indyz

Wire rope / cutaway cable cutters

indyz.........try Grainger.com
Put "steel cable cutter" in search box. You didn't say whether hard or soft steel, or gauge. Anyway there are several choices.
We use Greenlee or Klein brand cable cutters mostly because of the no questions asked replacement, even when the tool destruction is clearly our fault. Grainger does have other brands as well. If it's for rigging purposes you should be able to find something in the $100 range. Just a reminder that a larger cutter gives you more leverage with less effort (in case you are looking at doing many repetitions).

indyz

Can anybody recommend a good, affordable, set of cable cutters? All of the stuff at my local hardware stores says "not for steel".

I have purchased a couple of large diagonal cutters at local stores that have worked well (assuming they stay sharp). Maybe $10 to $20? I have never seen anything on the packaging that says "not for steel".

peek

I have purchased a couple of large diagonal cutters at local stores that have worked well (assuming they stay sharp). Maybe $10 to $20? I have never seen anything on the packaging that says "not for steel".

I've used dikes and can usually get a serviceable cut with them, but in my experience purpose-built cable cutters with triangular or curved blades are consistently better. Our dropzone has a bench-mounted cutter that is awesome, but also expensive and non-portable. I've gotten a couple recommendations via PM that I'm going to follow up on, including this one. Para Gear also has a cutter for $65.

I use some very much like these with very good success. Diagonal cutters with straight cutting edges flatten the cable.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338233-32251-2972-PKG_4294719596__?productId=3554900&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I bought a great set online for like $15 from a place that sells bike repair tools. If I could remember the website, I'd post it, but that was a few years back. They're better than anything "skydive specific" I've used, or anything I could find at home depot.