arnewcomb

Katana 120 openings

Here I am. Asking for help. I need it. Very recently I switched from a Crossfire to a Katana. I've never had to cut away until I switched over. Needless to say I was frustrated with that fact and am set out to resolve this issue before it happens again. I've noticed that the openings have been drastically different, obviously (regardless of packing the same way). This apparently has contributed to the problem because they are obviously two completely different canopies and may or may not require two slightly different packing techniques.

Regardless, my problem is the opening sequence. On my Crossfire, I had been "tucking" the nose quite deep and noticed a great deal of end cell closure which was good and nice. After switching over and (not necessarily switching my packing technique) I've noticed an equal amount of end cell closure and a ton of twists!!!!! Right at the end of my snivel (which appears to be symmetric and straight) I'm turned one way and them BAM, twist (once inducing me to cut away). I've read recent posts on this subject and it appears that "tucking" the nose seems to be an issue. This makes sense to me in part because by tucking the nose you try to prevent the nose from inflating as quickly as it might be intended to and also because if you don't tuck it evenly one side may inflate more quickly than the other. This seems to be one of the highly suggested recommendations in regards to packing a Katana from those who have flown them. I ask, can this truly make a difference (I tend to think it can)? Are there other suggestions that may be beneficial?

This is enough evidence for me to adjust the way I pack it before I completely write it off as something I don't want or something I'm not ready for. I'll post back with my results but would appreciate some constructive criticism regarding this issue from those who have actually experienced it. Thanks in advance.

Hey P! Thanks for getting back. I know I can trust your judgement. You almost bought Kruse's rig from me and my fiancé is currently jumping your wife's dinky Javelin. Glad to get advice from "family" haha.

In response to your questions, it has brand new HMA lines (assuming it's all in trim). Is a 2006 with a decent of jumps (estimated ~500-700ish). It does have a small (1 ripstop square) size hole right behind the label on the top skin.

Why would you push the nose in on a Katana anyway? They already have quite a long snivel. I have never had good results from pushing the nose in on any elliptical canopy. As a result I pack every canopy the same now, leave nose alone and wrap the tail securely.

I would concentrate on keeping yourself square in the harness and having hands on the risers ready to chase it if and when it takes off into a spin or dive, as the KT is prone to do according to the laundry list of people I know who jump them.

Your Katana will never open as nice as your Crossfire though, just get used to it. ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Katana 120 opens better than anything I've owned and I still have it for this reason. Perfect canopy for the affi evaluation jumps.

However some are not made same right?? No two canopy will open and fly the same way..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

FB1609

Normal snivel with a hard twist right at opening to me could suggest that some lines are not even, shorter/longer on one side. They'd have to be quite a bit out to do that though.

As the pending seller of this canopy I can assure that the lineset (HMA500) had 0 jumps when I shipped it.

mattjw916

I would concentrate on keeping yourself square in the harness and having hands on the risers ready to chase it if and when it takes off into a spin or dive, as the KT is prone to do according to the laundry list of people I know who jump them.

Your Katana will never open as nice as your Crossfire though, just get used to it. Wink

I think this sums up my own experience with the Katana. Let the canopy snivel and if it wants to go somewhere, let it. Don't fight it. OP is loading the canopy fairly low which might contribute to the openings.

Probably the lines are OK but your position at launch time could be improved. I read that the best thing to do with a Katana immediately after the PC launch is to resume in a box position and look at the horizon. It is a good habit to adopt. A lot of jumpers have the tendency to look up at their deployment. That makes a body switch in the harness which becomes not symetrical causing a spin at deployment.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

"We find the Katana opens best when the nose is left completely straight, with the leading edge hanging
just below the front of the slider. We do not recommend pushing the nose into the center of the pack job on any
canopy, even a little bit, as this promotes off-heading openings."

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/KatanaFlightCharacteristics.pdf

I was doing the same thing on mine and having really long bad opening. Stopped tucking the nose and that alone helped a lot. I still get some weird openings sometimes and i'm particular on who I let pack it. I only load mine at a 1.35-1.4 so that might have something to do with it. It keeps me on my toes.

Fun fact: First time I ever jumped it was also my first jump on a reserve I packed myself, the things that were going through my mind on the ride up. Had the rigger that is teaching me and another one sitting behind me screwing with me the whole time. "Hmm that doesn't look right, we can fix it later." :S

I was able to do a few jumps with a new, simpler and apparently improved packing technique. I followed the guidelines presented to me a long time ago during packing courses as a student, PD's recommendations on how to pack not only a Katana, but all of their canopies and additional suggestions presented here in the DZ.com forum.

I stopped "tucking" my nose, as PD stated that this may cause off-heading openings and subsequently (in my opinion) the increased potential for twisting up. I also stopped rolling the tail "tight" and put only a few 1-2 inch rolls in the tail before lying it down on the ground. This, at least in my mind, seems to help prevent the canopy from spinning once out of the bag immediately prior to inflation.

Anyway, the recommendations were immensely helpful and I appreciate them all. I'm now looking at symmetric, on-heading openings and feel more in control of the canopy throughout it process.

Thanks!

400 jumps on a katana 135. I tucked the nose and roll the tail. while it is a twitchy canopy on inflation due to being elliptical, as long as you keep your body symetrical upon opening i got nothing more then a 45 to 90 off heading and it usually corrects itself if you keep your symetry in the saddle. Most people i have notcied start worrying about their canopy more than their weight displacement in the harness once it starts going in a direction. just relax and let the canopy do its thing, it will usually work itself out.

swoopfly

400 jumps on a katana 135. I tucked the nose and roll the tail. while it is a twitchy canopy on inflation due to being elliptical, as long as you keep your body symetrical upon opening i got nothing more then a 45 to 90 off heading and it usually corrects itself if you keep your symetry in the saddle. Most people i have notcied start worrying about their canopy more than their weight displacement in the harness once it starts going in a direction. just relax and let the canopy do its thing, it will usually work itself out.

Have you tried without tucking the nose?

I totally agree about being neutral and balanced during openings; I don't look at it and I don't try to fly it.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA