iwasinkheson68

micro raven openings

Hi Peter,

there was a Raven reserve pro packing video

To the best of my memory, the very first video reserve packing was a Raven, side-packed into a Vector II.

Anyone out there still have the video?

I used to have it, along with pro-packing a Raven into a Racer. I have no idea what happened to them.

Jerry Baumchen

ahh - the good old days of f-111, when new they opened hard and landed soft - then as they aged the two reversed a tad bit.

Glide path... were they all noted for hard openings? my Arial 170 fractured my back on my very first tandem video - I was thankful to still be able to walk and that my camera didn't rip my head off.

Every time I hear Glide Path its come up in a convo about hard openings...or the Nova

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Can someone tell me how u would get a hard pull?
Are they packing there pilot chute some weird way i just can't understand how it can be so bad that u cant pull it out at all ive seen people just shove there pilots chutes in and have no dramas
FTMC

skez

Can someone tell me how u would get a hard pull?
Are they packing there pilot chute some weird way i just can't understand how it can be so bad that u cant pull it out at all ive seen people just shove there pilots chutes in and have no dramas

Any bunching up of the fabric can cause it. BOC that are not spandax are more susceptible as they dont give. I used to pack my pilot chute Brian Germains way and local rigger told me he didn't like it as it 'might' cause a hard pull. Ignored him for a while then had a hardish pull myself and then took note when i packed for the CI and he said he nearly went to reserve. Now i pack pilot chute how the rigger showed me :)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Yeh i was thinking with spandex it would be pretty hard to fuck it up so badly that u cant pull it out...and i noticed ppl do alot of different methods in pilot chute packing....see some doing folds in half...then others roll etc...theres so many different ways and no one can agree on whats right lol i made up my own way which is probably what alot of other ppl have done
FTMC

Hellis

What is good about 'Brians' method is that you can't pack a uncoocked PC with that method.

Can you be more specific about what an how it caused a problem with this packing?

I agree and that is what i like about it. It has been 2 yrs since it was explained/demonstrated to me, so hopefully my description is accurate. In Brians method you pull the centre to the edge of the pilot chute. This can create bulk away from the hackey if you aren't careful. This can then bunch up on extraction. Way Andy taught me is to fold two sides to meet at the hackey (middle). It creates a very even and flat distribution of fabric.

Sorry but the description probably sucks.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I packed myself a hard pull that way once, too. It was also an older, floppy pilot chute, so it slid around more easily. When I got back to the hangar, it was confirmed that sucker wasn't coming out.
Packed it myself, too. So now I pack a nice tight cylinder, and I haven't had a problem since.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have had 3 rides on a MR 110.

All 3 were on heading, all 3 were not hard, but swift.

One of them was with 7 kilos of lead.

All 3 I stood up.

I knew they stalled easy, I always open high and therefore I had time to test the flare. It stalls at my ears.

I weigh between 76 and 80 kg so therefore I load it at. +/- 1.76 or 1.9 with my weight belt.

I prefer an optimum which I have now (126) but it worked, it saved my life and there were no real issues.

Mine has (/had, Just sold it with my container), a ZP topskin which probably helps the flare and flying somewhat.

I have no issue jumping it. But as I am getting older and less bolder I prefer a larger reserve with more flare.

Speed-Flyer

I have had 3 rides on a MR 110.

All 3 were on heading

Hope this is not taken wrong but I find it a bit funny. I would have never thought to describe a reserve opening as on heading. As long as it is not in line twists I wouldn't even think of it. Just never paid attention is all. Maybe just me because mine were all under sub 80 mains with shit happening fast and they probably were fairly on heading but I just found humor in it for my own personal values. A 45-90 off is not something I think I would notice much or at least chalk it up to the canopy itself.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Well, if he can do a stand up landing on a Micro Raven 110 with extra weight, I consider this guy a badass canopy pilot. Such canopy pilot should be aware of every little thing, including how on heading the opening were during the time of stress.

Rookie like you and me probably won't understand. :D

Bernie Sanders for President 2016

A more reasonable theory would be an average to very sub average canopy pilot can land a micro raven...there will always be fucktards that hurt themselves....the type that hurt themselves on even the docilest of mains...but in saying that if you are flat out landing your main and all of sudden u go striaght to a completely different canopy 7cell after cutaway down low and your freaking out...they flare early hurt themselves and go fuck it wasnt my fault it was that raven they did it....dont you know they have a bad name......haha yes i know people will cry about this post....:ph34r:

FTMC