ColdDuck

Do you jump with an R.S.L ?

I think because they can get their lines and crap tangled up with their camera gear, esp. ringsights...and after they cutaway they need to get more stable (if possible, i.e., if altitude allows) before they deploy their reserve. If they are unstable their deploying reserve could become entangled with their helmet. etc... (is this correct, anyone?)

That's it exactly..
Mike

have rsl, DO NOT USE
fly camera
to the point, not only if you have entanglement and you chop do you need to get restable, but if you have entanglement and chop, it's most likely your main will still be tangled with your helmet, camera gear, in which case if your rsl pulls the reserve, you're probably going to have a big ball of shit of you main/reserve entanglement in which case your toast. if you have main entanglement with a camera helmet, you should be prepared to chop the main, and chop the helmet. that's right, dump it, $3,000 worth of camera gear ain't gonna do you any good if you bounce. be prepared to toss your camera helmet, get stable to pull the reserve. rsl does not allow time to do this. even if you don't jump a camera, you should know your shit and not need one.
disconnect it.
and one more thing, if you have a total, an rsl won't do a thing. if you don't understand this you should go back to class.
oh btw, whoever said rsl's and aad's did the same thing? they are completely different
got cypress, turn it on. you never know what 97jump wonder skygod wannabe is going to pull some combat rw out and kick you in the face... or when the casa's gonna flip and you hit your head as your tossed out the tail...
all this, then hook it ;)
:)lew:S

WOOHOO! GO Lew! LOL Combat RW and flippin' CASAs!! hehe
You know, I get a lot of slack about having only sixty jumps in a year. But I see people who have 200 jumps in less than six months, and then immediately downsize to Extreme VX canopies, etc. and I wonder if I am more dangerous or are they? I mean, I admit I don't have many jumps in a year...but I have talked to a few good old-timers who have told me they only got forty or fifty or so in their first year. Even if that was thirty years ago, so what?
So, this whole thing regarding about 98-jump wonders...I am jealous of them but should I REALLY be???!!!
I dunno, I mean, 60, that's not a lot of jumps for me in a year I guess, but I've attended lots of seminars and first jump courses and what not, so does that help??
Guess I am nervous about Quincy! (excited too though)
Sis

I'm not crazy because I take the right pills everyday.

I don't. The 3 ring release and ripcord handle work just fine.....Why do people cutaway and not pull the reserve?
That is what the rsl is designed for....Dorks
Gadgets will never replace training. Dorks will always find a way to screw up the most simple designs.
Like an open parachute
More later,
PH

I do...granted I'm a newbie, but I've looked into this issue a lot. I don't recall seeing any deaths caused by a main/reserve entanglement due to an RSL. I have read, however, many cases of people cutting away and not pulling the reserve in time, if at all. Whether it's due to panic, or whatever, it seems that's more likely to kill you then an entanglement caused by the RSL. The main argument I've heard to not use it is in case you need to get stable after cutting away. IMO if you're unstable when you cut away, you're probably not going to have the best altitude awareness, you're probably falling faster then in a stable position, and if you're spinning, it might be that much harder to find and/or reach silver. Even more reasons why I choose to use one.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Lew & Mike pretty much nailed the reasons I was thinking of. Thanks guys!

"Hey! I resemble that remark! (we all have our forte and mine isn't RW!)"

Well, it wasn't about you April (remember, I haven't actually jumped with you yet ;)). That 'stab' was actually meant for another dz.comer, but aparently he's not watching this thread, or he would have jumped on that like a neutered puppy on my pant leg! lol
"If words were wisdom, I'd be talkin' even more.."

thanks sis,
hey no worries, the first year is the hardest to accumulate jumps. it took me 2 years to get my A and 26 jumps, ugh...
but since then, i've made 300+ in 2 years. And if you attend training and seminars and read a lot about it, i'm sure you're way better off than the 97jump wonder skygod wannabe who thinks he too cool to go to training and know everything already. i'd rather jump with you. as for learning, shit, i'm in 4 years now and my learning curve is still shooting up. there's just so much to this sport... I'm going to attend the seminars at quincy. btw, look for me if you're at quincy, really tall blonde chic in green dakine suit, i'll jump with you. and let me tell you, you're going to have the time of your life at quincy... just be careful in the air under canopy, most people will have faster chutes than you, and there's a lot of traffic. i'm all about the alternate landing area.
peace girl, blue skies
:)lew:S

I don't use an RSL....took it off a few years ago when I started jumping the board. Now I have it off because I HAVE had a fast-spinning malfunction under a moderately loaded (1.8:1) elliptical canopy. (Actually it was off prior to the mal, but in anticipation of it....)
==8-0
Lindsey
"I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave him and go skydiving!"

Lew...
Woman, I will be looking for you at Quincy!! A tall blonde chick in a green Da Kine Rags suit. COOL!
Thanks, by the way. That made me feel good. I live daily telling myself, it's OK that you made only 60 jumps in your first year, etc. etc. I just have to be fair with myself, you know? My biggest thing with Quincy is this (like you mentioned) LOOK FOR OTHER CANOPIES UPON OPENING! This is one of my main biggies. My hang-up has always been canopy control! :)Listen! If I am doing RW (oooh, help us! hehe) I will have on my Factory Diver and it says Freaksister on it. Please say hi and let's have a beer together later! :D
Sis

I'm not crazy because I take the right pills everyday.