panzwami

too much coverage for President Reagan?

This morning, there was a reporter interviewing people in line for the viewing. She asked a Boy Scout if he was excited to be there. Excited? He's at a funeral, not a new Disney World ride!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think its just fine.

He was a good man, and a good President.

Thats part of the problem today...People don't respect traditions.

This is the first State funeral for a President in 30 years.

even if it was Clinton I would understand the press coverage;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yeah . . . it's too much. Even Kerry and GWB sort of admit it by backing off their campaigning. Yeah, some of that is out of real respect, but it's also so they don't waste money on events which will get no coverage.

If the news is actually covering something that's happening, then that's fine. However, there have been times in this last week where it's pretty much wall-to-wall coverage and that's just excessive.

For instance, yesterday I had, as usual, CNN on in the background. They covered the huge crowds in California and the transfer of the body to the plane at Point Magu -- appropriate. They covered the funeral procession and Rotunda ceremonies -- appropriate.

They ALSO stayed on with Reagan coverage for the entire duration of the flight in between locations -- excessive. That was about 5ish hours of basically nothing so they filled with ad naseum rehashing.

There are other important stories that are falling through the cracks.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I admire former President Reagan immensely; however, I do think the news coverage is excessive. I think the media is again trying to draw sensationalism from any situation. My Grandmother also died ultimately from Alzheimer’s disease. She actually left us completely at least a year before her body actually died. The media have been trying to express the extreme sorrow and distress of Nancy and the family. I'm sure they miss him, however, I'm also sure that they are more so relieved that he's not in that condition anymore and that he's gone on to a better place. I think an appropriate farewell could have been accomplished in just a couple of days. This is getting ridiculous.

I agree that there is too much coverage. Frankly, Reagan was, in my opinion, the greatest President of the 20th century. I once shook his wrist, and was present at the "Win one for the Gipper" speech in 1988 in Century City.

Still, sometimes it is a little too much. When he died last weekend, the news said, "We will keep you apprised of any new developments."

"New develoments?" Unless he is resurrected, there isn't anything new to talk about. Listening to some right wing radio was also interesting. They railed on Rather and Brokaw and Jennings for their comments about it being too much, showing a media bias. But, "the media" is wall to wall with this.

He should be honored. The state funeral is great. I have all the respect in the world for this man that nobody's heard from in 10 years.

But Bourque, Coffey and Larry Murphy were elected to the hockey Hall of Fame. Cheers for them.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think its just fine.

He was a good man, and a good President.

Thats part of the problem today...People don't respect traditions.

This is the first State funeral for a President in 30 years.

even if it was Clinton I would understand the press coverage;)

Yeah, but there'd be more BOOBIES!!!

:D

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"