LittleJumper

My First Solo!!

I am sooo excited!! Just did my first solo jump today! It wasnt perfect by no means...didnt expect that. I was last on the load...counted to six after the jumpers before me...then prepared myself for a head dive. I think the count to 6 kind of messed me up a bit...i tumbled....BUT I SAW THE PLANE!! I was feeling a little nervous cuz i was the only one there! No one to tell me what to do...no one to pull my chute if need be. But all fears aside...i had a BLAST!!
Now i owe 2 cases of beer....didnt pay up for the last first!!
What you "think" you cannot do ...you CAN if you "think" about it ;)

"i was the only one there! No one to tell me what to do...no one to pull my chute if need be"
"Ain't it cool..."-John Travolta/Broken Arrow
Congrats...Now catch up on that beer thing. I'm sure everyone at the DZ is thirsty! :)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

actually its "Ya, Ain't it cool" that was his answer to Christian Slayters line which was "Deke your mind has taken a walk off the map" :)did i mention i have 190+ movies and i don't have a life?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

Congrats again, Terry! You were just *beaming* after your jump, so I know you had an awesome time!! Now the fun really begins...you have so many cool "firsts" ahead of you in the coming months....hop 'n pop (beer)...2-way(beer)...tube exit(beer)....sit-fly train (beer)...3-way (beer)... :D Btw, I am so glad that we finally met, and I look forward to when we can jump together!
blue skies, cool rides,
Karen

Congrats on your first solo! I remember mine... that's when I finally realized why people liked to skydive. Up to that point I wasn't that psyched b/c it was always stressful.
You mentioned that you counted to 6 before exiting - which is probably what the other jumpers told you to do based on current conditions. I did the same thing when I first started doing solos... nobody told me to watch the jumpers leave the plane... I basically was doing a '1,2,3,4,5 GO' because I was so nervous. It wasn't untiil I almost joined another group's skydive that I began to question this method and took it upon myself to learn how other jumpers were calculating 5-6 seconds.
To my surprise - many people didn't have an answer. They just said what other people told them... and stuck with that even after hundreds of jumps.
The most important thing I've learned is to watch the group in front of you until they have a 45 degree angle of separation. This saved me big time once when the count was '4 seconds' with a hybrid dive before me. For some reason - they just fell straight down - no drift for about 10 seconds. If I wouldn't have watched them the entire time - I'd have jumped out right on top of them! That was scary because I had people telling me to go... the green light is on - get out!
So I guess my point is - just make sure you understand where the count comes from and please watch the group in front of you. And never exit unless you're ready!
Blue skies!
Deva

It was nice to meet you too Karen! I'm sure we'll be seeing each other more often, especially when the weather gets nicer. I'm hoping to get my A in the next couple of months...but all depends on funds. I'm looking forward to jumping with you guys too! That would be awesome.

Thanks Deva for the advice. I did look at the other jumpers the whole time, and as I can remember, they were at a 45 degree angle before i exited, at my "ready, set, GO" count. But I will keep that in mind. Thanks again!

MsDeva wrote:
The most important thing I've learned is to watch the group in front of you until they have a 45 degree angle of separation. This saved me big time once when the count was '4 seconds' with ahybrid dive before me. For some reason - they just fell straight down - no drift for about 10seconds. If I wouldn't have watched them the entire time - I'd have jumped out right on top of them! That was scary because I had people telling me to go... the green light is on - get out!"
Which is very important to pay attention to. Think about what could happen if someone in the group before you had a premature deployment at say 7000 feet and you were right on top of them?

I was much less nervous on my first solo than during AFF, b/c no one was there to evaluate me. I could just go & hang out in the sky & relax.
Little Jumper, you'll probably do a few solos now that you're just starting. Get out there & feel the wind. Try arching harder & de-arching & notice the difference. When you de-arch (raise your butt a little & cup your body against the wind) you will notice that the wind resistance feels stronger & gets a little louder, because you're slowing you descent rate & increasing the wind resistance. Try it out next time you jump!
Speed Racer
"My God! It's full of stars!"