NewGuy

Perspective

Yeah but you take any statistic in small #s and it looks bad. Yeah I agree this world is F$cked up to a piont, but all you can do is make the best out of it no matter how hard you have it!
When life hands you a lemon........Buy a case of Coronas!!!
jason

if you look at the statistics in the real numbers it still looks bad. I believe it is at least half of the world's popolulation (at least) that lives under the poverty line. If you ever look at America's consumption rate, compared to everyone elses, it is freakish. No, it is sad. I am NO environmentalist, but I did happen to go to a lecture last night with that exact topic. The only thing we can do is be responsible for our own actions and try to make a difference individually. It does add up. I listened to Julia Hill speak (lady in a redwood for two years), and she really had an impact on my views of the environment and how we treat people (all countries). One thing I learned.. If you are pointing the finger at someone else or some problem, just remember that there are three fingers pointing back at you. This is something that I never thought of, and will pay more attention to in the future. Be responsible for your own actions. Just my .02
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

If you are pointing the finger at someone else or some problem, just remember that there are three fingers pointing back at you.

Mental note: when pointing at someone be sure to use all 4 fingers;)
I'm just kidding Rose!!
But I agree with ya...take care of your own..and to thy own self be true!!!!!!!
Master Thespian - jason~:)

Mental note: when pointing at someone be sure to use all 4 fingers

Some cultures point with their tongue and consider it inpolite to use a finger/hand/etc to point...you could always try that ;)
"I said don't look Ethel, It was too late, she'd already been incensed... "

Oh sure statistics are skewable to say whatever you want them to say. And it didn't make me feel bad about being an American at all; I already know how lucky I am to live here.
What really gets me is the number of people who don't know how to read...
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

It didn't make me feel bad, although it looked like an attempt to. The world is seemingly starting to get pissed off at America's renewed patriotism, saying that we're out of line. The IOC has even started making comments about it and even started suggesting that this will be the last Olympics held in America. Thus, stuff that looks like it is trying to attack my love for my country sorta upsets me...

I know that statistics are not trustworthy, but I have seen masses of statistics like this one. It sucks. There are problems, but who will fix them? Maybe I am just overworked from the lecture last night or the four tests I have taken this week on this crap, but I can't say my hopes are high for anything major changing in this world. I think we can try to do our own part, but how many will not? ugh....... too much international relations, political science, and economics talk this week for me. Lets talk about something fun. Someone exploit this thread!!!!!!!!!

/me exploiting the masses...er, ahh, this thread...
I hear ya, I've got 4 tests this week too, had one yesterday afternoon, after that I read literally 600pgs of Russian history text so I can do the take home exam due in the morning (i'm about to start work on it), so I can then study for my Engineering Technologies exam tomorrow afternoon...so I can start studying for my Anthropology exam on Thursday....
COLLEGE SUCKS!!! (unless it's thursday - sunday, then it rocks...:D).

And it didn't make me feel bad about being an American at all; I already know how lucky I am to live here.

Lemme revise that... kinda comes off like I think only those who live in the US are lucky. What I mean by that is more that I know how lucky I am to live in a place where I don't have to worry about being "taken away" for my political or religious beliefs... a place where I can have and express my opinions on whatever subject without fearing for my or my family's lives.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

I just saw that in another threead! ouch! I also have two presentations this week. hate those. one has to be 20 minutes! I just failed one of the tests, and feelin damn fine about it===after four beers.
btw, thanks to those who exploit, exploit, exploit!! but, I must add--to Lisa, I agree with you completely. I think often how lucky I am to be here with the freedom to believe as I wish. I think I am an idealist to wish that other places had that same benefit.

I skydive. That makes me luckier than almost everyone else in the world (except for the thousands in our sport who get to do it too). And i am not ashamed.
I dont really get affected by these things because it's, in my opinion, a way for people to feel bad about their status. The way i figure it, you're not a bad person for having been born into a family with money. it makes you lucky. now, the real crime is if you are given every opportunity to succeed in whatever makes you happy in life and you throw it away.
blue skies
Tomas

This has been mentioned before but, as skydivers I don't really think we have any right to pretend to feel bad about large consumptions, considering all the money we pay each weekend just to burn a bunch of airplane fuel that really serves no purpose at all in the world, except to provide fun for all of us.
I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with Clay. So what if that little flash movie shows all those statistics and "moving" pictures. It doesn't suggest any solutions, so it is just as pretentious as that "wealthiest 8%".
"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

"If you feel the US is targeted by this, then you must be feeling guilty about something!"
Well...I would say it's more targeted to garner sympathy from "The West" since we are generally better off in financial and educational terms.
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

I think everyone makes very valid points here. I think what ticks me off is the tendency to label America as evil because we do not suffer as much as the rest of the world. We don't have as much poverty, illiteracy, famine, etc. What is so wrong with that? Why not instead of criticizing us, learn from us! This country is living proof that a free society and democracy works! This country was barren land just 400 years ago. This country was built on hard work and ingenuity. Of course we have our faults and corruption does exist, but life is not perfect and it is not supposed to be. The best any human can do is recognize their mistakes and learn from them. This country needs to continue moving forward and if other countries want to sit back and wait for a handout then I say "too bad".
I apologize for my rambling.
"I am a victim of my environment."
Chris

geesh,
I was just about to feel all guilty about my life...then I rememberedhow busy my day was going to be.
1. Clean leftover food off my breakfast plate.
2. Clean 3 spare bedrooms.
3. Waste precious food on dog, cats, fishes, and snake.
4. play here on my computer.
5. Take long drive to use up my idle time as I am not working and have not been for over a year.
6. get gear ready for weekend to waste more precious fossil fuel and polute the environment...
You see life is not fair, never will be. I don't have time to waste feeling guilty about my position in life, I can just feel lucky. If I can do something to help, I do. this kind of crap pisses me off usually as it is doing nothing to help. Maybe the makers could better spend thier time helping the underprivileged as opposed to trying to make the rest of us feel bad about what we have.
BSBD
Rainbo