mikkey

Pentagon email reveals Cheney, Halliburton link

As with many aspects of this conflict, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Exactly, the problem is that it makes no sense. It is true that that amount is not much, but i thought that it was that payment a year. Somebody correct me if i am wrong. If it is so, then we are looking at a more decent amount, and it would look a bit more legal since it wouldn´ñt be hidden. If someone finds out, let´s call it deferred payment.
Regarding the stock options... Usually a bussiness will put heavy constraints about when you can sell your stock options so the price in the market will not fluctuate too much. so i guess it is a possibility that they let them sell ALL his stock options before taking part in politics, but somehow i doubt it. If he didn´t sell it, he would have had to give them away. Let´s say that the stock option is worth 20$ (i think it is beetwen 23 and 54) then he would have given away 480000 X 20 = 9600000 $.
If so, he is not corrupt, he is a fool.
Maybe there is a much simpler explanation to that but if so, why isn´t it common knowledge?
As you said, it doesn´t make sense.

>If there is any genuine conflict of interest of any real significance, >this would surely have been formally and openly investigated by >now, would it not?

Unless the person in question had enough clout to avoid or delay investigation. A while back a member of the administration revealed the identity of an undercover CIA agent; surely such an act of treason was swiftly investigated and the perpetrator brought to justice in the interests of national security, right? Nope, the investigation is still ongoing, with no end in sight.

>Somebody mentioned that Cheney got about 100,000 ($178,000)
> quid for his involvement in this epsiode, in terms of corruption, that
> really is a chicken-shit amount when you compare with the size of
> the prize.

Agreed. The amounts he's been receiving (around $200K a year) is just the amount he declared on his taxes.

No, that is NOT an answer. I ask basic questions concerning defense acquisition for pedagogical purposes and never get an answer.

ATTENTION LEFT WINGERS: prior to attempting to discuss defense acquisition with me, educate yourselves.

I present the following link as a starting point for your education:

http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/

Questions you should be able to answer off the top of your head prior to resuming discussion with me are:

- role of VP in the acquisition process
- role of USD (AT&L)? Who is he/she? Who appointed? For how long? Responsibilities/authority?
- J & A - what's allowable
- RFP's - how they are released
- FEDBIZOPS - what is it?
- Proposal evaluation factors - describe.
- ACO/PCO/TCO/CAO - what are they? Their roles?

Hmmm....that should do it for now. When you can do the above, come back with me and we'll discuss it.

Professor Anvil, out.
:)Oh - i forgot. I AM A JACKASS!!!!!!
:)

Anvil, how do you get your head to fit through a door?

Cheney deferred all stock options, financial incentives etc when he began campaigning on the 2000 election.

Does it mean that he gave away or donate ALL of his Stock options before taking office?

There was a joke going around during 9/11 that Cheney was in the bunker to hide from Haliburton stock holders, not the enemy.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Does it mean that he gave away or donate ALL of his Stock options before taking office?

No, it means he can't exercise his options until after he's out of office. Which means, the more the stock goes up in that time, the better off he is. He has options to buy stock at a fixed price no matter what the stock is worth at the time. The higher it is, the more profit he makes. But I'm sure he's not looking at that aspect of his potential windfall after leaving office. :|

You dodge yet again. Figure out what you're talking about and get back to me.

I dodged what? You're homework assignment? I dodged nothing, you asked a question, I gave an answer, you don't like the answer so you accuse me of dodging.

Tell you what, I won't bother getting back to you. It's pretty clear that out of everyone that posts in this forum, you are the least likely to ever see any other view point other than the one you get from right wing pundits. There's no reason to discuss it with you.

Well, the last time I went through a political door opened by a left-winger, I attempted to induce cranial-rectal inversion in order to try and see things from their point of view. I was unable to achieve this feat so common among leftists, but did kindly offer to assemble a team of doctors to try and help the poor chap. Not often a proctologist, neurosurgeon, and chiropracter get to work together - too bad the leftie declined my offer.
:D:D:D:D:D
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Well, the last time I went through a political door opened by a left-winger, I attempted to induce cranial-rectal inversion in order to try and see things from their point of view. I was unable to achieve this feat so common among leftists, but did kindly offer to assemble a team of doctors to try and help the poor chap. Not often a proctologist, neurosurgeon, and chiropracter get to work together - too bad the leftie declined my offer.
:D:D:D:D:D

Too bad you don't have the guts to come out and claim to be a republican. Would earn more respect and maybe some people wouldn't be so turned off by the stupendous amount of arrogance you portray.

Ohh right, I forgot you once said something bad about holey, infallible dictator, oops I mean President Bush.

Why does everyone think I'm a Republican all the time? I am a very hypocritical libertarian who tends to vote for Republicans in national elections because I find the alternative so unpalatable. Guts indeed. Truth be told I'm lean left-of-center at the local level and am quite conservative at the national level.

I am for legalization of most drugs, hold a hybrid opinion on abortion that enrages lefties and ticks of Republican traditionalists, support a flat tax IN CONJUNCTION WITH a national retail sales tax in lieu of the current progressive [sic] income tax, and support the rights of cities/states to ban smoking in anyplace they deem fit. I hold those among other views.

Here. I'll say a few bad things about GWB to appease some lefties:

- GWB's steel tariff stupidity hurt the country and was dumb

- GWB's proposed amnesty for illegals is moronic

- GWB's second tax cut structure was idiotic; corporate dividends were taxed again for a REASON and it was a good one

- GWB let Ted Kennedy write his education bill

- GWB hasn't vetoed a spending bill yet. WTFO?

- GWB didn't defend his nominees to the federal bench well at all

There's a few. Hope some lefties are happy. Then again, I don't let other people being unhappy take away my smile. Most of the time anyway. Certainly not now.
:D:S:D:D
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Congratulations, you criticized Bush on the exact same topics that other republicans criticize him. For doing things that aren't part of the republican agenda.

Why does everyone think I'm a Republican all the time? I am a very hypocritical libertarian who tends to vote for Republicans in national elections because I find the alternative so unpalatable. Guts indeed. Truth be told I'm lean left-of-center at the local level and am quite conservative at the national level.

The reason everyone thinks you're a republican is because you spout off republican pundit rhetoric constantly, you defend almost all republicans consistently and bash almost all democrats consistently. And most of your views and opinions reflect those of the republican party. There aren't many people who cater to the exact party line of either side, so of course you differ in some views. But you're the closest to towing the line I've seen on these boards.

I am for legalization of most drugs, hold a hybrid opinion on abortion that enrages lefties and ticks of Republican traditionalists, support a flat tax IN CONJUNCTION WITH a national retail sales tax in lieu of the current progressive [sic] income tax, and support the rights of cities/states to ban smoking in anyplace they deem fit. I hold those among other views.

Here. I'll say a few bad things about GWB to appease some lefties:

- GWB's steel tariff stupidity hurt the country and was dumb

- GWB's proposed amnesty for illegals is moronic

- GWB's second tax cut structure was idiotic; corporate dividends were taxed again for a REASON and it was a good one

- GWB let Ted Kennedy write his education bill

- GWB hasn't vetoed a spending bill yet. WTFO?

- GWB didn't defend his nominees to the federal bench well at all

There's a few. Hope some lefties are happy. Then again, I don't let other people being unhappy take away my smile. Most of the time anyway. Certainly not now.
:D:S:D:D

You throw this in every once in a while, the rest of the stuff you are usually so arrogantly spewing, leads almost everybody to believe you are a Republican who doesn't have the guts to own up to it and claims to be a libertarian.

Since I am not the first to say this, it might be in the way you behave on his forum.

"Unless the person in question had enough clout to avoid or delay investigation."
To me, that in itself is much worse than 'influencing' the contract award process. There's nothing worse than a government you can't trust.:);)
So, with all this hoo-hah, will there be an investigation, and has anyone on the hill asked for one? I find it hard to believe that if there were any substance to this claim, then somebody in opposition would not want to score big off it.
Last I heard, the gas price scandal was all hot air, investigated, and found to be all above board and squeaky clean. This was pretty well publicised in various journals and Halliburton even made TV ads announcing this. Are we talking about additional criticism here?
Thanks for any clarification in advance.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

It is so nice to be loved by all. I guess it's because I'm such a sexy biatch. I mean it's tough to be so sexy people care about what party with which you identify more than the views you espouse. Then again, I'm short with blond hair. The world is prejudiced against me. F-ing NBA. I HATE the NBA! I HATE THEM! I HATE THEM SO! NOT LETTING ME PLAY!!! KEEPING THE SHORT MAN DOWN! THEIR AGENTS ARE INFILTRATING SPEAKER'S CORNER EVEN! ALWAYS! EVERYWHERE! SCREW SHORTY! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!

Oh goodness me. This thread has turned into yet another 'I hate TheAnvil' thread. Dammit. Mikkey's a really smart leftie from outside the US too. Sorry dude. I hate TheAnvil too. He's a JACKASS.
:S
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

It's so hard for me to contain my hatred of the NBA. They have given me post-traumatic-not-making-the-basketball-team-disorder. I should have made the team! I'm good! Mommy told me so!
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!