bodypilot90

who is the war criminal

ok using this example, you be the judge.

In a line unit on patrol a tank commander opens fire with a 50 cal machine gun on a unarmed group of 30 villagers.

Are the people up the chain of command, say 4 or 5 levels as guilty of the war crime as the tank commander.

How the fuck could anyone who did not pull the trigger AND did not give orders to pull the trigger be guilty of the crime?

It's the same anywhere: supervisors of others cannot be in full control of their subordinates' every action. They can be responsible only for how they handle dealing with those actions after the fact. I have always disagreed with the principle of supervisors biting the bullet when a subordinate does something that is not official policy, could not be foreseen, and could not be prevented. This asks (demands) that the supervisor be omniscient and omnipresent. It's impossible.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

How the fuck could anyone who did not pull the trigger AND did not give orders to pull the trigger be guilty of the crime?

If they gave the order.

quade, go back and reread your post. :P
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

My point is that jeffery's responce appears to assume that in the scenario the superior had no knowledge of nor gave the order.

The information given in the poll question doesn't state either way.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My point is that jeffery's responce appears to assume that in the scenario the superior had no knowledge of nor gave the order.

The information given in the poll question doesn't state either way.

I took the poll question to mean that orders from the superiors were not involved, and I stipulated in my response that if they did not give such orders then I thought they were not to blame..

I don't think the question was as ambiguous as you say (regarding whether orders were given).

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I have always disagreed with the principle of supervisors biting the bullet when a subordinate does something that is not official policy, could not be foreseen, and could not be prevented. This asks (demands) that the supervisor be omniscient and omnipresent. It's impossible.

The job of a supervisor is to supervise.
If a subordinate gets out of hand he/she has not done their job.

The supervisor need not be omniscient or omnipresent. It is impossible but the supervisor need to be respected. If you have a well trained, well supervised and dedicated team shit rarely, if ever happens. It is up to the supervisor to ensure this is the case. A crappy, ill disciplined, unmotivated team is the fault of the supervisor and the blame lies there.

tank commander acted on his own with out orders to fire.

But was it unofficial policy to open fire on civilians?
Had this kind of thing happened before and what had the superiors done in that case?

Or was this a case of a lone soldier within an otherwise civilised army?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I have always disagreed with the principle of supervisors biting the bullet when a subordinate does something that is not official policy, could not be foreseen, and could not be prevented. This asks (demands) that the supervisor be omniscient and omnipresent. It's impossible.

The job of a supervisor is to supervise.
If a subordinate gets out of hand he/she has not done their job.

The supervisor need not be omniscient or omnipresent. It is impossible but the supervisor need to be respected. If you have a well trained, well supervised and dedicated team shit rarely, if ever happens. It is up to the supervisor to ensure this is the case. A crappy, ill disciplined, unmotivated team is the fault of the supervisor and the blame lies there.

Given the little information supplied, we do not know anything about the (hypothetical) training or lack thereof that this (hypothetical) tank commander and crew received. For all we know the tank commander in this scenario is a much decorated veteran who simply 'did not know' that what he was doing was wrong.:S

simply 'did not know' that what he was doing was wrong.

If it was wrong then it was his superiors job to make sure he knew.
I am not saying that a superior can cover for everything but it does not absolve him of the responsibility.
Saying "I did not know they were doing that" when it is you job to know is a crappy excuse.
As a supervisor of any type. If you find youself in that situation you make sure that heads roll and then go take your medicine WITHOUT blaming your subordinates. That way, if you survive and if your boss has any brains you should. You will return to your team and have their respect.

If you did know and did nothing then there is no way out. Expect to be looking for other employment.:o

simply 'did not know' that what he was doing was wrong.

If it was wrong then it was his superiors job to make sure he knew.

I guess you missed the tongue-in-cheek (:S) reference to someone else being discussed at length on this forum because he claimed that 'he did not know' what he was doing was wrong.

B|

I just get annoyed when the people in charge fuck up and then blame the subordinate for following through.
I am not saying the subordinate is innocent but there is a chain of command for a reason. That reason is to ensure that when orders get issued those orders get followed.:|

The fact that in this case the breakdown in the chain of command was known and nothing other than opening an enquiry was done is beyond the pale.
So while people shuffle paper and interview and run for cover the abuse carries on.....niiiiice.:|

Obviously you're referencing John Kerry and what he admitted to in Vietnam. What you're not including in your scenario are the ROE issued during that time regarding free fire zones and classification of civilians as enemy combatants if they appeared to be aiding the Viet Cong.

So, to answer your poll. Is it wrong to gun down villagers with a a 50 cal? Absolutely, and anyone should know that.

Is it wrong to gun down enemy combatants? Absolutely not.

Is it wrong to classify villagers as enemy combatants and have free fire zones based on suspicion? According to Geneva Convention, yes. But not according to his superiors or peers. And he wasn't aware that classification was wrong until afterward.

There's a big difference between a soldier gunning down civilians and a soldier gunning down what he has determined to be enemy combatants based on the illegal orders of his superiors. No, he's not blameless, but there's a big difference. And when he got home, he tried to stop it from happening any more.

> In a line unit on patrol a tank commander opens fire with a 50 cal machine gun on a unarmed group of 30 villagers.

As Clint Estwood (A man's man) would say, "they should have armed themselves."

Therefore the 30 villagers are criminally negligent for thinking they could take on a guy armed with a .50 cal machine gun.

ok using this example, you be the judge.

In a line unit on patrol a tank commander opens fire with a 50 cal machine gun on a unarmed group of 30 villagers.

Are the people up the chain of command, say 4 or 5 levels as guilty of the war crime as the tank commander.

Did this actually happen? Otherwise, "what if a frog bumped his ass a-hoppin?" Who cares?