skycat

Colorado Drop Zones?

I was wondering if anyone jumps or has jumped at any of the Colorado DZs? Especially Mile-High Skydiving Center, since it's only about 12 miles from my corporate office, and I'd like to get some jumps in when I'm out visiting.
Kelli

I actually did my second tandem @ Skydive the Rockies, which is just outside Colorado Springs. Small place, unreal views. Im hoping to get back out there this summer now that I have my license!!!
It is located at Fremont County Airport, its a little cessna dropzone.
eeneR
TF#72

Hey SkyCat....from what I have heard through the grapevine, MileHi is somewhat of a tandem factory, but there are fun jumpers there too. They have a King Air.
There is a DZ in Brush, CO which has a Grand Caravan and that place seems more "family-like" from what I'm told by other CO skydivers.
Good luck and be sure to tell me how it is. Laura and I are headed that way in July. :)Have fun!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

someone has to live in CO

Nope, the people you see on the streets and in the stores when you drive by are actually cardboard cut outs. If tourists actually stopped in "normal" CO towns they would find the elaborate ruse. I think the only people that are real people are the ones that run the sky resorts and they fly in on a bi-weekly basis...
"Are they short-shorts?" T.B.

My question is that Denver is a mile high and there is a dropzone in Boulder, which is right outside of Denver. I wonder what altitude they jump at because of the mountains. Maybe waht 13 k but the ground is around 4k which means you have to deploy at 6.5k? Anyone know the answer to this?

chromeboy:
I have not jumped in colorado but the cities of denver and saltlake are aproximately the same elevation. That being said we have three dropzones in the area ranging from 4000 to 5000' above sealevel. the normal jump altitude here is usually 12000' agl give or take a thousand that puts us at 16000' to 17000' msl. That may seem extreme to those of you living at sea level but for those that are aclimated to the altitude the thinner air is not noticeable. If you are coming up from sealevel you may whant to make sure the dropzone has suplimentary oxygen on the plane, I know the dropzone I jump at does.
Don
Death is so permanant, and just not ready for that kind of committment.

okay i'm not a real colorado resident because my rresidency is ohio but i am stationed in colorado springs....it's at 6k msl and from what i've read up of the dz around there they jump at 12k agl...... i made it out to the dz in cannon (city?) it lookd small to me but it was sorta close to co springs.... it was closed when i stoped by (first week od jan.) i was suposed to be back in the area at the end of the month but that's a whole diffrent story i have to post about.........let me know when you'll be up there and we can jump...... and there is another dz.comer here that lives in co...i think his name is beerone or maybe not......can't remeber....he had a post a little while ago saying hello to everyone and saying he was on the forum.....

"i may not go to heven, i hope you go to hell"-C.C.

I jump in CO all the time only in Denver a couple of times. Sky dive the rockies is cool but that is near canyon. That is actually my home DZ. I have not jumped in a month or so but it is getting warmer here so i will be going every week! There should be 3 planes now so manifest is fast and easy. 11-5 is the top here though. That is AGL so about 17-5 ASL no need for O2. If you have any ?'s e-mail me or if your here and need directions look me up.
If your not living on the edge; Your taking up too much space!!!

Thanks,
My corporate office is outside of Boulder so I probably won't make it south of Denver, and well I'm a turbine slut, so I will definately have to check out Brush if I have the time, but since I'll be like 15 min from Mile-hi I'll have to check them out to, although if it is a tandem factory I might end up jumping by my cute little self. :)

Mile Hi is turbine, but Front Range Skydivers in Calhan, CO (about 30 miles east of Colorado Springs) are the nicest bunch of people you'll meet. They have a Caravan and a turbo 206.
I believe the field elevation there is around 5500 ft, but Coach Wenger will take you to 13,000 AGL in his Caravan.
FRS was my "home DZ" of sorts when I was at the AFA (when I wanted to jump civilian and had the time).

Skycat- I live in Denver and have jumped at all of the DZ's except Calhan. They are all very good depending on what you want. You said your office is 12 miles away from Mile High. That is good since the others are about 2 hours away from there.
Skydive the Rockies (Canon City) is a small but friendly DZ. It is located 45min west of Colorado Springs or 2 1/2 hours from Denver. Can be longer depending on traffic. They have a C206 that takes you to about 9-10k AGL, or 17,000ft MSL. It can be a long ride depending on the density altitude that day. However, it is a beautiful ride. You are right in a mountain range and you fly over the Royal Gorge on the way up. Most of the instructors are Air Force Academy instructors. They also don't see a lot of freeflyers. I only get about 3 jumps per day when I go. Bob the DZO is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet and he treats you fair and has integrity.
Brush is good if your NOT doing any training. I tried to get training there and ended up very disappointed more than once. Twice they had my friend and I show up for our AFF level 2 & 3 but never got us in the air. We waited all day and watched many tandems go but were sent home with only the promise they would get us in the air the following week. If you want fun jumps it is a great place. There are a lot of fun experienced people out there who like to party. On a down side it is kind of far from the mountains out in the eastern part of the state. (Also about 2 1/2 hours from Denver) This allows for more freefall time, (not much more) but probably not worth passing up on the view of the Rocky Mountains. After all you don't get to fall beside huge mountains at every drop zone. They use a C206 also, but sometimes have other planes leased for a week or so.
Mile High is the biggest in the state and they do have the fastest and biggest plane. (King Air) It can and does get you to 17,500ft in about 15min. This allows for about a 1 min belly fly or 35-45 sec freefly. Mile High is very much a tandem factory but this doesn't normally get in the way of experienced jumpers. They have many experienced jumpers since they are the closest to Denver. There are also groups for any discipline you enjoy. Just introduce yourself to some of the jumpers and you can get in with the groups no problem. I can get on just about every other load usually. I'm not that fast at packing so that is what keeps me from jumping every load;+) I will add this. The DZO is not liked very much by many of the experienced jumpers (including staff). Many of the staff leave due to the fact that he can be a huge asshole at times. He is also very much in it for the $$$$. The only reason that most of the jumpers stay is because of the distance and because of the faster plane. Just stay away from Jeff, especially if you have tits and you'll be ok. Well maybe you could get a few free jumps if you share your tits with him??
Calhan, I have never been to but only hear great things about. They are comparable to Brush. They sometimes lease planes for events and for busy times during the year. They usually attract mostly experienced jumpers. There are also all disciplines jumping there. You will find that Calhan and Brush have many weekend events that will attract jumpers from the other DZ's. The experienced jumpers also go to one of these two DZ's when they get pissed at Jeff from Mile High. Calhan is not very close to the mountains the way Canon City (Skydive the Rockies) and Mile High are.
In summery, Mile High if you want lots of jumps and the most options. Check to make sure Brush and Calhan don't have something going on that weekend first. If they do then you can bet that is where most of the experience and beer will be. They are also good if you want to avoid the business feeling that Mile High can have at times. Then you have Canon City (Skydive the Rockies), which is a nice small DZ to spend the day at. It has a nice small family run DZ feeling. On a side note it is also the only DZ in the state that I know Troy Hartman and Joe Jennings have jumped at. Plus I think it is one of the most scenic of them all. Brush and Calhan are not by the mountains the other two are.
Hope this helps everyone and hope to jump with all of you.
"Blue Sky's"

That was a very informative post, other than placing Canon (pronounced "canyon") City "west" of Colorado Springs. It is actually South West, much closer to Pueblo.
I lived in Colorado Springs for five years and Denver for two. It is an absolutely beautiful region and hopefully, someday, I will get back out there to see it again. Another plus is that there is no motorcycle helmet law in Colorado!
Sidenote to visiting "territorial" patch-holders: This is Bandido country; keep your rag in your saddlebags unless you are in that coalition. This will make perfect sense to those who need to know what I am saying; others can disregard.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

Hey there Skycat,
I live and jump regularly in Colorado, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you any info that Faitor didn't already cover. I consider Brush to be my home DZ, mainly because the people who jump there are VERY cool! One correction to the emails listed above, Brush is only about 90 minutes from the Denver / Boulder area (not 2 and 1/2 hours). Calhan would definitely be my second choice (and it's only a little further).
Wish you could've been here last weekend for our Spring Boogie.....had a Super Otter and King Air. It's my understanding that they're keeping the King Air for the rest of the season. Might satisfy that turbine penchant of yours :)
Feel free to PM me if you'd like any additional info.
B~
"My eyes are dry and my hands are clean
and I can't believe all the things I've seen"
-- Blind Melon