edid

Pregnancy and skydiving?

My wife is 3 months pregnant and we are going to be jumping until she is about 5 months we think (many have jumped longer into their pregnancies) but does anyone have any information to say that she shouldn't or any asscoiated risks. Are there any obsetrician skydivers out there?

if i ever got preganat (my wife of course) i'd have to stop right away. i see how much it cost nowadays to have a baby and i'd just not have anything to spare...now marrge on the other hand might just slow me down a little.....
<>

I'm certainly not am OBGYN, but I did 2 S/L jumps while I was pregnant, but didn't know it yet. My OB was at the time working on his A licence. Off the record he had told me that if I was a more experienced jumper it would probally be OK if I jumped until I could no longer fit my gear, however there were of course risks to it. A hard landing that the average bear could walk away from could certainly harm the baby. Looking back now, even if I was an experienced jumper I probally would not have continued to jump. At the beginning of my first pregnancy I had no clue how the hormonal changes would effect my moods and decision making skills. Each pregnancy is different and every womans body reacts differently to it. Personally I was a spaz!! Half the time I was crying and the other half the time I couldn't remember my name!!!! I can't imagine how I would have reacted to a malfunction, I had a hard time trying to figure out what to cook for lunch!!! Just my opinion!!!
Jeji

Edid:
It's a known fact that you can jump right up into your 9th month of pregnancy. It does take a little more maneuvering with the round tummy, but can be just as . . .Oh, wait, you were actually talking about jumping from the plane weren't you!!??
You can jump all you want/afford . . . your significant other would want to check with her OB/GYN. Somehow, I'm thinking the possibility of a hard landing, early labor contractions, premature birth, may persuade her to think twice about jumping at 5+ months into her pregnancy. Not to mention her body will be changing and she'll already be experiencing a motherly arch of her own which may not be very comfortable. The chest strap may be another small inconvenient, uncomfortable piece of the equipment to consider as well.
Hmmm, any DZ operators out there . . . in all that paperwork that you fill out before you start jumping is there anything in there about jumping while pregnant? I don't know maybe I've been around lawyers too long, but I'm betting it's like strapping a newborn to you and jumping. Where does the rights of the child come in and there are questions as to your parental responsibilities of safeguarding your child.
Edid, good questions, I'm thinking there's a paper just waiting for a Family Law Student to write. Hope this didn't sound like I was judging your situation, I was just thinking out loud.
Divadiver

I get what you're saying Diva. It's something I hadn't thought of before. Heaven forbid something should happen from you skydiving, could there be legal repercussions I wonder?
And I agree with the forgetfullness factor! I swear I had a 'normal' memory before my two kids! Now I wrote notes all over my hands! I'd love to have a child with Merrick but I don't think I have any more brain cells to kill off! (Plus I think I'm in my 'selfish' phase where skydiving just sounds more fun to me...it's hard enough getting out to the DZ as much as I'd like with two older kids!)
Pammi

To important to have a safe pregnancy in my opinion. Man! I cant even imagine seeing a 5-8 month "mom to be" riggin up. Why even risk it? IMHO Lay off the smoking, drinking and skydiving. Make a pregnancy all you can.
But then I'm a dude, what do I know

This may not be as much of an issue with student gear, but look out for those hard openings too. They can knock the breath out of you....or even knock you out, so I shiver to think what that would do to a pregnancy. :)