zelda

quasi-skydiving related question

So, I'm about to begin a serious hunt for a new job, and I'm thinking about interview stuff...you know, where they ask you what kinds of non-job-related things you're into, and how do those things make you a better person, blah blah blah. You're probably beginning to guess the dilemma; I can talk about skydiving from now until the end of time, and how it's improved just about every aspect of my life (yes, even work!)--also, it's what I most like to talk about!
But, if I let on that I skydive, how much am I risking the whuffo reaction, "Whoa, we can't hire this woman; she'll be dead very soon!" Anybody have any experience/words of wisdom with this?
blues...
-zelda

I really wouldnt worry about it. I would suggest that you relate your potential new job to what it takes to skydive. For example, I sell technology so I said that skydiving has been able to give me control of high stress situations and it has made me fearless in sales (if i cant jump out of planes...I can certainly deal with technology sales). That sort of crap...sell yourself. Thats what they want to hear. If you want put me down as a referrence!!! I'll sell it for ya!!! Good luck.
The only negative comment I get is "We cant believe that we insure you..."
"I'll jump anything!"

Hi Zelda. I think it depends where you work and how much you actually care what others think. I work for the Auditor General of Alberta (government office) and the few "old timers" that know I skydive view it as a reckless act and actually frown down upon it. Now that I have been here awhile and people know me, I say screw them, if they don't like my decisions for my PERSONAL life that does not affect my work then tough. But I know that skydiving does hurt my professional "reputation" here at work. Some tend not to take me as seriously when they find out about me skydiving and do associate it with a reckless attitude.
But that is just my work and I may worry more about it if I planned on being her for the long haul. :)Tee

Zelda, thing is if you don't tell them, then when they find out (and you KNOW they will) it might be a big deal. Better to not get a job at the interview stage than to work off the 3 month probation and then lose the job. I would say you are better off telling them about it, but don't make like it is that big a deal. List it as one of two or three sports (yeah right, like we have the time/money for any other sports) and then answer any questions that arise.
That way they are informed from the start, can't make a big deal about it later and will understand when your sick-days always correspond to days with blue skies!:)This is a very good thread because it is something I have thought about too.
/s
[drop till you party!]

Yeah, I'd really rather not have to hide it...right now, it's pretty hard to miss--pic of my first jump as computer wallpaper, skydiving screensaver, skydiving pics all over my office...then think about the lying you'd have to do every Monday morning--"So, what did you do this weekend?" I don't want it to cost me a potentially good job, but I'm REALLY opposed to hiding it...
Thanks for your responses folks!
-zelda

List it as one of two or three sports

That could make for an interesting exchange...
INTERVIEWER: "So what do you do in yourspare time?"
ZELDA: "I like gardening, music, dancing and hurling myself out of airplanes at 14000 feet."
INTERVIEWER: "Those are nice hobbies. Uh. Could you run that last one by me again?"
:D
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think an employer can discriminate based on personal hobbies. People at my work know I'm a skydiver, I don't advertise it but it's hard to miss (skydiving pictures on the walls, Dropzone.com usually open on my computer, USPA sticker on the car, etc...). I've done quite a bit of interviewing for perspective employees and when I do, I need to keep to the professional aspect of the person. Can't ask about marital status, kids, etc... Then again, I do live in CA where you can get sued for anything
On the other hand, if someone does decide not to hire you because they think you are a risk, it'd be REALLY hard to prove they discriminated because you skydive.
My best piece of advice, Spell check your resume!!!! That, and if you're gonna BS on experience, make sure you can walk the walk.

I stayed pretty low key about my skydiving when I took the job I'm in now. It really didn't come up at the interview, so I didn't volunteer. My previous employer did give me greif about it more than once, so I figured why open that can of worms? Its my personal life, what I do on the weekends, so how is it their business? They know now, and its no big deal really, but they do make comments about how crazy it is.
But, speaking as a person in a position to hire people, I would not discriminate against anyone for their weekend leisure activities which are perfectly legal. I've had enough problems with 20 something party girls, (and boys) crawling in to work still blasted from the night before. (Not like I didn't used to do that myself...) So, I know there is a lot worse than skydivers, out there in the work force.
So if the subject comes up, talk about how skydiving has improved your self confidence and decision making skills, and how that will make you a better employee.
And, just a word of wisdom... its probably not a good idea to call in sick to go jumping. If Karma has her way, that will be the one day that something happens, and you will have a hard time explaining why you are on crutches the next day when you stayed home from work for the sniffles!

Zelda,
I wURK as a contractor and get to do at least 2 and usually 3 job interviews a year. There's at least two ways of approaching the dilema. You can fail to metion it totally. When they eventually find out and ask why you didn't mention it the interview you can tell 'em that they didn't ask about all consuming passions. They only asked about sports and pastimes...:-). You can just mention it casually, as in: "oh yeah, I jump a bit. Don't get the chance as much as I'd like but...". Totally failing to mention that if you DID get the chance you'd eat and sleep on the way to altitude because you're jumpin' 25 hours a day 8 days a week 53 weeks a year. Or you can use my ploy...:-) Go through your 'accomplishments', in my case it sort of goes... Several unsupported, extended bicycle trips trhough arid areas, carrying up to 3 weeks food adn 5 days water. Extended solo bushwalks ........etc. By the time I get to skydiving they've got me pegged as crazy. Then I tell 'em it all teaches responsibility, clear thinking under pressure, and sound RISK managagment practices. Of course I totally fail to tell 'em that I only want the job until I've scraped enough cash together to get the next expedition under way. (Long, aarid area, unsupported trips are as expensive as jumping...:-( 4 people, 8 weeks, arid and dry costs about 10k Australian EACH with no refunds for bad weather etc. )
Ooroo
Mark F...

Zelda, I think the biggest factor is the person conducting the interview... some people will view you with respect, others with disdain, and still others will be ambivalent. While you can choose to sell yourself in any manner you see fit, you have no control over who is across the desk from you.
Frank

Zelda...
I have never gotten a negative reaction when I've talked about skydiving to a future employer...I've always been treated even better actually. Maybe because I am 21 also, I dunno...but they look at it as a huge accomplishment, most people are afraid of flying nevertheless jumping out of a plane. Skydiving alone maybe seem like it's so incrediably scarey to the non jumper...however if they truly have a hobby themselves that they love, a passion, then it's easier to relate. If you're future employer questioned your sanity or just wasn't relating you could ask them what they liked to do...how does one tell a non jumper what it's like? they can't...it's like describing the way how chocolate tastes(personally i hate chocolate lol), or what a wave does to a surfer. Who ever you go into an interview for you shouldn't bwe hesitant...you should stand taller, not only is it an accomplishment to be a skydiver, but you also are a female....anyone who can't see that I'm sure is afraid...afraid you take more risks then they do.
**BLUE ONES**

BITE ME.... :P

Anybody have any experience/words of wisdom with this?

Zelda,
A few words come to mind: Goal oriented - Didn't you have to go through AFF to get you license? Remember what it took to get there? Risk taker & Confident - This one's a given; I mean, not many people like to throw themselves at the earth from 3 miles up. Problem solver - Can I make the peas from a long spot? A Team player - Are you able to fly your slot?? Organized - Do you have a gear bag with all you equipment in order? Safety oriented - Giving gear checks to you buddies at the ramp. Creative - a freeflyer. Competitive - Are you mad when you funnel the formation? Dependable - Does your parachute have nice opening or have you packed for others?:S
Okay, you get the point. I'm just describing skydivers, but you can relate most any job to these characteristics...
Throw that in you interviewer's face!:o
Good luck,
Shark

hahahahahaha
Shark all the points you raised there are true, but they only apply to me AS FAR AS SKYDIVING IS CONCERNED!!!(and I suspect I'm not the only one).
Sometimes I am amazed I have kept my job, because the last while I have been none of those things at work (ever wonder where I got the time to post over 300 times to this forum?)
:)/s
[drop till you party!]

One interview I went for, I had to fill out this little personality thing. One of the questions was "What's your greatest accomplishment" - I put "Becoming an "A" licensed skydiver. It made an impression, and I explained it was a goal I had, I had to overcome fears, I had to learn something new, I had to deal with high stress, etc etc. I got a second interview, and was almost hired... until the comapny decided they needed to lay-off 10% of their people. :-(

So, I'm about to begin a serious hunt for a new job, and I'm thinking about interview stuff...you know, where they ask you what kinds of non-job-related things you're into, and how do those things make you a better person, blah blah blah. You're probably beginning to guess the dilemma; I can talk about skydiving from now until the end of time, and how it's improved just about every aspect of my life (yes, even work!)--also, it's what I most like to talk about!
But, if I let on that I skydive, how much am I risking the whuffo reaction, "Whoa, we can't hire this woman; she'll be dead very soon!" Anybody have any experience/words of wisdom with this?

Honestly, I don't think it really matters much.. I have a lot of friends, in all different types of work, that skydive and have never had a problem during an interview when asked about it.. Just be honest about it, but brief.. Don't go overboard - if so, they won't hire you because they know they'll have to listen to you talk about skydiving all the time.. :D
If I am at an interview, it may be viewed different for me than for somebody in another field of work.. I'm a pilot.. If they ask me why I skydive, it's something like.... "Well, if you see the way I fly, you wouldn't have to ask why I am intimately familiar with parachutes.." ;)
Mike

The question always comes up, usually in the form of an open ended question like "tell me about yourself".
I always answer this like "well, in my spare time I jump out of airplanes". I'm very open and honest about it, and I've found that it garners respect from the interviewer.
Portraying skydiving as an "extreme" sport isn't a hard sell, and it sells you as a job candidate who's high energy, motivated, and a risk taker. It's not dificult to draw comparisons between skydiving and other facets of work life - like high preasure decision making, etc.
I had also prepared a line for the occaision then they did react with the danger line, and it had something to do with George Bush (senior) jumping 10 years ago. I never had to use this line.
_Am