peacefuljeffrey

Make up your mind, you GUN BAN HOPLOPHOBES!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Admit it - you cannot keep guns out of the hands of those whom you do not want to have them

I will not admit it, no such thing.

I do not believe that GUNS are here to stay

In that lies a point. There are some who believe that drugs will be eliminated from America, too. Fat chance. I've never done a drug, ever. And I will make this promise - the instant drugs are eliminated totally from American society, I will go against my personal beliefs and light a doobie.

Using that line of thought, you might suggest we fight cancer with more cancer.

Nope. My line of reasoning is to fight something with power. You cannot fight a gun toting criminal with reason. That requires brains, and yours may be on the ceiling by the time you finish your argument.

You fight against something with a weapon that will work. If a strain of cancer is developed that can fight cancer, why not use it? I'm protected from some illnesses because I was immunized with virus.

How can I protect myself against a gun wielder? With a water balloon? With a seat cushion?

No. With a gun...

In Reply To

Can you guarantee all the criminals would trade in their's, too?

-Matt

If you hit him with the taser first, you would not need to woorry about the gun would you?

Some problems with that:

1) Tasers do not strike as much fear in most people as a gun
2) Tasers can miss. So can guns, but there are more rounds in a gun than a taser
3) Let's hope perp isn't wearing heavy clothing.
4) If tasers were so good, why aren't more people using them?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Maybe I'm strange, but I don't have a problem with that. Might make another person think twice about mugging me.

Really? What about the guy you get into an arguement with at the shopping center line about cutting in line? He takes a shove at you.....is your life in danger? Do you shoot him?

Puh-lease, dude! Talk about your inane example!

For one thing, THE LAW DOES NOT RECOGNIZE YOUR RIGHT TO SHOOT SOMEONE UNLESS YOU (AND ANY REASONABLE PERSON IN YOUR SITUATION) REASONABLY FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE OR A DIRE THREAT TO YOUR SAFETY.

No one would be justified in SHOOTING someone in your example. Case closed.

Why don't you show us that there is a statistically significant occurrence of this little pet situation you describe before you advocate banning guns as a means to address what essentially is not even a recognized problem?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

You advocate a gun for the teacher, i advocate NO gun for the student in the first place. My position is preventative from the beginning, your position is after the fact - already too late.

Your position is naive, the position of those arguing in favor of gun rights is realistic.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

If you hit him with the taser first, you would not need to woorry about the gun would you?

Hope you don't miss.
Hope he's not wearing a thick jacket.
Hope he's actually incapacitated by it.

The Taser is hardly the perfect defensive weapon. If I could only have one, a gun or a Taser, guess which one I would choose? Which one would you choose, TK? Which one?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Pools have other uses in society, like cars. Guns only have the purpose of killing - what they were designed for. That is the difference and why pools should not be banned.

But while on the topic, when pool tragedies happen, we have no trouble enacting new rules to make the pool safer. building fences, stationing lifeguards, insisting on minimum training and parental supervision while using the pool, requiring insurance to cover the cost of actions for the pool owners. And yes even closing the pool (equivalent of taking the pool away)

There is no legislation, no law, no regulation that forces people to EDUCATE THEIR CHILDREN ON HOW TO SWIM. This ability could save thousands upon thousands of lives, and yet people neglect to teach it to their kids. Just three days ago, an 8 year old boy -- of his own volition -- sneaked into a neighbor's property with some friends and jumped into the pool despite not ever having learned to swim. He drowned. He is now dead. The irony is, the pool owner is virtually certain to be named in a lawsuit by his mother, who never taught him or got him taught to swim. SHE won't face any charges. No one will be trying to extricate millions of dollars from HER or HER INSURANCE policy. In fact, even if it is found that the pool owner had the required fences, etc. around the pool, the lawsuit will still be brought on just the hope that money can be collected.

You can "insist on" all kinds of safety methods around pools, such as parental supervision and fences and lifeguards. This instance proves that kids can get around that with ease, and find themselves in circumstances -- however they do it -- in which nothing is there to save them. The only thing that will, at that point, will be the education they should have received onhow to swim. The same goes for kids who come across guns. There is no excuse for people to not teach this to their kids, or find someone who will teach it for them -- even if they don't, as a family, have any guns. Does their not owning any guarantee that the kid and his friend won't find one that's been discarded by a fleeing criminal (happens) or one that belongs to the friend's family (happens)?

No such things exist or are even pursued by the gun lobby.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. What do you call the Eddie Eagle program, which teaches kids who are too young to be taught gun safety to "STOP! DON'T TOUCH! LEAVE THE AREA! TELL AN ADULT!" if they chance upon a gun? What about all the gun use and safety classes run through the NRA?

Die even for minimum crimes? If you can justify killing someone for minor assault (a violent crime), then surely we can justify executing them for the same crime after the fact. Does the crime become less serious just because it was completed?

Not my idea of a cool society. Have you ever been in a fight, any sort of physical confrontation in your life? Did you deserve to die for it? Would you, with a bullet in your belly - say "OK, I deserved that."

You appear unable or unwilling to differentiate between a simle scuffle and a situation in which one person means another grievous bodily harm or death -- and then you go and insinuate that we are equally unable or unwilling to do so, and would shoot a guy over a parking space. Maybe you're projecting what you would do, and your own lack of control... but I know the difference between someone who is a threat to my life, and someone who is merely inconveniencing me.

When someone tries to rob you, particularly if he presents a deadly weapon, you are not under an obligation to determine, in the heat of the exchange, whether he means to kill you or not, because presentation of a deadly weapon is enough of a fair indication that your life is being threatened. At that point, if you do not act to save your own life, you may lose it. You cannot be expected to divine the mind of the attacker and come to a certain conclusion that he means or does not mean to eventually kill you. You may proceed, morally and legally, as though the presentation of the weapon implies an intent to use it. That is plenty fair to your attacker. If he didn't want to give the impression that he is a threat to your life, he should have not produced a weapon that could end it. He gets what he gets because he broke the social contract that says "I won't hurt you, you don't hurt me."

Everyone has rights, no one has responsibilities.
The gun trhing was an amendment, an afterthought.

You are making your ignorance of this subject loud and clear.

The 2nd Amendment was NOT "an afterthought" any more than the FIRST Amendment (freedom of religion, speech, assembly, and petition against government) was. The Constitution was not ratified -- would not have been ratified -- until various states were satisfied that these conditions were met. You are INCORRECT in your implication that the Constitution was written and adopted, and then later on sometime they said, "Oh, yeah, maybe we should protect gun ownership too." You are confused by the word "amendment." You really need a history lesson.

At the time, it seemed liek a good idea. Today, it might be more prudent to 'amend' it again, adding something about your right to own a gun, and your responsibility to be trained, and realize that it is a deadly weapon, not to be taken lightly. Then perhaps we could put some tough laws on people who are not 'responsible'

We don't need an amendment to accomplish "tough laws on people who are not responsible." We have lots of laws, and some very basic ones that make clear you're not permitted to HURT OTHER PEOPLE. Why is the absence of your little amendment here an impediment to prosecuting someone for criminally causing the death of another person? Your arguments are very nearly nonsensical.

Also...I was talking to a guy yesturday. He lived down South when the hurricane hit and the National Guard was called out...It took three days for the NG to be able to start security. Durring that time many people had their belongings ransacked by looters. He didn't. You know why? Because he sat on his rubble of a house with a rifle. Others had to sit and watch while people looted their property...The looters went around his house.
There is a very real application for owning a gun.

I agree, and a very rare one. Do I keep a defibrilation unit in the house in case I have a heart attack - most people cannot affford one. But it is a good idea, does not necessarily justify owning one. But I COULD have a heart attack at any time.

I guess you don't bother to keep a fire extinguisher in the house because it's rare that you'll have a house fire and need it.

Ron's example may be "rare," but it sure is clear that if the guy hadn't had a rifle at the time, his property would have been stolen from him, and he very possibly would have been threatened during the course of the theft. Tell people who are struck by "rare" disasters that preparedness for such rarities was a waste of time. They'll laugh in your face. If you want to deliberately, wilfully, and bull-headedly maintain a state of NON-preparedness because you fear or worry about the means of preparedness, by all means, go right ahead. Don't bother with a spare tire, don't bother with jumper cables, don't bother with flotation vests, don't bother with fire extinguishers, and don't bother with guns.

-
-Jeffrey

Okay... here we go.

1. too many people are dying needlessly from guns No, they're dying from violence. What if the guns were gone and just as many people were dying from knife wounds. That'd please you?
2. simple assualt, or burglary does not justify me killing someone for fear of my life Well it all depends on whether the assault puts the victim in legitimate fear for his life!
3. It would be good for society to liminate 'unwanted guns' and 'unused guns' since they serve no purpose except to possibly be used in a tragic accident.If they're so unwanted or unused, by definition, they're probably sitting in a safe or closet doing no harm to anybody.
4. training, and licensing should be mandatory, which would go a long way to reduce the number of guns (unwanted and unused) since people who were 'sitting on the fence' probably would not bother, while well-trained Glock-totin' individuals like Ron would be fine to carry one.So it becomes ever more clear that it's not saving lives you want to accomplish -- just reduce the number of guns. You want training to be mandated NOT to have people be better trained, but to keep people from bothering to go through with acquiring guns. How sick of you. That's like saying that you advocate driver training not to make the roads safer for those who do drive, but to discourage people from driving. If discouraging people from owning guns is all you want, why not just BAN them? Oh, you'd never get the public to accept that -- I forgot.

We went after Saddam because he had weapons right? Disarm him right? did anyone stand up for his right to defend his country? I did not see any replubicans saying "It's just a society issue with Iraq - not a weapons problem" don't blame the WMD's, blame the guy who has them...... Saddam had, like any violent criminal, proven himself to be unwilling to keep his weapons to himself and to use them only when threatened. He used them offensively. So unless you are advocating giving gun rights back to violent felons after they've served time in prison for harming people with guns, I suggest you abandon this line of "reasoning."

-Jeffrey

1) Registration leads to confiscation. Period. There are no two ways about this. If you want to claim that we gun owners are yelling about a boogeyman with regard to this equation, we have only to point to NEW YORK CITY, WASHINGTON D.C., CALIFORNIA, ENGLAND, AUSTRALIA, and NAZI GERMANY. Those are real-world examples of exactly what we are concerned about: GUNS WERE FIRST REGISTERED, and then the knowledge that the police had regarding who had what guns and where was used TO GUIDE THE POLICE IN THE CONFISCATION OF THOSE GUNS. How can you argue that we are making a big deal out of a phantom fear when it's a fear that has become reality already, even in parts of the United States?!

I could argue that gun manufacturing leads to confiscation. Afterall, the manufacturing came first right? Then the confiscation?

Tying the registration with the confiscation it a stretch in the USA.

THEY USED THE [B]REGISTRATION RECORDS THEMSELVES[/B] TO FIND THE PEOPLE WHO HAD THE GUNS!![/I]

Still think it's a "stretch"?!

Sometimes the police track down a person who committed a hit-and-run with a vehicle by tracing the license plate number to the owner. That owner also has a birth certificate. Do you want to tell us that the birth certificate is what helps the cops find the driver, or is it truthfully the car registration?

Your intellectual dishonesty appears to have no bounds. With this post, you descended to a new low. It's almost hard to believe you mean what you say.

-
-Jeffrey

It's a jerkoff fantasy for disarmament buffs.

- and I do not appreciate the comment being referred to as 'jerk-off'

If you would read what I actually wrote more carefully, you would see that you were not called a jerkoff.

I said it was a "jerkoff fantasy" -- a fantasy used for jerking off.

Get it straight, and don't accuse me of name-calling when I did no such thing.

-
-Jeffrey

What, do you deny that a simple altercation can be escalated by the other party into a life threatening situation, justifying the use of deadly force?

If some putz cuts in line, then shoves me when I call him on it, no big deal. But if he continues to rant and rave, and looks, acts, and talks crazy, then comes at me grabbing a club on the way, I can defend myself, no?

If a man is burglarizing my home, does he deserve the benefit of the doubt? Not a fucking chance. He is the one invading my home, my castle, breaking our laws, and yes, he may only be after my dvd player, but he may be after my gun and/or my life. How would I know? Should I ask him and trust his answer? Or should I stop him and hope I don't have to hurt him?

Human life is worth protecting, defending, and valuing,even violent predators. However, I don't value their life at the risk of my own. I value my family and then my own far above theirs.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm not trying to dictate anything. Offer no ways or means? Ok how about if you want a gun, you have to have it registered, along with your details, have compulsary cooling off periods, detailed background checks, training for the type of gun you are buying and some kind of "responsibility" training, to be laid down in law (i.e. if this gun is mislaid and falls into the wrong hands, we will be coming after you).

1) Registration leads to confiscation. Period. There are no two ways about this. If you want to claim that we gun owners are yelling about a boogeyman with regard to this equation, we have only to point to NEW YORK CITY, WASHINGTON D.C., CALIFORNIA, ENGLAND, AUSTRALIA, and NAZI GERMANY. Those are real-world examples of exactly what we are concerned about: GUNS WERE FIRST REGISTERED, and then the knowledge that the police had regarding who had what guns and where was used TO GUIDE THE POLICE IN THE CONFISCATION OF THOSE GUNS. How can you argue that we are making a big deal out of a phantom fear when it's a fear that has become reality already, even in parts of the United States?!

2) "Cooling off periods" are generally unnecessary. Many of the "heat of the moment" killings take place at a time of day when gun stores are not even open, so it's not like people are rushing out, buying a gun, and then going and killing someone. I think this concept is largely a myth. And there should definitely be no "cooling off" delay if a person is buying his second, third, or thousandth gun. If he already has guns available to him, if he wanted to murder someone, he'd just use those.

3) If a person mislays his gun or allows it to fall into the hands of a child in the household, there are penalties in place in many jurisdictions that will apply. But if a person's gun is STOLEN in a criminal theft, I hardly think that he should be held legally or criminally responsible for crimes that are then committed with it. Your car could be stolen and then used to run someone down. Should you then be held accountable as though you were the murderous driver? What about your kitchen knives? Your chainsaw? Your can of gasoline?

I would say the problem in the US is far from "not broken" at least in major metropolitan cities.

Are you referring to those major metropolitan cities like NYC, D.C., and Chicago, where despite the most stringent gun control there is -- BANS -- they still lead in gun murder rates on a consistent basis? Seems to me that you provided the biggest argument yet for the abandonment of the very policies you are advocating: they're abysmal failures.

Blue skies,
-

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/dclm/ldinfo.html

How is this document stating you cannot own a gun in NYC? And i quote:

"It has come to the attention of the License Division that certain consulting firms have advised licensees that renewals are no longer automatic and that the License Division has refused to renew hundreds of licensees. This is untrue. License renewals continue to be routinely processed and approved in the overwhelming majority of cases."

Violent crime in NYC is down to it's lowest levels in years. This is according to the FBI as of last year...

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=1091

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/dclm/ldinfo.html

How is this document stating you cannot own a gun in NYC? And i quote:

"It has come to the attention of the License Division that certain consulting firms have advised licensees that renewals are no longer automatic and that the License Division has refused to renew hundreds of licensees. This is untrue. License renewals continue to be routinely processed and approved in the overwhelming majority of cases."

Yes, RENEWALS. What part of "renewals" is hard to understand?

Renewals for people who have the nearly-impossible-to-get permit in the first place. In the seventies, they went around and asked everyone who had guns legally to register them.

They swore they would never use the lists for anything but keeping track. In fact, in the face of concern that they would use the lists for confiscating guns at some point, they promised that would not be done.

And several years later, when NYC crime was in its 1970s heyday, THEY DID EXACTLY THAT. They used the very registration lists of who had what guns and now came around and said, "We know you have these guns, because you told us you did. Now the law says you may not have them, and we're here to confiscate them. If you don't give up the guns, you're going to jail."

Then once the legal guns were rounded up, a person had to get a permit to have them. Guess what? The police grant the permits at their discretion. And that ends up meaning they hardly give out any at all -- and when they do it's to major political contributors, rich people, and celebrities.

So you can quote me the NYPigD website all you want, but the fact remains that their so-called permit system is exclusionary. It doesn't surprise me in the least that they claim to renew "the overwhelming majority" of permits -- they're just renewing the connected people who are the few who got permits once the draconian laws were enacted in the first place!

Next.

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Oh, and fees of $255 and $99 in order to get the application processed.

$354 to find out that they don't think, "I want to be able to defend myself from criminal attack" is a worthy reason to grant you the privilege of being able to purchase and own firearms.

Fuckin' NYC pigs.

But if you want to go on believing that any old honest citizen can get a permit to have a handgun in New York City, go right ahead. Like I give a shit if you live your life believing a lie.

-
-Jeffrey

I said GUNS were designed to kill - which they were, I never at any time said that gun-owners are, or tend to be killers.

First of all, not all guns are designed "to kill." Many of them are specialized strictly for target shooting. But even those that are "designed to kill", such killing is to be done for lawful purposes only, such as in hunting, and for self-defense. Thus, there is nothing evil about this purpose, as you try so hard to impute.

I did say that "If there were no handguns, then no one could be killed by a handgun"... Then you ask that I surrender my guns as if that would accomplish my goals. I already know that this will not help the situation, as do you.

Ah, I think I understand now. You want *other* people to surrender their firearms, but you want to keep all of yours. How quaint.

if the governemnt tomorrow decided that we will ban all guns, in the interest of saving innocent lives from harm, we will stop the manufacture of all guns in hopes that in 20 years or so they are all out of society, then I would actually be willing to surrender my guns, as I would have no use for them anymore.[/repy]

First of all, no nation has ever been successful in banning anything like that. How long have addictive drugs been banned in America, along with the corresponding "war on drugs"? Decades. Has that made illegal drugs less available on the street? No. Even in the Nazi-controlled Warsaw ghetto in WWII, they couldn't keep the Jews from smuggling a few guns. And that had to be one of the most highly controlled environments in history. Your dream is a fairy tale - it won't happen.

And once again, if you want people to respect your views, you should take the moral high ground, and start the program you believe in, by turning in your *own* guns. Instead of expecting everyone else to go first.

And i have not advocated diarming anyone - I did advocate more training and more restrictions in the hopes of reducing the number of guns out there, which i still and always have believed will reduce the number of unwanted gun accidents and murders.

Um, excuse me, but banning the manufacture of guns would certainly keep honest people from becoming armed. More restrictions would disarm some people who already have guns. You're contradicting your own words...

You are free to choose your own options when faced with those crimes. However, the law in many states allows deadly force for those crimes, because you can't count on them only being "simple". No one can predict what a burglar's intentions are when he breaks into your house. You don't know if he wants just a VCR, or your life. You can put *your* life in the hands of a criminal if you want, but you have no right to demand that everyone else also do so.

The 'law' allowed us to lynch niggers in the 20's - it is not always right.

Then you should be advocating a change in the law, instead of trying to ban handgun ownership. And I don't think you would have a prayer of getting a law passed that would make it illegal for a citizen to shoot an intruder in their own home.

The extreme nature of your view is highlighted by this comparison of legitimate self-defense to illegal racial lynchings.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you think those pesky Bill of Rights Amendments are just trivial "afterthoughts"...

I never said any such things.

Your statement is right there in message #107: "The gun trhing was an amendment, an afterthought."

You seem to have forgotten your own statements in this thread. Please try to keep up.

If that gun is sitting in that nightstand for 10 years, then y'know what? It is not needed.

Bzzzt. Wrong. It's on standby, to provide necessary self-defense, just in case. It doesn't matter how long it sits unused. It only has to be useful once, to save someone's life from criminal attack. Then it becomes the most valuable tool in the whole world. Frequency of use, means nothing about importance. I once went a stretch of 10 years without having to use my reserve parachute - does that mean that I should have saved myself the weight and removed it from my parachute rig?

In the hands of the untrained housewife or joe-blow at the office - it is more a menace than a self-defense weapon.

Simply not true. There are several million self-defense uses of guns every year, by the very people you here accuse of being incompetent. The record speaks for itself, in favor of guns.

Armed Defense Stories

what about these? Son Charged In Accidental Shooting, etc....

So, because some people are careless with guns, therefore nobody deserves to own them? Gosh, what a model for freedom that is!

Maybe since some people hurt themselves with hook turns, therefore nobody should be allowed to skydive. How's that idea sit with you?

Gun accidents are tragic. No doubt about it. But taking guns away from everyone, because of the misuse by a few, is contrary to freedom, and the wrong approach to take.

I haven't heard you comment yet on my suggestion to you about making gun safety training mandatory in the public school system. What say you? Wouldn't that achieve the goal you desire - everyone having the knowledge to be safe with guns?

Yes, accidents happen. Anecdotes are great to tug on emotional strings but they are misleading. How many millions of guns are there? How many MORE people are killed by everyday house hold objects?

Why is an accidental death by a gun more emotional and upsetting than accidental deaths by numerous other causes? Seriously. If you substitute any other object for gun in those articles, ANY other object, would you suddenly be in an uproar about the need to control and restrict it? Or is the image of GUN that makes it so horrifying?

Good point.

In the U.S., the principal types of accidental deaths in 1994 were:

Motor vehicles ........... 43,000
Falls .................... 13,300
Poison ................... 8,000
Fire ..................... 4,200
Drowning ................. 4,000
Choking .................. 3,000
Guns ..................... 1,500
Suffocation (gases) ...... 700
All other * .............. 14,500
------
Total: 92,200

* "All other" includes medical complications, machinery, air
and water transport accidents, and freezing.

(National Safety Council, "Accident Facts"

Guns were responsible for just 1.6% of all accidental deaths.

If we should ban guns to prevent 1,500 accidental deaths, then we
should also ban cars, buildings and ladders over five feet tall,
poisonous substances, matches and flammable liquids, pools and bath tubs, and lastly, gluttony. That would save 75,000 lives per year!

JohnRich writes

I haven't heard you comment yet on my suggestion to you about making gun safety training mandatory in the public school system. What say you? Wouldn't that achieve the goal you desire - everyone having the knowledge to be safe with guns?

Tho it might be hard to convince the publice to have special courses in gun safety plus gun use, I don't think it would be too difficult to include some gun-safety education as part of health education or whatever. I think this could be done in a way that is acceptable to both pro-gun and antigun parents. What to do if you find an unsecured gun: basic things like checking the chamber, working the safety, pointing out that you should never point the gun at anyone, unless you are preparing to possibly kill them in self-defense. Pointing out that bullets go thru walls and people in the next room or even the house next door can be in the line of fire. We have sex education of this sort. We teach small children how to cross the street safely -- motor-vehicle encounter safety. Moter vehicles are ubiquitous; in recognition of this fact, such training has long been done. Same thing with basic fire safety. We teach children how to make sure that matches totally out, before putting them in a waste basket. Gun-encounter safety could be similar.

There is a gun problem, and we simply disagree on the remedy. The solution you are advocating has been proven time and again to fail.

It has not been proven 'time and time again' to fail here in the USA, it has not even been tried. So I disagree with your stance that it has alreayd been proven not to work.

It has been proven not to work in other countries. Why do you so easily dismiss those examples? You're wearing blinders.

And even here in the good ol' USA, it's been tried. Look at Washington, D.C., where handgun ownership is banned outright. To own long guns, you have to have a permit, and register the guns. D.C. has everything you want. According to your theory, D.C. should be a utopian crime-free haven. Yet, every year, it is one of the cities with the highest murder rate in the nation.

Gun bans are a failure.

Washington, D.C. Gun Laws

Most Dangerous Cities

I was more thinking along the lines of satisfying the kids' curiosity -- take them on a field trip -- let them handle guns under supervision. Let them see and hear guns being fired, and the effect that bullets have on watermelons and canteloupes. That should impress them about why they should be careful -- bring some reality to the situation rather than bore them with abstractions.

product safety recalls, banning the use of various products, new regs, lawsuits over product liability - but not for guns - God forbid - they are our RIGHT!

Bzzt. Wrong again. I see a trend developing here. Gun and ammo manufacturers conduct product safety recalls when there is a problem. There are 20,000 laws on the books regarding the manufacture, sale, and usage of guns. Gun makers get sued all the time by people who have been injured or killed by their products. There are also industry standards for manufacture. They are subject to all these market forces, just like any other product manufacturer. I don't know how you could have missed all this stuff, unless you just plain aren't looking...

If you need to defend yourself - how about arming everyone with tasers?

Tasers are less effective. They're a one-shot weapon, and if you miss, you're screwed. Even a 100-year-old revolver gives you six shots to save your life. And tasers often are ineffective against some criminals, such as those who are high on dope. A .45 handgun will stop anyone.