prost

Future swooping plans

Oh yeah, baby! Swoop, swoop a doop!!!!! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!! Heal leg, HEAL!!!!!!! I can't wait to swoop... but I will. I'm gonna ease my sweet tibia back in with some nice tiptoes and then when she is fully healed, we'll play..... :)
dove

I'll give you my perspective.
I started in June 2, years ago. When I first saw Andy Farrington falling out of the sky on a Velocity 96, it scared me, I thought he was dead. Then I heard his parachute was a third the size of the one I was learning one. I couldn't comprehend doing that. I figured it would take years and years and 6,000 jumps, like him, to fly something like that.
Now, I am not quite to that size, I fly a 98, and it doesn't SEEM that small. I am new on it, and don't claim to know what he does. But it is interesting how a point of view can change with a bit of experience, knowledge, training and time.

jump it sure, but not land it. I heard of a guy jumping a kite with a cutaway rig. I would like to jump something rediculously small just to see how it feels and then cut it away at about 5 grand. The guy that i met that jumped the kite had one problem though. He did not change the angle of attack and the thing flew between his legs because a kite is trimmed much differently than a parachute.
William

It's all in the pack method, I jumped a Velocity and Xfire on alternate jumps all weekend (not a couple of jumps either), the Velocity opened, in some cases, slower than the Xfire. I'll give you the Xfire is more forgiving of sloppy packing, but the Velocity is a fine opening canopy also.

some people will argue with that (slow down before deployment), I dont' have an opinion either way. I did have an interesting observation this weekend, Rickster Powell was filming us (4 way), and he like to play around and film deployments, so everyone was getting turns at getting their deployments on tape. I noticed that everyone was dearching at pull time, I even tried not to, and on the video, there was a slight de-arch. weird.

Well boys what is the technique? I'm willing to make Derek try anything so he isn't in pain every weekend. Well almost anything other than rolling the nose or psycho packing. The VX60 is way to touchy for that kind of stuff.
Actually now that I think about it, nevermind. He comes out of the sky so fast that he needs every little bit of altitude he can get just to make it back to the DZ and set up to land.