freeflygoddess

Warning lables on french fries

We're talking about FOOD. And a minimum standard should exist that doesn't harm us.

Eggs are good. No, eggs are bad. No, eggs are good. No, eggs are bad. No, we really don't have any freaking idea.

Ahhh...you're right about what you are talking about.
And that is what nature offers us.

I'm talking about what we do to food.

Eggs are eggs. Corn is corn. Unless some scientist changes it's constitution for efficiency and profit and cuz 'really yellow' corn is more appealing than what corn looked like 100 years ago.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

>We're talking about FOOD. And a minimum standard should exist
>that doesn't harm us. And is not allowed to be ignored due to greed.

The organization responsible for doing exactly what you describe is the FDA.

Government organizations aren't necessarily the best source, especially with who runs the gov't these days.

The FDA barred its top expert from testifying at a conference convened to determine what guidance the FDA should give to the public about new studies linking anti-depressants to suicide in children. The expert concluded that children given anti-depressants were almost twice as likely as those given a placebo to become suicidal. [New York Times, 4/16/04]

In February, a senior scientist at the Department of Agriculture reported that the Department had been pressured by top officials in the Bush Administration to approve products for Americans to eat before their safety can be confirmed. In particular, the scientist said, approval to resume importing Canadian beef was given last August before a study confirming that it was safe. Canadian beef was banned after mad cow disease was found there in May.” [New York Times, 2/25/04]

>Government organizations aren't necessarily the best source,
>especially with who runs the gov't these days.

Oh, I agree. The final choice should always be made by the consumer. The FDA does a reasonably good job of enforcing food safety standards though, even with all its bureaucratic nonsense.

They'll do a better job when we're not totally relying on them to do their job.

When we educate ourselves and our children and demand and vote for healthier food choices with our wallets.

Which puts us right back to labels that educate that public and pressure food manufacturers to make a healthier product.

The french eat far worse foods than we do here in the US. The difference is that they don't gorge themselves on it. It's not what we eat, it's how much.

Eating bad things doesn't make you fat, eating too much of anything makes you fat.

I do agree though, some things are far too processed to taste sweet rather than be healthy.

I wouldnt say worse. They might eat richer foods, foods that are not so processed. We use a lot of High Frutcose Corn Syrup, HFC, which is far worse to your system than regular sugar. We cut out butter only to use trans-fat ladin margarin. But you hit it on the nose, moderation.

>Which puts us right back to labels that educate that public and
>pressure food manufacturers to make a healthier product.

I'm all for reasonable labels, although I don't think they would have the effect you seek. Even now a lot of information goes on those labels (calories from fat, sodium etc) and people still buy Pringle's and Mallomars by the ton.

Eggs are eggs. Corn is corn. Unless some scientist changes it's constitution for efficiency and profit and cuz 'really yellow' corn is more appealing than what corn looked like 100 years ago.

What do you think of those "Egg Beaters" eggs, modified by scientists to remove the cholesterol?

Or what about the corn that is modified to provide more vitamins and such?

Much of what we do to food, like fortifying it or adding iodine to salt, is done not for appearance but for added health.

Except fluoridated water. That's a communist plot.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Gotcha. I agree that things are far too processed, and are actually made more unhealthy because that's what people thinkn they want now.

But what about this 'golden rice' stuff. You know, the stuff that is supposed to be able to end hunger for everybody on Earth. What's your take on that?

Are you one of those "Frankenfood" people? (I love it when people use scary words to make their argument stronger, reminds me of the assault weapons ban):S
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Apples and broccoli are cheap. People prefer McDonald's. They eat it because of pure and total free will.

Yep, since I started eating better food my grocery bill has dropped ASTOUNDINGLY. . .

You both must be joking. Broccoli here lately has not been below $1.19 a head at my local grocery store, and typically they've been getting TWO FREAKIN' DOLLARS OR MORE for a meager, chintzy little wilty head of it. And forget about cauliflower. In fact, there was a time last year when my local Publix supermarket was selling broccoli for $3.99 a head and cauliflower for $4.99 a head -- I shit you not.

It's still almost that bad.

How about green, orange, yellow or red peppers? Lately Publix gets about $2.50 a pound for green and THREE FORTY-NINE a pound for the other colors! THAT'S INSANE!!!

I have to drive 20 minutes each way to get to the nearest produce stand that has decent prices -- and even there prices have risen a lot lately, and of course the quality of the produce is not as good as at the supermarket.

Don't tell me that healthy foods are affordable, much less cheap. I'll laugh in your face. It's a lie.
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Don't tell me that healthy foods are affordable, much less cheap. I'll laugh in your face. It's a lie.
-

I agree...and that is what is so disgusting...:S...That healthy fresh foods are expensive and hard to find (at least around here...except for corn...I literally have it coming out of my ears...yes, pun intended:ph34r:)...It is cheaper to get a "value meal" at McDonalds than to buy decent food from the grocery store...sad and true...B|[:/]

~R+R:o
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

like fortifying it or adding iodine to salt, is done not for appearance but for added health

What do you think of those "Egg Beaters" eggs, modified by scientists to remove the cholesterol?

Or what about the corn that is modified to provide more vitamins and such?

Gross. Gross. GROSS! YUCK!

If eggs have too much cholesterol, don't eat them! And since when does corn need MORE vitamins! Corn had plenty of vitamins before we had to add more to replace what was lost in modern farming 'techniques'.

Eggs, the perfect food. Meat, it's what's for dinner. High protein diets. Barf.

Do you know that sea salt needs no extra anything to be healthful and actually good for you? It's cheaper to process salt, lose the nutrients and then add shit back in to it!

I have to admit, I don't know what golden rice is. Or Frankenfood.

All I know is, the US produces enough (real) food in one year to feed the entire world over. Yet, what do we do? Feed it to livestock - that way we have enough meat to feed one-seventh of the world.

(Admittedly, another topic altogther.)

I'm for REAL, healthy food being promoted, demanded, and available (locally and financially) to me and my children as well as to you and yours.

Even now a lot of information goes on those labels (calories from fat, sodium etc) and people still buy Pringle's and Mallomars by the ton.

You're right. It takes time. How long did it take for an entire generation of people to become obese? And how many factors contributed to it?

It's not cut and dried. But it's something to strive for - in our own small way - everyday.

We're talking about the next generation. Our kids and their kids. We have to take what we know now, and do something. Anything. Don't we?

> We have to take what we know now, and do something. Anything.
> Don't we?

That sounds too much like "Do something! Anything! Even if it's wrong!"

Better labeling is a good idea. But at some point you have to accept that people may simply want Mallomars instead of organic broccoli, no matter what the label says. (After all, people still smoke.) And unless we unleash the Diet Police that means they're gonna get fat. That's their choice.

Junk food is fine every once in a while, but not everyday.

I've been eating junk food every day for the last 23 years. I'm 42, 5'11, 165lbs, and my colesterol is "average" for a 22 year old. I have lower than average blood pressure.

I skip breakfast, have a burger or chicken and fries for lunch and a Pizza for dinner most days. Recently, in the past 3 years, my GF has got me to eat salad, but it's more of a desert than part of my meal, and I've cut back my 15 gallons of Coke a month to about 10. I've always eaten some fruit a few times a week.

I don't supersize though, and when I feel I've had enough, I usually stop.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

> Don't we?

Better labeling is a good idea. But at some point you have to accept that people may simply want Mallomars instead of organic broccoli, no matter what the label says.

Come on now. :)

> Don't we?

Isn't that your approach to gun control? :P
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

But what about this 'golden rice' stuff. You know, the stuff that is supposed to be able to end hunger for everybody on Earth. What's your take on that?

Like genetically engineered foods? Man thats a whole other can of worms. Yeah it sounds exciting and a cure for world hunger, but what are the ramifications.

You may be right...

Although there have been times in my life that I've been obsessive about exercise (Like running a marathon) I have made a few simple deals with myself.

a. Take the stairs if I'm not carrying anything.
b. Park in the 1st spot I see

I've also tried to strike a balance between being "fit" and being "healthy."

In my 20's I was very fit. I was also sick quite often, and caught every little bug that was going around. These days I'm certainly not fit, and am seldom ill. I climb a little, skydive every weekend, do Jow Ga Kung Fu for 2 hours a week and go to gym MAYBE twicw a month for 30 min on the rowing machine.

My weight climbs by about 2lbs in winter time, and it comes off in summer. I used to worry about that gain, but don't anymore.

t
It's the year of the Pig.