Bandit589

Loss of left hand but wanting to jump?!?!

I went on my first tandom jump and fell in love! I was born without my left hand. I have about 4 inches below the elbow, so I am able to grab onto things with my nub (that's what I call it). Anyways, I want to know what I can do in order to jump solo. My instructor told me that he doesn't feel comfortable rigging anything, due to the "possibilities" that could happen. He advised me to do some research and find out what what others have done and what to expect for the unexpected. I have a do or die attitude and have never come across anything I can't do, so this is very frustrating for me. If anyone can lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not the right resource, but there are a number of jumpers who are missing various pieces of anatomy. Not all use prostheses, either.

So check back periodically, and the answers will start coming.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have about the same amount of my right arm as you have of your left, but mine was lost due to injury. I jump with a prosthetic and besides only minor rigging changes use standard gear. Of course I also had 1400 jumps when I lost my hand, so it was a matter of relearning instead of learning from scratch.

Do you use or have access to a prosthetic? If not I think the most difficult thing will be getting gear specially modified and then trying to find instructors who are capable of dealing with your differences.

PM me if you want to talk about this further. I really don't think there is any reason an arm amputee cannot skydive, but there are a number of challenges that make it more difficult.

Good luck and welcome to the sky.

- Dan G

you can jump with out a prothesis... Mike Morley of Ohio does and so do couple other members of the Pieces of eight... Mike Smith is one I can recall off top of my head.. Mike Moreley is amputee at shoulder and he jumps both rounds and Squares..

your gear will require modifcations to ensure you can do your EP (Emergency Procedures) you might want to look into having the rig set up with a SOS (single operation system) for the cutaway and reserve for one hand operation set up on right side. My rig (a racer) is set up this way. I could let you use rig if you need to to train / jump on it as it would cost you lot for new gear or have older gear set up like that...

Nancy LaRiviere of Jumpshack www.jumpshack.com can set you up on gear custom made for you..

as Dan G said in the post above.. you can skydive... you'll just have to adapt a little bit and modify your gear a bit so you can do your EP / flare for landings etc.

if jump without a prosthesis you'll need to be sure you can reach the bake line toogles after opening to release them. I'd release the left toogle first one farest away from your good hand...you'll need to release the right toogle quickly too or it'llstart to spin on you.. I always grabbed both toogle on my right hand and released them together..

train on your gear before you jump... everything going to be different for you..

bake line toogles

Is this some kind of new yummy baked good you're cooking up for us? ;)

Sorry. :P Okay, I'll go back into my little monovision hole now...:$

ltdiver

ok -5 points for my spelling....I use the Jesus Christ method of typing.. seek and yea shall find since I'm not watching the screen I sometimes fail to see / notice my mistakes...because my finger is usually typing almost as fast as my brain is thinking.... ;):P

I am Mike Morley, my left arm is amputated near the shoulder. My square canopy is A PD Navigator , 280 ft sq. . The only " rigging" ever done was to tie A 1" square nylon lanyard to the left steering toggle. The lanyard has A good Petzel carabiner on the opposite end, which I hook onto the right toggle after opening and canopy check. This is used to take off brakes simultaneously and for landnding/braked turns. I go back and forth between toggles for ordinary play-around steering. Your situation is not that difficult really. Flying is learned over time, and becomes instinct. You can fly with your legs , there are no limitations if you don't care how " different" you look ! You will need your own rig , A DZ will not modify equipment to rent to you. The USPA IS a GOOD SOURCE OF GUIDANCE. Contact Sherry Buthcher, one of the National Diectors at 330-925-3483.....She can help you locate A willing AFF instructor. Persistance and determination are the only ingedients necessary ! Blue Skies , Mike
Kenneth michael morley