PalmettoTiger

0:0:0 :(

My scores seem to be headed in the wrong direction. ;)
The surgery (radioactive synovectomy on my left elbow) went without a hitch. Unfortunately I can't skydive for another 10 days. I was allowed to take my arm out of the sling today, which was incredibly liberating. I didn't realize how tired it could get just hanging there doing nothing!! I managed to stop by the DZ on my way home from the beach (which isn't quite as fun if your elbow is supposed to be immobilized) and I PICKED UP MY RIG!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I get to practice packing with one hand! ;)
I'll send HH a picture for the Pub in a little bit. I don't have a name for it yet but I'm leaning towards Kate; 6 of the dozen or so girls I've dated have been named Katherine or some variation of that name. Since I'll be spending most of my time and money with the rig, and not yet another Kate, I figured it would be appropriate. :)Anyway, I hope everyone had a more eventful weekend than I did. I have to study for my Econ final so I will come back Tuesday afternoon to see who got laid, who got to jump, and who had to buy beer.
Bring on the juicy stories!!
Blues, Squares,
PTiger
*insert sub-100 character sig here*

congrats on the rig!!! it's nice having your own stuff, isn't it?
good weekend here as well. we started jumping at 5:30 AM on saturday, got in 3 jumps before I had to work in manifest. Got out n time to do two more in the evening. First one was a sweet four way where we did a block I didn't think I was capable of (zig-zag star with verticals) and another that I'd been dying to try out (sb donut-sf donut) and it was awesome. nice to see some drill dives working in application. did a second 4way with jerry bird and some others which was fun too... sunday i did a neat hybrid dive (2 sit/1 belly)
had my 300th all planned out for sunday, picked out a 16 way that looked pretty fun. weather moved in and prevented it though. SO it'll be tomorrow at our beach demo/boogie in wildwood. s'about it.
gnite, beach bus leaves early!
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

had my 300th all planned out for sunday, picked out a 16 way that looked pretty fun.

Damn girl, you rock. 100 jumps since Easter? And people say I jump like a mad man. Sounds like you'll be doing the Hakuna Matata dive, huh?
Ooh yeah, my score was 0:6.5:1 ;) Two solo head downs, 2 big ways (9 & 12), and 2 coach jumps. The half jump is for the tandem I rode as a passenger (since it's not really a logable jump). That's also the reason for the case of beer, since I had never done a tandem before.

0:2:2... fairly low, I know, but come on, I'm getting there. Two cases of beer owed in one day, though... one for my first landing on the peas without radio assistance, one for losing a ripcord somewhere over one of the many fields of corn in downstate Illinois.
Now if I could just work on that first 0... :P
Marc
Almost through the whole SL progression! Woohoo!

everytime you jump from a plane is loggable.tandems included.
des

We had a little discussion about it at the DZ and the general consensus was I could log it, but it didn't count towards licenses, ratings, or awards, so I figured it wasn't worth the trouble of giving it a number and having to remember to subtract it out for certain things later.

Ooh yeah, my score was 0:6.5:1

Wow, I must have been tired as hell when I wrote that last night. I actually owe 2 cases of beer for this weekend because in addition to riding my first tandem I also broke 200 this weekend on one of the solo head-downs. :)

0:9:0....The important number is the 9 of course. Nothing smaller than a 3 way and nothing less than 7 points except the really wild Horny Gorilly we did sunset load yesterday. Does it cound that we held it to about 8 from 14,500? The beer numbers are getting good for me as I think it was about time for the new kids to buy beer for awhile. Massive quantities were consumed so no worries. As for the first number....I was propositioned but choose not to go there.
Not bad numbers all in all for a weekend that had nothing but rain on Sat. Yes, rain hurts when you fall in it.
No it is on the the 4th ....what did you do on the 4th? Nothing much just jumped out of a plane to celebrate my freedom!

As for the first number....I was propositioned but choose not to go there.

Mouth, I forgot you had a date! Do tell, girlfriend...you don't have to be specific, but did it go well? Will you be seeing him again?
Andrea
"Up high, I feel like I'm alive for the very first time"

Hey, Mouth!!!!!!!
Sorry it's monday, you seem to have had a super weekend - I'm jealous......but my time will get here, I know it will. Tell all, dearie, oh, the gossip!!! (Only thing I want to know is did you have a ton of fun?)
As for me and my "scores", if friday counts, then: 0:1:0. The first number has been years(sigh!), I jumped on friday (level 4), and I did not increase my beer debt by one bottle (thank god - but I didn't drink any, either).
Oh well. Perhaps I will have better numbers to report someday.....
ciel bleu
Michele

Maybe for dinner but nothing serious. He jumps but not lots and well you know me, I spent the entire weekend at the DZ...got in about 2 this morning. He was nice enough and very much the gentleman which was nice. Guess I'll just play it cool and see, but serious and I do not get along well. That explains why I don't date much. I think I've become too independent since my divorce....NOT.
BTW....he did recognize me in a dress! And no I was not going all out. The humidity was oppressive and the dress is cooler than pants.

Morning Michele......
I can relate to the having been years. I went there before and after by divorce. Things will get better....trust me on that. The voice of an older woman assures you of that.
Besides, right now the most important thing in life is to get those jumps done. It took me a month to get off student status last year, but then the jumps just start coming. Be patient, relax, enjoy yourself (that is part of why you do it) and NEVER give up.
I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you my story. I am a skydiver. I fell in love with altitude when I took my first plane ride from Atlanta to Miami when I got a job working for the airlines after I graduated college...long time ago. The painting that nature provides us from aloft rivals any museum collection on earth. I never cease to be amazed that I am looking at something ever changing that can stay so constant in that it thrills me to my very soul. Last year when a friend said he was jumping and invited me to go along I saw it as a chance to get back up there and enjoy the beauty from above.
Of course I was hooked from the time we left the plane (thanks to Howard and Kevin on video). No amount of discussion can prepare you for the multitude of sensations experienced during a skydive. Fear, joy, awe, exhileration, tension, relief, and pride all roll into one giant emotion. Funny thing is I still feel each of these emotions on every jump. I think that is how it is supposed to be. If you no longer taste the fear or wallow in the pride of your accomplishment then it is no longer worth doing.
Anyway, fear can be a motivator as well as a handicap. I have chosen to use it as a motivator. I've always known that I don't like to be up high on a ladder or anything like that so I have that to deal with on every jump. It is the fear that doesn't cause brain shut-down but more so brain-fixation. Landings used to just kill me. I didn't stand one up until I had 20 jumps. I was so proud of myself I almost cried.
I realized just how much this fear effected me when we spent weekend before last in the wind tunnel. There were walls, a net floor, and fans in the ceiling. All objects that I could touch and feel and that could touch me back. It took me most of the weekend just to get over that. I finally managed to relax enough so that I am confident I can handle it when I go back. Yes, I will go back just to prove to myself that I can do it.
Another obsticle to overcome is age. Those kids that are half my age really seem to catch on lots quicker than I do. Not a problem, I just keep on trying and don't give up. If I fall out of the formation I owe it to them to try and get back in, but I also owe it to myself to be the best I can be. That does not mean that when jumping becomes work I won't rethink my position. (sorry David, I understand your position and I hope you can see mine)
Anyway, sorry for the meandering and backsliding I just did, but the moral to this long drawn out thesis is that we all have fears to face. We all choose to face them in our own way. Sometime we are right, sometimes we aren't. That is life. I'm proud of you for facing your fears and flying with them. You are an inspiration to us all in that you so willingly face your fears and share them so honestly with us.
Lisa

well, 0:3:0
and I know now what all the fuss is about with Sabre's
Did a fun solo jump first thing in the morning on Sunday...just as I go to roll backwards out the door...I get a cramp in my leg and spend the whole dive trying to straighten my leg (must have looked really funny from below...this solo guy doing 360's, 720's, and not doing anything that looks stable). Then I went out and did some student training jumps with What42...and fruitlooped his arse!!
Oh well, only had one beer in the whole weekend, so I can't say anything for my last 0...it was given to me.
Nursing a broken back (nearly),
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke:P
NZPF A - 2584

Thanks for sharing that with me, Lisa. I still have incredible doubts and fears about jumping (and about me, if the truth be told), but they are lessening, and maybe someday I will only have the benefit of them and not the detriment.
Since we're sharing stories, you know a little of mine. Almost exactly a year ago, after finding out hubby was gay (which explains the no-sex for the last two years of my marriage), and then landing in the hospital because he didn't want anyone else to know (first attempt at free fall by going over the banister and through the plate glass window is NOT recommended...lol), I divorced him. Two weeks after getting out of the hospital, I totalled my car, and wham! back into the hospital. Then my father came out of remission and had to go for chemo and radiation treatments again. It got so I wouldn't trust myself with any little decisions, let alone big ones. I wanted to highlight my hair, so it took me two weeks to decide to do it, and then another 3 hours to decide the color; demand that it was done so subltly no-one would know. And then got really pissed off that no-one noticed...... and got me to wondering how much of my life is run by fear, and by "safe" choices and no "risk" taking, which is what led me to jumping.
I decided out of the blue that this would be a good way for me to learn to depend on myself, to trust myself, and to have confidence in myself and the choices I make about me and my life. And then I fell in love. With jumping, with the sky, and with the environment/skydiving society as a whole.
And then I get the mal. Talk about finding out in a hurry about myself. And that experience has had interesting impacts in my life, in general. I don't know all the effects, but I find that I am more quietly confident, more relaxed, and more at ease with myself and the people around me. I am re-discovering myself at 12.5, and I like who I'm becoming. (Sounds kind of arrogant, sorry).
And as to when this "drought" will end, it will end when it ends. I am in no hurry, and I can't say that I would be a good match for anyone until I know myself better; I know "he" will show up, and I am working on myself so I can meet him as a happy, healthy, whole woman, and give him the joy I know he will bring to me.
Until then, I just keep smiling...see? :)Ciel bleu -
Michele

3:11:2
Hay Mouth, Michelle,, just keep in mind we Love ya's!! My "D" was official 2 months ago,, they only thing I miss about it is my daughter,, but we all get along better now,, get over it,, move on,, and enjoy your new freedom!! when your ready the right man will be there,, OK enough a the Opra crap! hee hee,, jumped Fri-Sat-Sun and today we had a news crew come out ta show what ya can do locally for fun this Summer,, they had a ball and the very cute news gal did a tandem near Sunset with a stand up landing with no winds,, so because the plane was flyin got in 2 jumps today,, the last of the weekend a 4 way track dive at sunset from 16K,,, so my numbers are a little padded cuz my weekend started on Thurs and don't go back ta work till Wednesday night,, but since I can't jump anymore may have ta work on that first number!! Beers were for first kiss and first horny gorilla,, got a friggin harness hickey on the first jump Fri,, half way around my leg!! On Sun jumped a rig I'm thinkin a buyin,, a Falcon 210 in a Talon container,, exit weight 180lbs,, me with only 58 jumps,, my AFF instructors think it's a good combo for me now so I just have ta get the $$,, very few jumps, Cypres with a battery change due soon,, good price,, loved the way it opened and flew compared to the student gear I been rentin,, 9 jumps on that gear and I hurt all over!!
Sorry bout the babblin but still jacked from a great Sunny,,warm,,weekend!!
Hugs Ladies and Sweet Dreams!!
B

Way to go Billy. Best numbers yet....keep it up and we might all get jealous.
I remember my frist rig. I was so happy when I got it Labor Day weekend last year. I jumped and jumped that weekend until I cut it away on jump #38 on Labor Day. I recently sold it and got a new Mirage, but i still look longingly at my first "baby" and remind the guys who purchased it and split it up to be gentle with her. Good luck with the purchase...nothing can compare to owning your own stuff.