freeflir29

Thinking of Flying again

I havent flown an airplane as PIC since 1993. The government owes me $14,000 for my GI Bill. I feel like I am wasting my time when I take "regular" college courses. My brothers instructional ratings have expired and my Dad is 68 so he is retired.
Who has some in's at a flight school here in Atlanta? Dutchboy, are you currently working on your stuff? I want to eat up that 14 grand getting some ratings. What advice does the peanut gallery have? Besides the fact that this will interfere with jumping...LOL
"Gonna need...some cream for ya ass"-Chef/South Park
Clay

I'm hoping that some time in the next couple months I'll have my CFI (maybe CFII too).
I would highly recommend the folks at Firefox Aviation in Cherokee County, but for the GI bill I think you need a part 141 school. There are a couple of local 141 schools at PDK and Fulton County.
If you see Mike G. down in Thomaston (the red head guy), you might talk to him. He just got out of the Army and is training to become a pilot right now.
Good luck to you. Up until March I hadn't logged any time since about 1994. I started flying again recently because my plane is almost done. After becoming unemployed again, I decided to pursue an aviation career.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

If that’s what you want to do, then GO FOR IT! I wanted to pursue an aviation career, but then I went and jumped out of a plane and it became a question of fly planes or jump out of them. Since I was short on cash I picked the latter, but if you’ve got the money and the desire, then why wouldn’t you do it? I only got as far as Private, SEL, and it’s been a few years, but I’d love to do it again. Oh, wait, you said it would interfere with jumping? Hmmmm, you’re on your own dude.
Josh
"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

Is flying what you really want to do - or are you considering it just to use the GI bill for something 'more useful'? Civilian flying is not a fun thing if you don't love to fly.. If you love to fly, by all means, it's the one of the best damn jobs in the world..
What is your flying background? Civilian or military? Ratings? Hours? Of course, you would need to do some recurrent training before you get into further ratings - but that shouldn't take too much..
Basically, when people ask me whether they should fly for a living or not, I ask 'em one question.. Do you love to fly? If so, do it.. If not, don't - you won't be happy..
Mike

because my plane is almost done

What kind of plane you getting/making?? Is it an "experimental"??

If you love to fly, by all means, it's the one of the best damn jobs in the world

*SIGH* I wish I would have gone into aviation when I was fresh out of H.S. I have been thinking lately that when I get my pilot license, I would just try and try to get as much flight time as I could and eventually become a pilot. I have always loved flying with my grandpa since I was about six years old. I still love it today. It was stupid of me to not go into something that I knew I would love.
I am 21, will get my B.A. in Spanish Education in one year. Do you think if I started teaching and flying I would one day have the chance to fly commercially (cargo/airline/corporate:)--------------
Drop on in...leave a message

I'm building a Zenith Super Zodiac 601HDS http://www.zenithair.com. It is a 2-seat, all metal, low wing aircraft. It is supposed to cruise at 135 mph while burning about 4-5 gph. October 1st it will be 5 years that I've been working on this baby. Hoping to have it in the air about then. Also hoping to have my flight instructor license by then.
Several years ago, I got my Biennal Flight Review from my 2nd cousin who was a high school physics teacher. He also taught people how to fly part time, mostly in the summer. This allowed him to build hours.
The big guys want hours, but not just any hours, they tend to want multi-engine, instrument, and cross country hours. Teaching others how to fly will get you the last two, the multi-engine is much harder to get (more $$ to buy yourself). 100 hrs of multi-engine time costs about the same as 250 hours in 2-seaters.
If you want something bad enough, you just might get it.
The Dutchboy

I am 21, will get my B.A. in Spanish Education in one year. Do you think if I started teaching and flying I would one day have the chance to fly commercially (cargo/airline/corporate)?? *sigh*

If it's something your really interested in, go for it.. There are a lot of people that make career changes at 40-50 years old and go into aviation.. I knew what I wanted to do from the beginning.. I've always wanted to fly.. I'm 25, have an Airline Transport Pilot certificate with 4 type ratings, all fixed wing instructor ratings, over 5,000 hours of flight time(broke 5k about 3 weeks ago), and I'm a Captain on a business jet.. I've been PIC for most of my flight time - only about 350 hours of SIC time, all in Learjets.. I've been a jet Captain for about 2 years.. I was a turboprop Captain for 2 years before that.. I hope to go to a major airline in the very near future..
If I can do all that by 25, it's sure as hell not too late for you to start at 21 - or even at 30 for that matter! Hell, if you waited until you were 40 to start flying you could still have a fairly long career in aviation.. If you want to do it, don't hesitate - do it!
On the bright side, at least you'll have a BA degree.....I only have a BS degree....but, I'm sure as hell good at the BS part! ;) Actually, working on my MBA right now.. Probably about another year..
Mike

The big guys want hours, but not just any hours, they tend to want multi-engine, instrument, and cross country hours. Teaching others how to fly will get you the last two, the multi-engine is much harder to get (more $$ to buy yourself). 100 hrs of multi-engine time costs about the same as 250 hours in 2-seaters.

True, but a lot of the regionals have minimums hovering around 500TT and 100ME right now.. Many are hiring people with times around that.. A friend of mine went through training at ASA about 6 months ago, and he was the highest time - BY FAR - in his class.. He had a whopping 1100 hours, and 150ME.. I think the next person had something like 700 hours, with the average falling at about 550.. ASA's mins are 350TT, but I don't know what their ME requirement is..
In a way, it kinda scares me.. I got on an RJ one day with a 500 hour FO and a 2000 hour Capt.. My normal FO and I have over 9500 hours between us.....and we're still fairly low timers.. Ok, I can deal with 500 hour FO's in RJ's as long as the Captain is fairly experienced, but at 2000 hours(and likely very little if any real PIC experience), I don't feel anybody is ready to command a jet with up to 53 people(50 pax, 3 crew) onboard.. I would go to a regional if I could hire in as a Capt and make what I'm making now.. A 3rd year RJ Capt makes less than half what I do - and that's not much..
Mike

OR... you can find a nice twin engine DZ that is looking to train a few pilots. Might get by flying for free. I know a few people who are doing this right now. They dont get paid to fly like the rest of the pilots but you cant beat having free twin engine time offered to you. Plus if you have your commercial multiengine rating and a few hundered muliti-turbine hours the airline love to snatch you up.
PS... Twin Otters and CASA's are the perfered experience from what everyone says.
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

I'm building a Zenith Super Zodiac 601HDS

COOL! I’ve been torn between the Zodiac and a Kitfox. Of course both are a long way off for me but I’ve been leaning toward the Kitfox because I picture myself fishing off the floats up on the billions of lakes on the MN, Canada border (ya gotta have the floats :)Josh
"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

OR... you can find a nice twin engine DZ that is looking to train a few pilots. Might get by flying for free. I know a few people who are doing this right now. They dont get paid to fly like the rest of the pilots but you cant beat having free twin engine time offered to you. Plus if you have your commercial multiengine rating and a few hundered muliti-turbine hours the airline love to snatch you up.
PS... Twin Otters and CASA's are the perfered experience from what everyone says.

Yeah, there are a couple of guys at the DZ who do that. I think that if this becomes a reality, I will probably start contacting DZs around the area (especially Richmond and SGC) and find out if I can get on the "program". Seems like all I have thought about for the past 6 months was skydiving and being a pilot. *sigh*
One of these days.....
--------------

I was looking at the Avid Flyer for a long time, but decided on the Zodiac because hangars are hard to get and expensive around Atlanta. I'll make back the difference in cost of the two planes in about a year by tying it down instead of hangaring it.
I'd recommend you get a copy of the AeroCrafter handbook. It has info on hundreds of homebuilts. Decide what you want your plane to do and go from there.
The Zodiac should be great for cross-country. 700 lbs useful load, 600 lbs payload, decent cruise, and plenty of baggage space.
The Dutchboy

Aviattr- I've just got my 40 hrs but never took the written exam for the private. Chalk that up to being young and stupid. I had that at 17 years old but then I joined the Air Force and didnt have time to fly. Kind of ironic isnt it. Join the Air Force and stop flying. LOL I was too busy jumping out of them and learning how to keep those wonderful fighter pilots of worldwide militaries from dropping bombs where they shouldn't.
I grew up around aviation as my Dad was a commercial pilot for Delta for 38 years and a mechanic for 4 yrs before that. Most of the friends I had growing up had parents in the industry so it's just been a part of my life. I'm a computer geek now and it's just hard to see myself sitting at a desk for the next 20 years. Sort of a big change from playing Rambo in the military. I can't let the government keep my 14 K and it's the most useful thing I can think of to get my money back. The thing that kills me is the salaries that starting pilots make. It's quite often MUCH less than I make now. Especially at the regionals. It's appalling what some of these guys are getting paid to bust their ass 16 hrs a day. I guess I just have to look at where my Dad was his last 5-10 years that he flew. He only flew to Germany and it was usually not more than twice a month. About 6 days a month making $250,000 a year aint too bad.
Clay

I dont think i'll be getting my license till 2003, but once I do, I'll get a plane and then try and fly by ass off. I was thinking about the Van's RV series planes. Any thoughts on this?? I know they are taildraggers (most).
If any one here has flown one, please give me what type you flew (6, 6A, 8, 8A, 4, 4A, etc) and what you liked/disliked about it.
--------------

RV's are good planes. I know several people who are building then. I know a lot less that have finished one. They are lots of work. Nice plane when you are done though.
You should honestly ask yourself how much time you have for such a project. I'm coming up on 5 years building a very simple airplane.
The Dutchboy

You should honestly ask yourself how much time you have for such a project. I'm coming up on 5 years building a very simple airplane.

If I get the chance to buy a plane like this, I will not build it...I'll buy a used one. There NO WAY I would have the time (nor patience) to put on together. I have found a lot of cool, used planes on http://www.trade-a-plane.com. They have tons of cool stuff, but I'm sure you know that.
Good luck getting yours finished, bro!! :)--------------

Aviattr- I've just got my 40 hrs but never took the written exam for the private.

Assuming you meet all the private flight time minimums, you will need AT LEAST 10 hours of dual.. I think 10 hours is the requirement "in preparation for checkride".. It may be a bit more or less - I haven't taught primary in many years, and the requirements have changed since then.. Find some local schools(I think it'll have to be Part 141 to take a GI Bill) and talk to them about Pro Pilot courses.. When it's time for your CFI, I suggest going to ALL ATP's(www.allatps.com) and get your Multi-CFI and CFII with them - I think they charge about $2,000.. You could then get your Single CFI with them, or go elsewhere..

The thing that kills me is the salaries that starting pilots make. It's quite often MUCH less than I make now. Especially at the regionals. It's appalling what some of these guys are getting paid to bust their ass 16 hrs a day.

Yea, it's really sad.. That's why I never went to the regionals.. I went the cargo/corporate route.. I'm now a Captain for a fractional ownership, work every other week, fly nice equipment(Hawker 800), and make decent money.. If I had been at the regionals for the past 4 years, I wouldn't make what I do now.. It's not just the beginning salaries that are pathetic there.. The major airlines are where the good money is.. Delta is my airline of choice, but they have stopped hiring for now.. I've got a letter of rec there, so hopefully when they resume interviewing I'll get the call..

I'm a computer geek now and it's just hard to see myself sitting at a desk for the next 20 years.

As far as I'm concerned, there could be no worse punishment.. I can't stand sitting at a desk.. Kinda funny, I can sit in a cockpit for 5-6 hours no problem, but I can't sit at a desk for more than an hour without going nuts..
Mike

"Assuming you meet all the private flight time minimums"
Trust me. My brother was my instructor so I will meet all the requirements....LOL. I just have to figure out what all the new requirements are........I'm sure I'll get quite a few hours in before I'm ready for a checkride anyway.
Clay

If any one here has flown one, please give me what type you flew (6, 6A, 8, 8A, 4, 4A, etc) and what you liked/disliked about it.

I have flown the 4, 6, 6A, and 8.. The 4 was a very fun airplane.. The one have time in has a 180hp with a constant speed prop.. The airplane handles recreational aerobatics very well, but you have to be careful - the potential is there to overstress this airplane fairly easily.. It is very reponsive to control inputs, and sometimes I get a bit overzealous during aerobatics.. It was kinda strange flying a tandem seat airplane from the front while solo, however.. Baggage space was severely limited..
The 6/6A is a nice airplane, but not quite as sporty as the 4.. Maybe it had something to do with the side-by-side rather than tandem seating configuration.. I didn't care for the side by side in this airplane.. The 6 had a 180hp fixed pitch, and the 6A had a 160hp fixed pitch.. Baggage space was decent for a 2 seater - but the weight limitation is still pretty low.. I did not like the tricycle gear(6A) on an RV - it just didn't seem natural.. Many people that don't fly taildraggers love the 6A, but I, personally, would go with a straight 6..
The 8....well, what can I say, other than I love that airplane.. Back to the good 'ole tandem seating, conventional gear.. The 8 I flew(I did the maiden test flights on that airplane, and the initial 50 hours) has a 200hp constant speed.. Awesome airplane.. It's nice to have two baggage areas(even though the front area is pretty damn small).. Performance is quite impressive on this airplane.. I don't think I would have liked the tricycle gear version(8A) on this airplane.. Visibility in the 8 is great, to say the least..
Overall, I would say I liked the 8 the best.. I feel that it's the best mix of a sport/cross country airplane.. Only having 2 seats is somewhat limiting, but many kitplanes are only 2 seaters.. The 8 is still fairly new, so not a whole lot are flying.. I think somewhere in the vicinity of 150 airplanes.. There are 10+ times that many RV8 kits out there..
Mike

"Delta is my airline of choice"
Good company still but not anything like it used to be in the "Good Old Days" Of course I dont think any airlines are what they used to be. My Dad retired in 93 and was pretty glad he got out when he did. Very shortly, like 1 yr or so, after my Dad retired they started forcing people to retire or take huge cuts in pay. I did have to laugh when the guy I'm reffering to gave them the finger and started flying for Thai Airways "under the table" while still collecting his pension from Delta. Ya cant let the man hold you down!
Clay

"This is the only airliner that has lost my baggage in all my flying"
Thats funny. I have been flying on Delta all my life. Well...OK mostly cause it was free but still. I have only had them lose my luggage once. Of course, all they lost was my $1500 rifle when I was on a trip to my parents house in Montana. To go hunting! It was Ok though as they had it to me by 0500 the next morning. My Mom has flown Northwest twice in the last 30 days and they have lost her luggage both times. Go figure. I really think it's just luck most of the time.
Clay

My Mom has flown Northwest twice in the last 30 days and they have lost her luggage both times

OUCH!! That really sucks. I dont have anything against Delta for sure, because they had me the luggage at 11:30pm that night and then 6:00am the next morning. So, there surely isn't any reason I wouldn't fly them again.
I think it just depends on which person at the baggage transport is moving your luggage and what kind of day he has had.
--------------