gale

Flying an open canopy off a building

OK, so this might just be unbelievably stupid, but I just have to know: If you put on a rig that has it's chute deployed and jump off a building, is that actually going to work? This isn't anything I would do or anything but I'm curious, it strikes me as being totally impossible, but what do I know.
(Yup, due to my skydiving movie marathon I'm full of dumb questions.)
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

I've often thought of trying this on snow skiis and a really steep hill. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm just wondering if a regular skydiving canopy would work. I imagine your canopy would probably pull you over backwords before you could take off. Steve

What if there is enough wind to fill the canopy while you are standing on the ground?
Once after landing in the middle of a recidencial area (because of strong wind, long spot and me using too much time to climb out), I wondered what I could have done if I had landed on a roof. Could I have kept running to keep the canopy in the air and then jumped off the roof?
I know it probably would have been a VERY BAD IDEA, but in theory at least, could it have worked?
Nobody expects the...um...the Spanish...um...

Once after landing in the middle of a recidencial area (because of strong wind, long spot and me using too much time to climb out), I wondered what I could have done if I had landed on a roof. Could I have kept running to keep the canopy in the air and then jumped off the roof?

I would think to kite the canopy off the top of a tall building would work, simply because you've got the altitude for the canopy to recover. I would think doing it off the roof of a house would be an extrememly bad idea, the canopy would probably dive right into the ground...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

wasn't that in terminal velocity? i seem to remember charlie sheen yanking his reserve out of his rig, laying it out and then running off the edge of the building and over a fence...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bunky
get crazy, before it gets you.

I'm not sure about Terminal Velocity, but in that really bad Snipes movie the bad guys would land on the roof of a highrise, break in and do their thing, then put the rigs back on a ground-launch the canopies over the side and into the back of a waiting truck.
--
Brian

oh yeah, i remember that now... i still think they did the same thing in terminal velocity. it's funny how hollywood screws with reality sometimes. i used to drive a truck, and to this day, whenever there is a truck in a movie, they screw something about it up. the latest was the fast and furious with (among other things) the scene where they are driving their cars under the trailer. that would have to be one low car to get under a real trailer. i guess real life, even skydiving, is just too boring for people. :D
bunky

the 'underride' bars... yeah, i used to read a lot of truck trade rags and have seen pics of those and i think they're are a good idea. they are not mandatory in north america, and since they would cost more and add weight, you don't see them.
bunky

Steve1-
I was looking on the web just the other day and found a video of a guy doing what you were asking about. He had on his ski's and a rig and started down the mountain. Before you knew it he was up about 200ft the way it looked. I will try and find it for posting. I think it was on enclave.com.

wierd... i had a guy ask me about this last night as we were watching dropzone..... i told him it could be done.... and y not???? iwould try it..well maybe i'd try it..like if i got paid lots of money!!!!

it only took a little pixie dust to change this mispelling

i saw that movie... it's like a car wreck. you know you don't really want to see it, but you feel compelled to. that james bond movie with the tankers coming down the mountain road ( i forget which one it was) was particularly, laughably bad. the thing is, big trucks look cool, lots of switches and guages and they are big, but they don't do anything particulary interesting unless you fake it. i remember one movie, can't think of the title, but this trucker had been wronged and took off after the bad guys with his truck and a trailer full of cars. i think jerry reed was in it but i might be wrong. anyway, he is driving sown a snowy road, and puts it into an 18 wheel drift around a corner! they obviously had it rigged so that there was no articulation between the truck and trailer, but it just looked so bad!
bunky

"due to my skydiving movie marathon I'm full of dumb questions"

ROFL - Yeah, What's up with all the skydiving movies on USA lately. For those of us who are jobless & stuck at home all day, they've been showing Terminal Velocity, Dropzone, and Cutaway is on right now (starring the 12 time best actor award winner Steven Baldwin LOL).
I've wondered if the whole "kiting" a canopy off a sizable building would be possible. I used to work in a 353 foot building (probably the tallest one in this cursed town) and always envisioned basing the South Tower/building while they were doing a random fire drill! But, I don't have a base rig, and never figured out how to get on the roof! lol
Blues!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

>If you put on a rig that has it's chute deployed and jump off a building, is that
> actually going to work? This isn't anything I would do or anything but I'm curious,
> it strikes me as being totally impossible, but what do I know.
There are many ways to do this.
If you open the main, take the canopy, have someone hold it above you over the edge (hard to do) and jump, you will have just essentially done a direct-bag BASE jump. They are done all the time. The canopy will need some mods (removal or tie down of the slider for example.)
If you just want to jump, a BASE rig is designed specifically to deploy under such conditions, and will probably work fine. There are half a dozen ways to deploy the main (direct bag, static line, assist, stowed, handheld) depending on conditions, altitude etc
If you try to kite it and jump, you will jump forward and immediately swing back beneath the canopy and slam into the building. If you don't get badly hurt and the canopy doesn't entangle with anything you will then fly away. You can avoid this by playing with wind conditions, front risers etc but it is not straightforward.
If you can find a building with, say, a 20 degree pitched roof, you will probably be able to foot-launch the canopy like a paraglider. Of course, an actual paraglider is going to work a lot better for this purpose (this comes from experience.)
-bill von

Nope, not in Terminal Velocity. In my skydiving movie marathon I just watched that (oh so bad) movie, and they didn't do that. But in Drop Zone they do it a few times.
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive