NathanL100

BASE Jumping

I was talking to a couple of my dropzone buddies this weekend and the subject of BASE jumping came up. I think that it looks like a lot of fun and one hell of a rush, but a lot of people think that it is too dangerous. So what do you guys think, if you're smart and careful about BASE jumping is it as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be?
B|-Will Skydive for BEER!!!-B|
Nathan

Experienced BASE-ers, correct me if I'm wrong here. But my take is that it is dangerous, but not for the reasons most whuffos think. The big dangers are off-heading openings (the better to crash into a building/cliff and collapse your canopy) and small, tight, nonoptimal landing areas (the better to break you ankle/leg(s)).
That said, I still wanna do it. :S
"Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control. Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper."

first of all i must say that my sympathy goes out to those affected by 9/11... so i can preface my need to just say: It blows chunks that Bridge Day was cancelled.
I've made 1 base jump, at BD last year. and I loved it. i almost ordered base gear after that 1 jump, but it's hard to justify with not really having anyone to base with, and many great things to base off of in ohio... but i think i might go ahead and get base gear this winter...
The jump, was incredible. Talk about ground rush, holy shit, and the new river bridge is high compared to many base spots... i have over 400 skydives, and that one base jump was like a first skydive all over again, it was the adrenaline rush of escaping death in less than 8 seconds...
after all, skydiving in the beginning is all about the rush, but then when you really become a skydiver, it becomes a sport, not just a thrill, and there's a different kind of satisfaction. I'm not sure if base jumping loses it's edge after dozens of jumps like skydiving does, and i'm not sure if there's sport in it at that point either, other than the IPBC style & accuracy competition at BD... but i loved the jump...and will base jump again.
as for danger, sure, it's dangerous, you need to know what the hell you're doing, and have safe gear. it's not like you can bank on your jumpmasters at the dz either, becuase there are no jumpmasters in base, you are responsible for yourself.
probably the most dangerous thing to do is borrow gear... where've we heard that before
:)lew:S

>So what do you guys think, if you're smart and careful about
>BASE jumping is it as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be?
My best guess is that, if you apply the same care to BASE as to skydiving, you are between 20 and 50 times as likely to get killed on any given jump. If you are very "smart and careful" (i.e. packing 20 reserves before making your first BASE pack, buying the best gear out there, wearing good protective gear, jumping only very safe legal sites, and only when conditions are perfect) you can improve the odds greatly, but you then won't be as current (conditions are rarely perfect.) Of course, you could say the same thing about skydiving (i.e. doing only hop and pops in perfect conditions with a big triathalon, big reserve and a cypres, would give you much better odds.)
-bill von

not really having anyone to base with, and many great things to base off of in ohio...

lew,
i've always thought that huge bridge on I-71 going to cincinatti would be perfect as would alot of other places..... if i was back in ohio and had the time to learn to pack a base chute properly and could afford the gear i'd jump with ya...but alas, i'm stuck in germany........

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

I have never personally made a BASE, however my very good friend BASE jumps for a living, and yeah so he's not normal lol but none of us are really lol. base is way different from skydiving. In reality, we all know that skydiving is very very safe...the majority of deaths caused by skydiving is human error.....well I cause it on life, it's called living, you die, people die....and it's not trgic dying doing what you love. Anyways, that's another tangent lol I will try not to ramble. K well after you jump you have about 5 seconds under canopy before your at the ground, so hmmmm since alot of the openings are 90's you have to constantly be on the ball about things. IT IS dangerous....skydiving you can do for years and not get hurt...but base jumping you will get hurt, there isnt a normal landing area, and a little windsock for wind direction lol. Don't get me wrong I'll do it myself, even if it is once...although this feeling I get seems like I will thrive off the fear part I think I will enjoy it.
**BLUE ONES**
BITE ME.... :P

"the majority of deaths caused by skydiving is human error....."
Are you suggesting the deaths in BASE jumping are not human error then? I beleive the only reason for deaths in BASE is human error - Equipment failure is more likely to happen in a Skydiving environment beacuse of the complacency of skydivers. But then again this is human error i suppose.........
"In reality, we all know that skydiving is very very safe..."
Skydiving is more dangerous than what people think - BASE jumping is safer than what people think.
BSBD
PS) How do you BASE jump for a living???

Skydiving is more dangerous than what people think - BASE jumping is safer than what people think.

3, you can tell my girlfriend that! She can't wait for her AFF in December but sure as eggs, she doesn't want me to BASE!!
That'll put her off skydiving, but at least I get to BASE!!
B.

For BASE-gods in Florida,
There is a relatively high bridge in JAX over the St John River. If you've ever been to JAX you know the one I am talking about. Does anyone know if it has been based yet? Looks highly doable. Better yet, survivable.
flyhiB|

she doesn't want me to BASE!!
well dont tell her then!.............

ahhhh!!!! the basis of every good relationship.....
and of course, you can be 100% sure that it will never get out!!! after all, she'll be a skidiver once she finishes her AFF, and therefore she'll spend time at DZs... and we all know how tight lipped jumpers are.... LMAO
PS: Ben: if she isnt keen on BASE jumping, tell her she doent have to.. she can be the ground crew! lol
Remi
Muff 914

>I beleive the only reason for deaths in BASE is human error -
>Equipment failure is more likely to happen in a Skydiving environment beacuse of the complacency of skydivers.
I disagree with that. An off-heading opening can kill you on some BASE jumps. A parachute opening is an inherently chaotic event, and I've seen people like Anne Heliwell and Dennis McGlynn (who are about as good as they get) pack off-heading openings. You could claim that that's really human error, but using that logic, a double mal in skydiving is human error - the jumper should have had the intelligence to know that he was about to have a double mal (via inspection of the reserve etc.)
-bill von

Bill von - my first comment was to question the "most skydiving deaths are caused by human error" - I beleive most are caused by the equipment we jump. eg - RSL, AAD, Reserve - alot of deaths are caused by entanglements of the two parachute systems we jump in one container - either caused by the deployment by RSL's or AAD's - admitadly these are then compounded by human error but do you see my point - these bits of equipment do kill people.
I have never heard of a BASE jumper bouncing by a problem caused by a piece of equipment - only by equipment used incorrectly due to human error.
The skydiving rig has equipment which when used for its actual purpose can cause more problems than it is solving.
I am not the most clear person in text - I hope you understand my point.
BSBD

"The skydiving rig has equipment which when used for its actual purpose can cause more problems than it is solving."
Statistically speaking only, AAD's and RSL's save many more lives than they take. It's a personal choice (unless you are a student, which don't have enough education and experience to make an informed decision anyway) They also add certain factors that must be taken into consideration during emergency procedures. I choose to make everything manual on my rig(No RSL or AAD). Some would call that "Old School Thinking" I like having total control over my skydive. I don't want anything automatic or machine controlled. In certain situations this might kill me some day. Oh well, YA GOTTA DIE OF SOMETHING!
"The sky resembles a back lit canopy...with holes punched through it"- Incubus
Clay

I didn't mean to stir up the commotion...just trying to say that base isn't something to be taken lightly. And although skydiving is fun, we often tend to not think of it as something scarey, whereas base jumping, the longer someone is jumping, the scarier it is. There are so many different factors and not alot of time to correct them as well. and yes you can base for a living, he sells his footage, ut's sick some of the stuff he can do, when some people go hand held he jumps doing double gainers stowed....its life though...and hes living it how he wants to so more power to him
**BLUE ONES**
BITE ME.... :P

>>when some people go hand held he jumps doing double gainers stowed....>>
Have you checked out Dwain Weston - double gainer from under 200ft.................. now thats perfecting an intrinsically difficult sport.........
BSBD
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
Bob Dylan