WrongWay

Draft

I got this in an email this morning. Hope it hasn't been posted. I haven't checked out the links yet.

There is pending legislation in Congress to reinstate the
draft as of June 15, 2005. If you don't think you care,
keep reading... you might change your mind.

1) Ladies, this means you, too. The new law does NOT
exclude women from begin drafted.

2) College students, same thing again, you are no longer
immune.

3) Even if you are NOT selected for the draft, all people
between the ages of 18 and 25 will be required to
perform "in a civilian capacity that, as determined by the
president, promotes the national defense, including national
or community service and homeland security" for a period of
not less than 2 years.

4) This law includes not only citizens, but all RESIDENTS of
the United States, meaning that some people who can't even
vote are still required to perform.

5) Once passed, this law puts at the sole discression of the
PRESIDENT the decision to draft, the number of people to be
drafted, the manner in which to select those people, and the
power to extend the required enlistment beyond the initial 2
years.

For anyone who wants proof of all of this, check out the
article at:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?
alertid=5834001&content_dir=ua_congressorg

or even better, read the bill itself at:

http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?URL=http%3A%2F%
2Ffrwebgate%2Eaccess%2Egpo%2Egov%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fgetdoc%2Ecgi%
3Fdbname%3D108%5Fcong%5Fbills%26docid%3Df%3As89is%2Etxt%2Epdf

If you haven't heard about this before, you might ask
yourself why... it seems like something so obviously
controversial would be all over the press, and if not, then
it's obviously been kept VERY quiet. also note that the
reinstatement would conveniently occur AFTER this years
election, so as not to commit political suicide.

I say we need to vote Bush (and his syncophant republican
congress) out of office NOW. If you agree, please forward
this on. If not, fine... but remember that when your 18
year-old brother/daughter/best friend dies for it.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I've seen this before and the links worked then, but they don't appear to work today... I think that this is where it was trying to point to.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/bills/?billnum=S.89&congress=108

Congressional Legislation

'A bill to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.'
Bill # S.89

Original Sponsor:
Ernest Hollings (D-SC)

Cosponsor Total: 1
(last sponsor added )
1 Democrats
About This Legislation:

1/7/2003--Introduced.
Universal National Service Act of 2003 - Declares that it is the obligation of every U.S. citizen, and every other person residing in the United States, between the ages of 18 and 26 to perform a two-year period of national service, unless exempted, either as a member of an active or reserve component of the armed forces or in a civilian capacity that promotes national defense. Requires induction into national service by the President. Sets forth provisions governing: (1) induction deferments, postponements, and exemptions, including exemption of a conscientious objector from military service that includes combatant training; and (2) discharge following national service.
Amends the Military Selective Service Act to authorize the military registration of females.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/bills/?billnum=H.R.163&congress=108

'To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.'
Bill # H.R.163

Original Sponsor:
Charles Rangel (D-NY 15th)

Cosponsor Total: 15
(last sponsor added 05/19/2004)
15 Democrats
About This Legislation:

1/7/2003--Introduced.
Universal National Service Act of 2003...

Folks,

The rumor mill is going to go crazy on this issue, but the draft is not likely to happen.

From Post Gazzette: Article

From the Selective Service: web page

So, keep your ears open to news, not e-gossip. Oh, wait, the news is pretty gossipy, too. Well, use your head then.

Rock on Milwaukee,

topher

"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I saw it too, but I figured "Hey, why not post it just in case?".

BTW, whats up with 42.5 jumps bro?

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I say we need to vote Bush (and his syncophant republican
congress) out of office NOW.

'A bill to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.'
Bill # S.89

Original Sponsor:
Ernest Hollings (D-SC) The little D = Democrat

Cosponsor Total: 1
(last sponsor added )
1 Democrats
About This Legislation

'To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.'
Bill # H.R.163

Original Sponsor:
Charles Rangel (D-NY 15th)

Cosponsor Total: 15
(last sponsor added 05/19/2004)
15 Democrats

Uh both of these are DEMOCRATIC pushes.

And BTW Kerry wants them as well.

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/johnkerry_service_fact_sheet.pdf 1. 200,000 Americans serving full-time for two years and getting four years of college aid
in return. These Americans will serve in some of America’s toughest jobs, including:
• 75,000 young people helping educate children in troubled schools;
• 25,000 young people improving our homeland security;
• Some 100,000 young people serving in other critical areas, from building
affordable housing, to helping seniors live independently, to keeping our water
and parks more clean.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'll be the greedy one in this bunch. . .How much is all this going to cost? There is a lot of 18 to 24's out there. If they are to receive the same benefits as the regular service members, G.I. Bill, medical, dental, ect. ect., That is an astounding amount of cash. In a couple of years the Baby Boomers would be retiring and we all know no single politician is going to allow social security to go bankrupt. That's political suicide. Or are the conscrips going to get paid? I think this would be one of the biggest reasons this would be shot down.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

That's not a reply to me is it? I didn't write this, just posted the links and such.

Sorry, I thought it was you little rant at the end.

Then they guy who wrote it...Well, he showed his ass.

Before a guy writes some anti Bush thing...One would think he checked who wrote the legislation he claims is anti Republican.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This is so clueless, it's pathetic.

Other attempts to revive the draft over the years have been tried, but the bills have been killed.

The only difference this time is that more people are paying attention because of 9/11 and the war.

This bill will die a slow, painful death in Committee like all the others have, and deservedly so.

CongressCritters often introduce hopeless, pointless bills during Election Season as a form of political grandstanding, so that later, during their campaign (as if the permanent government really needs it, but I digress), they can beat their chest in their TV ads.

The ads, in addition to ad-hominem attacks on their opponents, will have a Hollywood voice-over that says, "...and he introduced legislation to do this or that", or "...and he voted for this or that".

In other words, it doesn't mean squat.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

>How much is all this going to cost?

A tremendous amount. But then again, getting enough people into the military during wartime is going to cost a tremendous amount no matter what. You can get them to enter voluntarily, which means upping pay, signing bonuses, educational benefits etc until you get enough people. Or you can do it involuntarily. But "let's make do with fewer people" is no longer an option.

This war is going to cost around $1500 per person when all's said and done. (assuming end-to-end estimates of around 300 billion.) It's going to cost a lot. The time to consider whether or not we wanted to spend that much was last March.

CongressCritters often introduce hopeless, pointless bills during Election Season as a form of political grandstanding, so that later, during their campaign (as if the permanent government really needs it, but I digress), they can beat their chest in their TV ads.

Somewhat analogous to post-whoring. And politicians have been doing this long before internet message boards came along. ;)

Additionally, w/ regards to the link above (somewhere) to Kerry's plans for service--a la AmeriCorps--it seems the discussion is getting muddled. Maybe I missed something, but it would seem that any discussion of reinstituting the draft is separate from plans for rewarding service in AmeriCorps or a similar program of 'national service. Certainly, 'drafting' individuals for the military, only to send them off to assist in educational means in troubled school districts is not the purpose of such a program.
-C.

This war is going to cost around $1500 per person when all's said and done. (assuming end-to-end estimates of around 300 billion.) It's going to cost a lot. The time to consider whether or not we wanted to spend that much was last March.

oops, gotta get in tuned better with this. I origionally thought the draft/conscription was a permanent thing being pushed for both war and peace times. A kind of permanent fix

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

>How much is all this going to cost?

This war is going to cost around $1500 per person when all's said and done. (assuming end-to-end estimates of around 300 billion.)

Good job he cut taxes and lowered revenues, then.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>This war is going to cost around $1500 per .

Taxes don't work that way. Some will pay a lot, some won't pay anything.

(I know what you meant, but more people on this website will be in the pay nothing than the pay alot crowd. From I can tell..... Lame discussions about lost opportunity to spend the "pay alot" crowd's money on other more 'worthy' things can proceed now. Since it's not their money anyway.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants