flyinryan

USBA (Beer related)

So do any other DZ's have a USBA (United States Beer Association)? At our DZ these are the folks who "enforce" the beer board. As far as I can tell it was started at our DZ by one of our old school jumpers. So is this really a nation/world wide thing? And if not, should it be?

what do you mean by a "beer board?" If There Are Folks At Your DZ Who Inforce the FAA Rule Of No Open Container On The Drop Zone UntilThe Sunset Load, Trust Me, There Doing The Right Thing. The FAA Emphasizes No Open Containers On The Drop Zones During Jumping Hours. (USPA Afilliated Drop Zones Anyway) They Even Require That A Sign Be Posted Stating There REGS. Think About It, Do You Want To "Jump, And Drink?" Or Jump With Others Who Have Been Drinking? Do You Think It Really Goes On? Sobering Questions, For A Sober Sport, Until The Sunset Load! Our DZO Will Announce Over The P.A. When To Start Cracking Tops. Stay Sober While Jumping, Don't Jump With Anyone Who Has Been Drinking, And Stay Safe!
Blue Skies, Black Death!
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I personally haven't heard of USBA before. I have seen plenty of beer boards. Merely a list of people that owe beer, what offense prompted it, the date, etc. Believe it or not some people don't like to pay up for beerable offenses. This sometimes causes a shortage of free beer in the fridge. We all know how bad that sucks!
Que hermana pinocha gratis?-Clay

i'm not going to belabor the point. but i'm dissmayed at your response. this jumper asked a legitimate question. and all we can do for him/her is associate our sport with alcholism, and beer drinking. sorry we've degraded to that point.
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

Usually the people who want more beer are too drunk to remember who brought what beer. Also an important note...I dont drink and this didnt occur to me but I brought the beer to the dz one day and by sunset it was vanquished by those who were not even jumping with me at the time of sed offenses. So .... hide the beer and give it to those who deserve it. Also did you do your whole post and capitalize the first letter of every word? Does that mean you are emphasizing the first syllibal of every word?
Johnny
me

i'm not going to belabor the point. but i'm dissmayed at your response. this jumper asked a legitimate question. and all we can do for him/her is associate our sport with alcholism, and beer drinking. sorry we've degraded to that point.

Dude, you missed the point. I'm pretty sure he was referring to people who enforce the idea that those who owe beer actually pay up. Many dropzones have a board in a rather conspicious place which lists beer offenses, who made them, and whether or not they've paid up.

I know at all the DZ's I have been to everyone always finishes the day off with a nice round of milk and cookies followed by a rousing rendition of Coom-By-Ya (SP?) :D Is someone trying to say that skydiving is associated with the use of such dangerous drugs as alcohol. You know what kind of debauchery that can lead to.........;)
Que hermana pinocha gratis?-Clay

Hi, Richard. Don't be dismayed at the lack of responses. I think that no-one should ever drink and jump, either. The Bomb Shelter, though, at Perris serves all day, and any and all alcohol must be consumed on the patio. However, there are many eyes there, as well, and we all watch out for each other. And Jack Gamley, the S&TA, has eyes in the back of his head. I have seen him spot a drinker from the other side of the runway, walk directly over, and get the errent drinker back to the patio.
HOWEVER, Richard, that's not how I read the original post. It wasn't about Beer drinking enforcement, as in not drinking and jumping, but rather, enforcing beers owed "policies".
As to the original post:

So do any other DZ's have a USBA (United States Beer Association)?

Well, I ran a search, and nothing came up. If there is one, they're too busy taste-testing to create a website...

At our DZ these are the folks who "enforce" the beer board.

How do they do this? Check which beers are drunk, or whose paid the beers they owe, or who owes beer? Is there a "small, foreign faction" who has created the super secret, men-in-black beer police? And if you get cited, do you owe more beer? And is there an unacceptable beer confiscation quota (quite possibly a scam, there...they might just take them "out back" and drink them, calling them unacceptable....). And what do their badges look like? A shiny beer bottle?

So is this really a nation/world wide thing?

Not that I can tell......

And if not, should it be?

Nah........more regulation is not needed.....
;););)
Ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

we dont have one dont need it everyone nows when somebody owes beer i rember a long time ago now i landed on my last student jump and my fiirst thought "holy fuck look at all those ppl down there, shit they are all clapping, oh my god im a hero they are chanting ben ben ben ben, Getting closer, oh wait its not ben its beer" I landed in the middle of the peas on a sunset/night jump and the first thing ppl said was RING THE BELLLLLLL
i live my life 14000 ft at a time, nothen else matters, in that 60 seconds or less im free

no, not all alcholics go to meetings. i'm an alcholic, and i don't go to meetings. once an alcholic, always an alcholic. i'll be in recovery for the rest of my life. i haven't drank in over 7 years, and i (personal view/opinion) don't think that beverages of this type and nature should be banned from dz's. i know i'm gonna catch some heat for that, but that's my opinion, that's all. (and i should be allowed that, shouldn't i?)
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

My skydiving club does not have a beer problem everyone after a certain point -first jump, first freefall jump, 100th jump etc.- brings to the usual Tuesday club meeeting THE BEER.
OK girls have to bake pan cakes. Two weeks ago two rookie girls brought at least a hundred pan cakes and a guy a lot of beers it was a good party that is why I am advertising the sport to everyone.
Oh we have another system do you have it in US/CDN/UK/World after for example the first jump (than first frefall, 100th, 200th) everyone in the club who has more jumps than you, smack your ass.
UNFORTUNATELY ONLY MALES GET BEATEN UP
After having 100 jumps anybody more experienced who has more than 100 jumps smacks you. (He can smack you as many times as his jump numer can be divided by 100, anybody having 2000 jumps smacks you 20 times THAT'S HURTS)

After having 100 jumps anybody more experienced who has more than 100 jumps smacks you. (He can smack you as many times as his jump numer can be divided by 100, anybody having 2000 jumps smacks you 20 times THAT'S HURTS)

You think maybe there are some people there who really don't care that much about skydiving, they just like celebrating?
flyhiB|

I know at all the DZ's I have been to everyone always finishes the day off with a nice round of milk and cookies followed by a rousing rendition of Coom-By-Ya (SP?)

Come on, Clay. We all know you are lactose intolerant, and can't even partake of the milk. We feel bad for ya, but such is life! :)Justin
My Homepage

Yeah, I ment people who enforce the beer board as in owing beer. But they do more too, they control the board and make sure you get caught whenever you do a first (it's all good natured ofcourse). I just think it is a really clever play on USPA....but that is just me.

You're right! We have people usually who made a few jumps or may have gotten off student status showing up on a regular basis as soon as the sun goes down. With CDT now in effect, they are partying hard by 5:30. But that's ok. They don't bother me and they do liven up the place when they jump naked over the bonfire!!!
B|Gemini
Co Van My Tuong Huu Dong Nam A

"i (personal view/opinion) don't think that beverages of this type and nature should be banned from dz's"
Clay,
I think he is saying they should not be banned. Do you think they should?
Skydiving with no beer in the evening is like going to a dry New Years party. Sure you can do it, but why?
-Larry

The beer rules go back to generations I was too young to know, but if it aint broke don't fix it. The beer rules are like pieing. They are set in place as a celebration. Some also use them as a good natured way to enforces some safety rules..like beer lines in the landing area. If Your name is on a board somewhere it means you've got at least one "jump story."
When I have a reserve save I always ask for a half gallon. Then I let them know I like "moosetracks, turtletracks, or hog heaven."
jumpervali