending that one is better than the other. Once again, spare me the bullshit. Politicians are equally manipulative and have one agenda in mind, their own personal success.

President = Scapegoat. Thats all.

DUDE! THIS IS [I]MASTERFUL[/I]! I agree completely, too. I've been trying to get my father to understand this for the last few years. He calls me a "nihilist" -- simply because despite 64 years on this world, he has not figured out that the fact that we are human beings means we will always have these very same problems until we go extinct. That is beyond arguing

I ask my dad why it is not ridiculous of him to expect that something our president and elected reps do this term will somehow end war, end fighting, end disease, end conflict, end any of the ills that have plagued mankind for tens of thousands of years. He has no good answer, of course, because the truth is it is preposterous, naive, and misguidedly arrogant, to expect that OUR generation will be the blessed one that figures out the answers we have been seeking for... well... all time.

You are right, Funks. It's all a big dog and pony show, meaningless, and worse than meaningless, it's pernicious and preys on our collective gullibility to get us to grant power, prestige and wealth on the very liars who are taking advantage of us.

Nonetheless, find myself allowing myself to get embroiled in these discussions on Speakers Corner: not because I think I'll turn the tide and get people to accept my wonderful answers to all these problems and implement them, but because it's cathartic to vent steam about it all.

But you're right. Absolutely nothing's gonna change. I'm glad there are people like you out there who, like me, understand that.

Just skydive on the weekends. It makes the pain go away. :)
Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

You get the government you deserve.

That is absolute garbage. You might try to make that float when talking about society in general, but are you saying that people who voted for Gore and got stuck with Bush "deserved" that and ohh but for them just not doing enough to ensure Gore's victory, they would have had their preferred leader?

I did nothing to deserve the government passing the Assault Weapons Ban. I was powerless to stop that, even with the letters i wrote here and there and everywhere, and the money I sent groups to oppose it in Congress.

That aphorism is one of the most puerile, stupid ones that get kicked around. It is simply not true but in the most useless general sense.

-
-Jeffrey

What I believe is that if people are apathetic about the process and decide to not even vote, then they get a crappy government and they shouldn't compain about it because, they're part of the problem.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You get the government you deserve.

I never thought I would agree with Bill O'Reilly, but he said some stuff tonight that I caught between the 2nd intermission between the Canada/USA World Cup hockey game (and if someone has the time to quote it, you would be above me ... but I've been drinking Te-kill-ya). Anyway, Bill basically said that the government is not responsible for our actions nor are they responsible for our futures. Only we as individuals can be responsible for the things that we do. It doesn't matter if the DEMs or the PUBs are in office. If we as individuals don't take responsibility for what we do on a day to day basis, then who will?

But don't get me on bringing innocent people into an unwanted war. I'm drunk, and we don't need to go down that road. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Anyway, Bill basically said that the government is not responsible for our actions nor are they responsible for our futures.

In the micro, I'd agree to a certain extent.
In the macro, I'd say he's never read the preamble to the U.S. Constitution.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Seems to me that government (we the people) are responsible for quite a bit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What I believe is that if people are apathetic about the process and decide to not even vote, then they get a crappy government and they shouldn't compain about it because, they're part of the problem.

They're only apathetic because experience has taught them that voting never EVER got ANYBODY good government, or even any real improvement of life in general that wasn't gonna happen at random anyway. It's people who still believe in the system who are being silly and gullible. Life will just be what life will just be, until ya die. If you think that if Kerry wins, and even IF he can extricate us from our foreign involvements, and even IF he were to miraculously come up with a miracle energy source that uses PowerBar wrappers to run gigawatt generators, humanity would still suffer and wallow in its own excrement of animosity and hatred and poverty and disease and dishonesty and deception. What do you really think Kerry can possibly change? Shit, even Jesus Christ was not able to lead the whole world into peace! If he couldn't, some regular human, or group of humans, might? Pshyeah.

-
-Jeffrey

The reason that you think things will be about the same no matter who is president is because so many others do care.

That's OK. Go ahead and don't care. Others will take care of it.

I personally have no problem with a large percentage of the population not voting. It is a sign of general satisfaction with the way things are - a good sign.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Then there are those I've met who are quick to inform of their decision not to have kids. Their sole reason is that 'they don't want to subject another human being to such a crappy, imperfect, horrible world we live it'.

Ok....they have a right not to procreate. No problem there in my book.

However, if all decent citizens choose this tactic then the corrupt will over take. We need to continue raising upstanding children into adulthood...by those who know what is right. And keep the world from going down the toilet.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Wow. So we might as well just all give up, sit around and get toasted.

Unfortunately, this gets us nowhere.

Neither does the struggle, and sitting around getting toasted is a whole lot more enjoyable, fwiw... :D

BTW, that's the exact response I get from my dad when I tell him it's all futile. He's always all, "Well, that doesn't mean we shouldn't still strive to make it all better," and I say, "Oh, so if I want to jump to the moon, and it's impossible to ever do, I should keep doing leg presses and practice jumps, and even if I may only increase my vertical leap by a couple of inches, it's worth making the attempt at the impossible, right?" :S

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey