slim_shady

tandem with a heart transplant

Hi,

I've a question.
A friend of mine what's to do a tandemjump, but she had a hearttransplant 3 years ago. She has a perfectly working heart now.
Does anybody have experience in this? Can she do the jump?
Her doctor told her it isn't save, but then again he doesn't know what a tandemjump is...

thanks

Do you really think that getting medical advice from a group of skydivers over the internet is the best way to make a decision?

Perhaps knowledge of skydiving is not required for the doctor to decide that skydiving is not the best idea for someone with a heart transplant. Perhaps knowledge of this person's specific medical and physical issues is more important.

What I don't know about heart transplants would fill a library.
What I don't know about this person's medical and physical issues would fill another book rack in that library.

Look for someone that has that information to help make the decision, perhaps that would be the doctor.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Do you really think that getting medical advice from a group of skydivers over the internet is the best way to make a decision?

One of my pet :S:S about this site.
"I have a brain tumor behind my eye, and now I'm having vicious headaches and slurred speech. I prefer organics and holistics, so I'm thinking of trying reiki and ginseng. What do you skydivers think?"

Find a skydiving cardiac surgeon and ask them.

it's not like these kind of surgeons grow on trees you know [:/]
but i've asked a doctor who is a skydiver, and he told me that my friend is perfectly capable doing a tandemjump!
i just wanted to know if somebody knows anyone who has been in this kind of situation.

the problem with surgeons is that they don't have enough knowledge of the sport... so they just say no!
and that's sad, because they unintentional take the pleasure away for my friend, but of course i don't want her to die !!

but i've asked a doctor who is a skydiver, and he told me that my friend is perfectly capable doing a tandemjump!

...based on his personal examination of your friend, as well as your friend's medical history and records, right?

This entire discussion is just stupid.

...based on his personal examination of your friend, as well as your friend's medical history and records, right?

This entire discussion is just stupid.

Not necessarily.

Some docs say "It's too dangerous, you aren't going to mess up my good work. NO!"

Others have no idea of the forces and stresses on the body during a jump, and say "NO!"

There is also the distinct possibility that the doc understands what will happen, and that the patient's condition would make it unsafe.

High altitude, rapid pressure changes during freefall, G-loading during opening, fairly high impact during landing.

Somewhere around here there is a "rough equivalent" to skydiving. Something along the lines of "If you can climb a 10k mountain, ride a 4g rollercoaster and safely experience a 10mph impact". I couldn't find it with a quick search, but it's there somewhere.

If the OP's friend wants a 2nd opinion, make sure it is from a doc who thoroughly understands both the heart patient's condition and the envronmental conditions of jumping.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

my sisters daughter had a heart transplant 19 years ago.. she does everything..but skydiver my own sister thinks I'm nuts too.. but I don't see any reason why she couldn't safely do it...

19 Years? Thats great. As I have heard that goes way beyond the life expectancy of of a recipient.

Anyway, I had a friend who had one in 1986 and he made it to 1992. He was very athletic and continued his lifestyle including flying until he got some illness. I guess the rejection drugs lower your immune system kind of like AIDS. Maybe they have gotten better lately.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I have a friend who has had 2 heart valve transplants and now she has gone from the pig valve to the mechanical one. Her doctor said she could not go on the jumps with us not because of the heart surgeries but because of her medications. So taking all the information about skydiving to your doc and ask what are their reasonings behind te decision would be best. For any extreme sport for that matter.
You create life, life does not create you.