billvon

Our crack US scientists

I just came across this on MSNBC, and it was, in a way, so sad it was funny. Here's the article:
-----------------------------------------
A massive Antarctic ice shelf has collapsed into the sea, shattering into thousands of icebergs and alarming researchers by the speed with which the process unfolded. Described by one researcher as “staggering,” the rapid collapse offered fuel for the debate over whether global warming is to blame. . . .
Scientists with the British Antarctic Survey first predicted in 1998 that it would eventually collapse, and satellite images over the years suggested as much. The process accelerated over the last month, with the single largest piece calving on March 5.
David Vaughan, a glaciologist with the British Antarctic Survey, noted that since the 1998 prediction, “warming on the peninsula has continued and we watched as piece by piece Larsen B has retreated.”
“We knew what was left would collapse eventually,” he said in a statement, “but the speed of it is staggering.” It’s hard to believe, he said, that 720 billion tons “of ice sheet has disintegrated in less than a month.”

----------------------------------------
And what do our crack US scientists have to say?
------------------------------------------
The U.S. center noted that 720 billion tons is enough ice for 290 trillion 5-pound bags.
-bill von

Lisa, we don't care about mudslides

And you call yourself an alcoholic. Geez. A mudslide is a very tasty frozen alcoholic beverage, in addition to being a common occurence in Malibu (which, coincidentally is also an alcoholic beverage...)
pull and flare,
lisa

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm sitting here looking out of my window watching people surf on the beach! All this talk about water is making me thirsty....BEER RUN! Sorry, I didn't have anything w/ substance to add...just adding more to my # of total posts! :)**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

What's interesting is that they are hesitant to blame it on global warming. Although that part of Antarctica has seen a warming trend, another part has seen a cooling trend.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."