fred

Not Jumping at Eloy

Well, my parents are retired and "wintering" in Casa Grande, about 15 minutes away from Eloy. I'm going to be heading out to visit them from Jan 30-Feb 5, and I was thinking about stopping by.
Is that sad? I can't jump, seeing as I don't yet have my A license, and I don't have any money. But I think I'd like to see the planes and find out what a large dropzone looks like.
Is there anything else I should check out while I'm in the area? Is there a windtunnel in AZ or is the closest one in Vegas? Does anybody want to show me around the dz that weekend?

whoa, your parents chose Casa Grande of all places???
and what do you mean you won't have your A license?? you have until Jan 30, get your shit together! even if you don't jump anyway, what an opportunity. i just got back from Eloy's Holiday Boogie which kicked ass.
You should check out Coolidge too. not the town, though, Mullin's place, try http://www.arizonaskydiving.com/ Otherwise, there's nothing else to check out around there. well, unless you count the "ruins" or Phoenix or Tuscon, or those mountains.
the closest tunnel is vegas, and it's not worth the trip.
get your license, then jumping is cheap, especially at Mullins place. For a 7 minute ride to 14,000.... c'mon, get off the computer right now and go get licensed.
:)lew:S

Definately push for your A license!!
I was in a similiar situation last year,, family in Tucson, Phoenix, and gonna visit for Christmas,, barely got the 20 in, tested and mailed in the app before leaving,, USPA,, the gal that does the licensing,, can't remember her name now but,, even tho she had a bad cold,, piles of shit everywhere,, a Friday afternoon right before Christmas,, dug through the mess till she found my app and then faxed a note to me letting the DZ's know that I was an A license holder on official USPA letterhead,, that and my log book was my ticket,, Eloy was intimidating to me with so few jumps,, but was worth the look and folks were friendly,, yea Coolidge ya might enjoy more,, smaller facility but Mike Mullins King Air would b treat for ya ta jump outta!!
Good luck and Blue Skies!!

fyi - there's a nice holiday inn, about $70/night, but you can get 2 nights for the price of 1 by printing this coupon: http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/holiday-inn?_template=night_free.html
don't try wihtout a good printout, they're kinda stingy about that...
and uhum, watch out, there are plenty of cops in that small town.
don't let SkydiveAZ intimidate you as a newbie, everyone there is VERY friendly and cool. even some of the coolidge gang goes to the Bent Prop at night. The Bent Prop is a restaurant/Bar right on the Dropzone, man that place has everything. especially nice weather...
why are you still reading this, go get your license!
peace
:)lew:S

Hey Fred!
I know your home DZ is snowed in and you won't be able to get an A license before you go to Eloy. But, if you take your log book you may get them to at least let you do a hop & pop or even a static line. Give them the phone number for GL (1-800-351-6617, I think) Have them call Denny.
A jump is a jump, you will be one of the few Michiganders in the air in January/February!
Milo

Thanks lewmonst!
I get out to Eloy a couple times a year am really jazzed that you posted this coupon! They don't give skydiver discounts unless the DZ makes special arrangements ahead of time. And that -usually- is for World Meets only they do this.
:^)
ltdiver

Well, I talked with Eloy, and they're going to let me do an ASP level 3 jump after a $25 transition/refresher course. 13,000ft here I come!
They've suggested that I could go on and do the rest of the ASP program and even finish it in a day. Anybody want to give me a couple hundred so I can do that?
I was very happy with their customer service. I sent them mail describing my experience and asked for their recommendations. Birgitte asked me a few more questions about my training, and then laid out all the details. She was very friendly.

Freeflir, you're statement bothered me. Am I missing subtexts?
I guess I better ask the outright question. I can trust Skydive Arizona, right? They're not going to put me in an unsafe situation?
I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I'm definately a student with a lot to learn, and a lot of my confidence hasn't been tested. I realize that I didn't ask Skydive AZ any of the questions that I would want to know if I was actually switching dropzones. I figure they know what they're doing. Is this right? Or, a better question, is there anything in particular I should watch for when doing an ASP level 3 jump at Skydive Arizona? Especially considering I'm used to a SL program at a small dropzone here in Michigan?
They're giving me transitional training, but I wouldn't mind any tips for exiting or landing at a crowded dropzone.

I guess I better ask the outright question. I can trust Skydive Arizona, right? They're not going to put me in an unsafe situation?

If you're talking about the discussion that was on a different thread, Clay wasn't referring to Skydive Arizona.
In fact, the dz he WAS talking about is a safe dz. Freak accidents happen. The people who may or may not have been responsible aren't there anymore. So the warning is moot.
Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

Hey fred, not to change subjects but what DZ in MIch do you jump at.

Lowell is just east of Grand Rapids, where I live. I jump at Great Lakes Skydiving, just west of Kalamazoo. They have bad things to say about the student equipment and training at Hastings, so I probably won't go there until I have my own equipment and license. At that point, I may go more often, since they've got bigger planes.
NOW: The big news.
I always thought my parents were pretty unsupportive of my newfound skydiving love, and it turns out I'm very mistaken.
Yes, folks, my Dad is going to do a tandem. He's in his mid to late 50's, and in excellent physical condition, so he'll do fine. He's afraid of heights, but so am I. I'm very excited. I hope that I'll be able to ride up to altitude with him. Tandem's jump before ASP, right? I very much want to see the look on his face when he stares out that door at 13k.
It's also likely that I will be completing the ASP program when I'm there. I'll be doing it on borrowed money, but it'll be so worth it!

They have bad things to say about the student equipment and training at Hastings

Bah... every DZ has something bad to say about every other DZ. The amount of bad stuff seems inversely proportional to how far away the said rival DZ is.
Go there yourself, check the place out. Look at the gear, talk to the people, see if you can take an observation ride in the plane and watch how they handle students.
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag

I've heard that Mike Mullins's King Air has been down with a blown engine since the sixth--no call yet as to when he will be up and running. I heard this today from Bob Sinclar at Eloy--he normally resides/jumps at Coolidge in the winter.
Dave Brownell

"Bah... every DZ has something bad to say about every other DZ"
Not always...I'm the first one to say that all the other DZ's in Georgia except...THAT ONE.....are just great. There are things like aircraft and wide open landing area that I just happen to like more about SD Atlanta. Plus....hey those people are my friends...I spend way too much time there...LOL
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay