IHazySky

Singer 20U vs Consew CN2053R-1

Same thing. That Consew is a 20u copy. One of many with different names probably from the same Chinese factory. If you can find a used 20u, an older Japanese made one it will probably be of somewhat better quality. But the Consew will be fine as well.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

If it is white/cream color, stay away from it. The Chinese models have lots of reviews of poor quality.Take the time to find a Japanese made 20U. For $650, I would also suggest looking for a Pfaff 138 or Bernina 217.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Good luck finding that Bernina 217 for $650. Sometimes you can buy machines from people who don't know how to market them for cheap, but they are hard to find. I have a Reliable 20u model, and it works fine for me. I bought it used and saved a few bucks, but again, I looked for a long time locally.

Get a machine and learn to use it. Get used to buying Chinese made machines. Back in the 60's and 70's when Japanese manufacturing was starting to be imported we all laughed. Now we all look for Japanese product from this era because we see it as higher quality. The 20u is a mass produced, relatively simple design that is very robust. BTW, the difference between the /53 and the /73 or the common older /33 models is simply the maximum width of the zigzag. The older Japanese ones are almost all /33 models.

The European (Swiss and German) machines are definitely higher quality. But your sewing won't be any better. Any more than you will be a better driver if you have a Ferrari instead of a Ford.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I agree, finding a 217 or 138 is not as easy as buying something new from a retailer. I tend to check Craig's list a fair bit and have found four 217s and a 138, all for a good bit under $650. Three of the 217s have the cam drive as well. So they are out there. Just takes persistence to find them. I bought the 138 from a clothing company in Canada, with shipping, was still less then $650.:P

Don't get me wrong, the 20U is a rock solid machine. Great to learn on and cheaper. I just found it took a bit of adjusting more often to get it to sew nicely when changing between different materials. Or even straight to zig zag for that matter. Price for a used Japanese machine should be in the $350 range. I sold mine to a home rigger and he uses the hell out of it. But if you go into a full loft or gear manufacturer, you will see a whole lot more of the Pfaff or Bernina.

One place where the 20U has an edge, parts prices. So much cheaper.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Has best I can.tell the 20u's from.china range in quality from harbor freight crap (a friend has a no name one that.cam with.a.l chinese only manual. Never has sewn a good zigzag. The consew version may one of the better but I'd still look for a tan or blue version.

I have a bernina 217 with cam, a consew 199 ( I have a double throw 308) but come in standard 304 zig zag, a two pfaff's 238's. Prices ranged from essentially free to $750. Only one over $500.

Use a multiple.craigslist search (onecraigs) and limited distance ebay search. Also the DOD auction site (search government liquidation) Often lightly.used good machine that they call unrepairable.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I can get a 217, but the shipping they guy quoted me is outrageous. Are you saying the Bernina lays down a nicer straight stitch while still remaining functional as a zigzag machine. I need a machine that does both. I don't have the space to get a proper drop feed straight stitch and a ZZ...

On my 20U, I could only get a decent straight stitch on lighter materials by switching to the straight stitch throat plate, feed dogs, and foot. It only takes a few minutes and a screwdriver to swap the parts, but it gets annoying. Heavier material like cordura or webbing worked fine with either set of feet. On my 217, I just set the stitch width to zero and go. Having owned both, the 217 is by far the better machine. The only downside is that parts can be extremely expensive.

I have the light blue 20U. The only complaint i have is that it won't do a zig-zag on the widest setting but I don't use that anyway.

I tried a CN2053R and it seemed to be just a clunkier version of the 20U. It was new but there was more play than my used machine and it had the identical problem with wide zigzags.

-Michael

I did it by finding a 1900a that was truly like new and a consew 199-2( the double throw I didn't have), both for $2700. I almost didn't realize the consew was part of the deal and had to buy them at auction based only on video of the juki running. For ONCE I felt like I got the deal.:$

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I agree you can find a 138 or 217 for under $650. Not a terribly difficult thing to do for the 138. 217's are a little rarer but I picked one up last month complete with a cam reader for $500.

Both my 138 and 217 are fantastic machines and I can only recommend to people buy the best machine that you can afford. Don't skimp and buy something cheap to learn on. If the machine is difficult to work, it will make it harder to learn. The last thing you need to do is try to keep looking for the next machine to replace the one you. Just my $0.02.