stuffit

Are these people for real?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040426/ap_on_sc/noah_s_ark

I dont want to offend too many religous people, but these people are fucking crazy.

I'll reserve my judgement until after they've completed their expedition, cause I want to know what the "structure" is. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

But when some guy goes up there saying that he is going to prove all the "non-believers" wrong by finding Noah's ark, I am going to call him a dumbass.

And 99.99% of the time you'll be right, but how will you feel when someone does find Noah's ark, or some other piece of history that most had given up on?

Don't fault the guy for believing. After all, it's not hurting you, right?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I wouldnt mind checking it out either. But when some guy goes up there saying that he is going to prove all the "non-believers" wrong by finding Noah's ark, I am going to call him a dumbass.:)

If he's paying for it and thats his motivation, why should it bother you? I say go for it as long as I'm not asked to contribute money.
Makes as much sense to me as programs like SETI.

>But when some guy goes up there saying that he is going to prove
> all the "non-believers" wrong by finding Noah's ark, I am going to
> call him a dumbass.

I suspect we will eventually show there _was_ a Noah's Ark. There was a massive flood around that time, and just about every religion has a legend about a man who saved his family and some animals on a boat. Whether it was the 300-cubit long ark of legend or a raft is another story.

Quite true. It has long been believed that Noah's Ark, whatever it's origins truly are, is in Turkey. Apparently the area it is (was) believed to be in, or the mountain it is (was) believed to be on, was off limits during the Cold War as it was close to the Soviet Border. This is the first I've heard about it in over 10 years.

FallRate

He does have every right to do whatever he wants to do with his money but that does not mean that it doesnt bother me. It bothers me the same as when I seem some shithead on MTV that spent a million bucks on jewelry.

How do these two equate? One is a search for knowledge and the other is a flashy arrogant show of pride.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040426/ap_on_sc/noah_s_ark

I dont want to offend too many religous people, but these people are fucking crazy.

Either something is up there, or isn't. If there is, it could be a famed boat from the bible, or just some really old boat/object. Either way it's a win for everyone.

A good portion of exploration is funded by and done by 'crackpots.' Where would we be without them?

Noah, you're gonna have to take one of them hippos out and bring in a new one, ya got two males. You need a male and a female.

Uh Uh!! You're God, you change one of them. C'mon, Noah, you know I don't work like that.

Yeah well, I'm getting real tired of this. My neighbors think I'm crazy, my wife's complaining about my using the front yard to build this boat and have you seen the mess at the bottom of that boat?!?!? Who's gonna clean that mess up, me?!??!

Naw, I ain't doing it, I tell ya what I'm doing, I'm taking the wife and kids to Florida for vacation, that's what I'm going to do.

Just kidding Lord, you know me, always kiddin. Just you and me Lord, Right?

The article says Turkish Air Force pilots spotted a boat shaped object. Whether it's Noahs' Ark or not, why would it be unreasonable to check it out?

-------------------

I second that...

-S

I recall reading somewhere that the Med basin was dry about 10,000 years ago, until a land bridge between Spain, Gibraltar and Morocco gave way, flooding it.

Since the areas of the Near East are where civilization arose (and were obviously occupied since prehistoric times), it is unsurprising that legends of a "Great Flood" would be handed down as a kind of tribal history. I'm guessing it would take the form of a campfire tale; perhaps a song.

I don't know whether contemporary anthopologists have looked at this in detail (whether this seeming common legend has its roots in historical fact), but it makes sense.

Proving it in the absence of emperical knowledge is harder, tho. Perhaps it's because the disciplines of cultural anthropology and paleontology seldom cross paths.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

the odd part about it is that every major religion has a noah and the ark story, so it wouod just prove everyones theory.

I am a christian, for those who dont know me, but i would like to see what they come up with. casue if it is for real then it would be cool to have something tangable i could see. But it wont prove my faith, or make it stronger, it is already strong and growng
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

The article says Turkish Air Force pilots spotted a boat shaped object. Whether it's Noahs' Ark or not, why would it be unreasonable to check it out?

-------------------

I second that...

-S

Well, the only reason that I would consider it unreasonable to check it out, is that, if it is proven - there would have to be accountability. Would there not? And that SCARES THE HELL out of anyone that is athiest or agnostic.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nah, it would be just like say the Turin shroud, people either believe this stuff or they don't.

Me? I reckon its one of Carbone's errant rafts...B|;)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Well, the only reason that I would consider it unreasonable to check it out, is that, if it is proven - there would have to be accountability. Would there not? And that SCARES THE HELL out of anyone that is athiest or agnostic.

---------------------

That's their problem...IMO, that doesn't make it unreasonable.

-S

>I recall reading somewhere that the Med basin was dry about 10,000 years ago . . .

I think you may be thinking of the Bosporous Ridge giving way and creating the legend of the flood about 7000 years ago.

--------------
Two senior scientists from Columbia University have proposed a theory that a massive transfer of water occurred about 5600 BCE - over seven and a half millennia ago. They wrote: "Ten cubic miles of water poured through each day, two hundred times what flows over Niagara Falls." "The Bosporus flume roared and surged at full spate for at least three hundred days." 60,000 square miles of land were inundated. The Black Sea shoreline significantly expanded to the north and east. The lake's water level was raised many hundreds of feet. It changed from a fresh-water landlocked lake into a salt water lake connected to the world's oceans.

They have drawn on the findings of experts in agriculture, archaeology, genetics, geology, language, development of textiles and pottery, etc. They postulate that this deluge had catastrophic effects on the people living on the shore of the Black Sea. It triggered mass migrations across Europe and into the Near East, Middle East and Egypt. It may have been the source of many flood stories in the area. Some researchers believe that the story of Noah's flood in the Biblical book of Genesis is a myth that had its origin in this cataclysmic event.

. . .

About 300 cultures around the world have stories of a massive flood. In Judeo-Christian countries, the most famous is the story of Noah's Flood, as recorded in the Bible: Genesis, chapters 6 to 8.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_noah.htm

Ten cubic miles of water poured through each day, two hundred times what flows over Niagara Falls." "The Bosporus flume roared and surged at full spate for at least three hundred days." 60,000 square miles of land were inundated.

and then....

They postulate that this deluge had catastrophic effects on the people living on the shore of the Black Sea.

Way to go out on a limb with that... :S