Magistr8

Trouble with roomates

Actually what I wanted to know from you guys if you do know is how I can make him pay for the part of the rent that he is not paying. I know he is supposed to pay it and there is a new lease signed but the cash isn't comming in ya know. If you have any advice good or bad let me know what you think.
Who ever said comming down from a high was bad obviously never tried this.
Magistr8

Start looking at soldier of fortune magazine a lot when he is around. Then one day while you are casually playing with a switchblade, mention to him that you can provide him a really good deal on "neighborhood protection" for 20 bucks a month. :)20 million bathtubs can't be wrong. . .

There was nothing written in writing stating that I was paying more than him it was just somethat that we understood to take place. Now you are correct in saying that he no longer lives there. It is imperitive that I win to prove to this clown that I will not be taken advantage of simply because he thinks he can do what he likes.
P.S. I have a copy of all of my pay stubs
Magistr8

Well all that stuff changes it. Now I understand why you're pissed. Sounds to me like the whole family is a bunch of douchebags. You should read the lease very closely to see what you can do. Are both your names on it, or just yours?
Basically, there's no way to force him to pay anything, bills or rent, unless you have a written agreement from him to pay it. All the landlord/bill collectors care about is that they receive the correct amount from the person whose name and contact information they have.... unfortunately.... Good luck though! I'm sure you'll be glad when you're finally rid of all 3 of these assholes.
Joe

Our lease states that the rent is 810. Yeah they don't care who pays it as long as the money shows up. His name and my name are on the lease. I am hoping to talk to the land lord to show her my case and explain to her that he is not paying his share. I need to know if this is binding in any way or if i'm going to be paying for this ass to live with me every month
Magistr8

I guess I'm a bad roomate.. I evacuated my place (i rented a room in a townhouse which had 3 other roomates in it - who still live there none the less). Tried to break my lease but the landlord wouldn't allow it, so i'm still paying rent - on time, every month. However my landlord wants me to continue paying utilities even though I DO NOT LIVE THERE! This month was the first one I refused on. I sent him letters the last month about how I didn't think it was fair since I wasn't using any water, electricity, etc.. he wrote back said I didn't have to pay the water -- well the water wasn't costing anything! It was like a pay twice a year type thing or something, and it has been $0.00 for the past 4 months so *Shrug* electricity is over 80.00 per person! (over 200 per month!)
So anyway I've been seeking legal help to fight him if he tries to come after that money.
Crazy eh? ANyone ever run into this crap?
Kevin
http://www.interone.net

Couple of things (and yes, I am an expert in this - I'm a realtor - BUT I am not a lawyer...so I know what I'd tell you to do if you were my client, but it may not work in court.....how's that for ass-covering...lol)
Magistr8:
1. Both names are on the lease. Is there anything which talks about subletting? In other words, can one party (him) sublet (re-rent) his share of the place to someone else without written permission from (a) you and/or (b) landlord? If there is nothing about subletting, you're free and clear in making the "new guy" leave - you have an agreement with Joe, and Joe sent Sam in. There is no agreement with Sam. Most places have something which state you may not sublet without written permission. Check it carefully.
2. You can't change the agreement once it's in writing unless both parties agree to it in writing. Which means good for you. If I recall correctly, the rent is *not* discussed as a pro-rated/split amount on the lease. You can call his fair share in, including the back amount, because it is not outlined in the lease (the ONLY written document) who pays what.
The drawback to #2 is that you may lose a roommate, and end up with the entire rent cost on your own. Weigh your decision carefully, because the backfire may be more costly than a pinprick of pride.
Kevin922
1. You can be legally responsible for the utilities on the place even if you are not living there if you have a written lease. However, the question needs to be asked: why did you evacuate your place? Was it "unliveable"? Did you request that the landlord make repairs which he refused? Etc. Let me know more in a pm, and I'll see if I can find a hole.
Both of you (and all else who rents)
Mos states have an Landlord/Renter's Rights commission in each largish city. See if there is one in your area. Check out the rights of the lessee (you) v. the rights of the lessor (landlord). Check in the yellow pages about it. You both may have greivances, but different kinds.
Hope it helps - now I have to go to my office to get something closed. I'll be around later if you guys should have any questions.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

Hey thanks for the help. So from what i understand If I choose not to kick him out but just want him to pay the correct amount he will have to do so?
And yes this is a great matter of pride. My former roomate thinks he can parade around everywhere he wants because of daddy, and i'm out to get justice
Magistr8

A couple more suggestions:
1) You may be able to password-protect all of your TV channels depending on your cable provider. I can do this with AT&T Digital Cable. That way, he can't watch any TV until he pays you the back bills plus his share 1 month in advance and you give him the password.
2) You can definitely password-protect your computer/email.
3) If he never buys food, just padlock the fridge.
Apply this principle to everything else you can apply it to, and see if that affects his mindset about taking his share of the bills. It's pretty childish, but he's the one forcing you into it and it'll make for some fun conversations.
Joe

Well I talked it over with the landlord today and things went well and not so well. If he signs the lease he is only in the apartment for 1 more month and then can cancel out of the lease due to a job transfer. If he doesn't sign the lease then he is removed from the apartment and the parents can if they decide to <"associate" <<< not sure of the correct term) the appartment. Meaning that I would have to aggree to paying the full amount since no one else lives here or I would have to move out and they would pay 2 months rent for closing the deal. This situation can only work out in my favour if he decides to pay 20 bucks out of his own pocket. I really don't want to let this ass win. There has to be some other way to go around this I know there has to be and I will find it.
Magistr8

It is not about the money 20 dollars os nothing. I don't think anyone here would want someone to take advantage of them if there was something they could do about it. I don't care about the 20 dollars. I care about babysitting a 23 year old kid when I am only 20 years old my self. It's no wonder my friends tell me i'm 20 going on 30. I am not a quitter, if it cannot be done then I will concede to him but if there is a way to do this I want to find it.
Magistr8

I know this issue has been passe for a day now but I just wanted to let you know that the Magistr8 has dealt with the issue and I now have a bedroom for rent and the old roomate will no longer be a bother. Thanks again for your info on how to go about this it really helped bring closure to the matter.
To celebrate I am going to spend to 20 dollars I save each month and put it towards the cause, just to show that this was not about the measly 20 dollars and becuase I help where it is needed.
Good job everyone who helped out
Pete
Magistr8