Jabeln79

Superstitions!!!!!!!!

Jabeln79> Anyone superstitious.......
Not me.
I usually wear the same helmet, jumpsuit, rig and altimeter, but that's merely out of practical considerations. These things simply fit me best (or, in the case of the altimeter, I like the color best). I will jump with other suits, rigs etc. if "mine" are not available, as long as I feel comfortable enough with the "replacement(s)".
I always thoroughly check my (rental) rig before the first jump of the day, briefly check it before every next jump, check my altimeter during the plane ride and touch all my handles just before jump run. But I consider this common sense rather than superstition.
Oh and btw, before you ask: no, I'm not religious.
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

I used to be but I gave it up. ;)
About the closest I come to any sort of superstitious habit is wishing folks good luck/good jumps when we hit jump run. More of a good vibes thing.
It's really all about being mentally prepared. If doing some routine makes you more at ease mentally, I think you will be more apt to have a good/safe jump than if you don't.
Of course there's a down side. If, for whatever reason, you don't, or can't do your little thing, you'll get stressed out and start thinking of all the bad things that can happen. This, of course, makes the occurrence of the bad thing more likely because your mind has a remarkable ability to make whatever it's thinking of come to fruition. The old self-fulfilling prophesy thing.
Quite frankly, I think that's why bad things happen when people forget to wear their lucky rubber band or whatever. They're so focused on the fact that it isn't there, and all the bad things that can happen, that they aren't devoting their full attention to the task at hand.
Just my $0.02.
"Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control. Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper."

When I was a student I refused to jump rig #5. Not really sure why, i was just convinced if i jumped it something bad would happen.
I also had to wear my St. Christopher necklace when I jumped. About a year ago the necklace broke during a jump so I had to jump without it. I was freaking out, but I jumped and I survived! :)Now the only thing I don't like is load #13.
There once was a clown named Krusty ~ Enis

It’s also the shoes for me,
Felt a little nervous when last years shoes wore out and had to jump with a new pair. After the first jump though, they were now my new “lucky jump shoes.” Been with me while falling fast from 13K so they’re initiated.
-Larry

I never really thought about it before but I've always worn the same sneakers. I do know that they have one more jump than I have! A TM asked to borrow them while I was packing one day because his student had shown up in flimsy sandals that would have fallen off in freefall. I think they had a good time without me.
Skies,
D :P

I won't get on first load of the day

:DYou sound like a slack-ass Raeford jumper!:D
It makes me nuts when I have to wait until like 10:00 am on a sunny day to get the first Otter load up.
As far as my habits go, I am ALWAYS checking my legstraps and chest strap. Legstraps, because it is very critical that they be exactly the same tightness when jumping a main as small as mine. Chest-strap because I don't want to fall out of my rig. I also touch all of my handles, rotate my three-rings, and feel my main lift webs for twists at least three times prior to exit. Just habit, not superstition.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

My 1st AFF jump, I found myself saying a prayer:
"Lord please protect us and give us all good, clean opens and see us safely back to the ground. Please protect our pilot, who is risking his life so that we may know your glory through freefall and see him (or her) safely back to the ground. Should that not be your design, should today be the day that one us meets our judgement, please know that we are truly sorry for our sins and thankful for the life that we have been given and pray that we be granted entrance into heaven so that we know your glory for eternity with You, and your son Jesis Christ, who died so that our sins may be forgiven. With all our heart and soul we love you."
I said it (unplanned) on AFF Level 1, and have said it every jump since...........

I had a closing pin necklace I bought to celebrate my graduating AFF, and I never took that thing off -- it was with me on every jump from first solo on.
Well, the thong broke, and I lost it, and I was actually NERVOUS my first jump without it. I even asked the gear store of the DZ was jumping if they had any so I could buy one.
Of course, everything was fine without it. :P
http://alexthedestroyer.50megs.com

During one of my PRCP's, when I was scooting up to the 'next jumper' position, I realized that my handle was lying in the back corner of the plane.
Ever since then, I check my handles at least 100 times before jumping. I wouldn't call it superstitious, but 'paranoid' might fit.
I do try and grab the same helmet each time, but thats just because it's the most comfortable.
Hmm... spring can't come soon enough for me.

I've always kept superstitions in the back of my head just a little bit. Worry a little about not doing this in the right order or having to wear the same suit etc..... But on my 13 skydive, I did it from 13000 feet on Friday the 13th. After that day, superstitions weren't that meaningful anymore....

Excellent prayer Tom! I have to say that on my 5th, 6th & 7th jumps, i did say a prayer. Just to make sure that everyone on the plane is safe...jumps safely, and lands safely. Oddly enuff, I did NOT say a prayer on my 8th jump and I ended up in ER. Prayers will always be the first thing I do before, during & after he jump from now on!

How exactly did you find the same helmet? There's about 10 different blue ones. Did you just rig the chin strap so no other students could make it tighter? For those of you who don't know Joe, he amazes me. His chin strap is danglin about two inches and his helmet never falls off. My luck is never that good with goggles & helmets.!
As far as superstitions, I consider my tweety tatoo to be my one piece of luck for those knee slide landings.
Blue skies~ Tina