Deus

Big Guy Question

Alright, as a newbie disciple of the skygods, I have become evangelistic in my preaching of salvation that only comes from 15,000 feet up. One of the whuffos I recently preached to is extremely excited about making his first jump, however he's 320lb. I only know that when I went, I was told that you had to be 240lb. or less. Is there any hope for him, or is he destine to stay on the ground?
PS. Will this need to tell everyone and anyone who will listen to me about skydiving ever end? I kinda hope not, but all the whoffo's I know seem to be getting sick of it. Oh well...
Blue skies forever,
Deus

I don't know if this guy can get down to wieght... he's about 6'6" or so, and while he could lose some weight, I don't know if he could lose that much.. I was told that you had to be 240 or less... and right now he just wants to make his first jump, and even though I don't see how anyone could want to not jump again after that, I doubt seriously he's going to want to spend 10g's to make his first jump... anyone else have any idea's for him? I thought that tandem equip has like a 500lb limit, but I could be seriuosly wrong... would a small jm be able to take him?

A small TM would keep the equipment within its limits but the abuse on the TM's body would be too much for most to even think about it. Its my under standing that to get a student larger then your self places great strain on the TM. Also what happens if your friend passes out right before landing? Would you want a 125 pound TM tring to flare a tandem canopy for a landing? Odds are that they would crash REAL hard if that happens. Look at how a tandem landing with light weights can go wrong... Just some food for thought.
Whoa... That was cool!

Hmmm... my TM was a petite Skygoddess on my first Tandem, who I believe I outwieghed by 100+ pounds, and on my third jump,(and last as of yet, groan!!!) the TM was a guy who was even smaller than my first TM... so I guess I never thougt about the size, other than I had to sit-exit the plane on my first jump because my TM was worried that I might crush her into the roof if I jumped... anyway, so if a smaller TM's not an option, are there any other ways he might be able to jump?

There was 1 guy that bought a tandem rig for himself and went through aff training.

Buying a tandem rig is a definite possibility. I've referred several extra-large people to the tandem manufacturers. If he's willing to drop the coin they will probably work with him to build something that he can use for student jumps and afterwards that will safely handle his exit weight. Another (cheaper) alternative is seeking out a used tandem rig and having that modified by a master rigger.
He may also be able to find a dzo that will help get him in the air with a slight modification to a tandem rig. The dzo where I learned did that for a 300 lb. guy that wanted to jump - turned the tandem rig into a static line rig for two jumps.
Besides the equipment problem, there may also be a problem finding AFF jumpmasters capable of flying on their bellies with him. He's gonna fall freakin' FAST!! Once off student status he'd be a great base for 3d formations though...
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I don't think much, therefore I might not be

I would be very surprised if you can't find a DZ up in your neck of the woods that is able to accomodate your friend. At my dad's DZ in Alabama, he has three MT1-XX HALO rigs modified for sport use by BIG jumpers. They have 375 square foot mains and reserves and adjustable harnesses, so they will fit almost anyone. I am sure that there are some northern DZ's with similar equipment, you will just have to call around.
Chuck