NegroKarlezi

Using an Suunto Ambit as an altimeter

Hi every one!, first of all sorry for my English, I'm from Chile, so please forgive me if I write like Tarzan :P
I have a Suunto Ambit, can anyone tell me what's the best setting for using it as an altimeter, when I try to use it like one a get Onel de small numbers in the display with a huge graph. I don't need a graph when I'm falling.

Thanks for your response
Greetings from Chile

Pier Karlezi
Stay Safe
Stay safe and keep flying

Isn't the altimeter in that intended for terrain hiking? I don't think it makes a suitable freefall altimeter. As much as the watch costs I honestly think you would be better off getting a real altimeter as they are not that expensive. I don't believe it is safe to attempt to use that for freefall
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Oh please don't assume my opinion is factual...I am assuming it's not a good idea based on the design of the altimeter and it's intended use of hiking/mountaineering. those types of altimeters typically have a slow refresh rate. Yours may be different. I only intended my post as a caution that it may not be a good idea but aside from that I don't know how to make the display different. As long as it isn't a primary alti I would call suunto to get info from them about the display aspect and just try it alongside your other alti to see if it will work for freefall
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

I used a Suunto Vector successfully back in the day.... a Viso is easier to read though and a better choice. Despite being a "watch" it actually worked quite well within the limitations in the manual (need to "zero" it manually).

Honestly I hardly ever use a visual altimeter in freefall other than a quick glance after tracking away and rely primarily on my audible (and other skydivers) as reference. A Suunto was fine for filling that role and for timing hook turns, etc... YMMV...

I wouldn't recommend it for any one new to the sport though so plan accordingly. ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I have been using suunto core as my only visual alti for 2 years. I wouldnt recommend it for beginners, since its not refreshing fast enough for freefall.

I only use visual alti under canopy anyways. Under canopy it does the job and is very small size, so I like it.

Suunto Vector works far better than Suunto Core.

Over 3500+ jumps with Suunto Vector

I wish they come out with real skydiving watch. Don't care if it will cost 500+. Just make one. already..
Their scuba dive watch is badass.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I can't remember which Suunto I had, maybe Core(think it was the Vector though), but it seemed to work pretty well for freefall. I used mine for about a year with no problems.

You do need to keep in mind that they don't refresh as fast as an actual alti, and mine tended to be about 500ft behind in freefall

Mine didn't have a graph function so sorry can't help you there.

I have seen a lot of people using Suunto core as an altimeter, that's why I asked.

That doesn’t make it the smart thing to do. There is a reason they are sold as “watches”. While they may do many things other than tell time they do not do them well. Choose your gear for function not for fashion.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have an Ambit 2 that is ok for getting a basic idea of your altitude but it's not something I'd recommend people use for their primary altimeter. I find that it's delayed but also can be 10-50ft off which is certainly enough to break yourself if you're swooping. I tried it on my other wrist when I was wearing my regular altimeter to see how it'd work. I've also found that it'll re-zero in odd ways and I needed to pay attention. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on it but I can certainly land safely without an altimeter so up to you.

With the Ambit series of watches, you can create your own applications which allow you to have something that shows your altitude in a readable way rather than the graph. I've done that as well. The apps will also log your freefall which is pretty fun to look at.

I haven't used any of the older Suunto watches but I know a lot of people do. If I had nothing else, I'd wear my Ambit 2 but I wouldn't expect any accuracy from it. YMMV.