SBS

Freefall sucks!

Ok, not really. Not as far as I am concerned at least.
I took a girl on a tandem this morning, though, who was only the second person I have seen that really didn't like freefall. I talked her all the way to the door, got out (she was fine, arched great), didn't freak out or anything, and then under canopy, loved it, but was holding onto the harness terrified. As far as the freefall was concerned, she said everything but come right out and say "I hated it".
So, curious, how many people has everyone seen, friends, family, random jumpers, etc., that really didn't like their jump? Not like it just didn't excite them like they thought it would, but they really did not like it.
Steve

It's the concept that terrifies them. You hear how people say over n over n over how'd they would never jump out of a plane. Some of those people do show up at the DZ......... It is not for everyone. In fact it's not for most people. I have noticed several people say they loved the canopy ride but not freefall. Thing is when most of us are in freefall we are interacting with each other. With the Tandems it is a sightseeing tour. **Shrug** Most people really dig it.........
It seems to me from experience that men in general are the ones that will back out or chicken out or not relax. Women will relax and trust you when you throw em out the plane.............
I be just rambling. Anyone else find trouble getting thier real thoughts down on these forumns?
Sebazz........

I'll have to agree with sebazz.
I kept coming back because I liked the view from up there. I had to deal with letting go of the plane to get it. I still have trouble staying relaxed. And the best way was to start playing freefall tag.
Don't know about women trusting you after the exit, but if I have to guess... Because the man's on top?

Hehehehehee....Chris (One of the video guys at SD Atlanta) has a video he shot of a girl that absolutely hated it. She was awesome though. She gets out, arches, checks her alti, was aware of the camera guy. Great student! The standard video question of "So....what did ya think about that?" on the ground. All that came out of her mouth was "I'm never doing that F*ckn Shit again!" She was pissed!!!! We on the other hand laughed our asses off at the video. :)I worked with a guy that had a bad experience. I think it was on a Clear and pull or something and he flipped onto his back and couldn't figure out how to turn over. (Arch stupid!!) He dumped on his back, ended up cutting away a horseshoe and riding the reserve down. Hasn't jumped anything but military S/L since. *shrug* Wuss!!!! LOL
"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

No, no refund...after all, she got to be strapped to me...that was worth the price of admission right there. :-)
A agree Seb, but I've seen a lot of people terrified at the door, etc., but get out and love freefall. When they are conceptualizing, they are scared out of their minds, and say they would never do it. I have seen bunches of people who have said that they wouldn't do it again, but very few that have actually said that they did not like it.
I think they're just nuckin futs. Freefall rocks.
:-)
Steve

Two weeks ago a skydiver friend and myself were standing on the deck, and he asked a first timer how there tandem went.
Her reply was " It was all right." She didn't seem scared. Later on he was like " She fell for a mile at 120mph, how could you not be impressed?"

A friend of mine said that his first tandem was cool but nothing special. I was surprised until I found out he snuck away and smoked a bowl about 20 minutes before his jump. He didn't understand why I was yelling at him. If you do something and your high it's only going to be as good as the high your on. Than pissed me off.
Its only in drugs or death we'll see anything new, and death is just too controlling - Chuck Palahniuk

My wife did a tandem and didn't care for the freefall. She said it wasn't as exciting as she thought it would be (I guess I ruined her :D). She also didn't like all of the wind in her face. She loved the canopy ride but really has no intention of pursuing her license. I've tried hard though!
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.

I've seen a lot of people terrified at the door, etc., but get out

Forgot about this. For almost everyone there is apprehension because they have no idea what is about to happen. But 4-5 seconds out the door it's all good. I have been pushing my best tandem students to come back and go through the AFF. Man are AFF students nervous. Relax damnit....................Let it go..........Breath.......:)Sebazz........

One of the main reasons I shot so many student video is I love watching their face and sharing their first jump experience. Have seen a few freak, not as many as a lot would think though. Most people that do skydive do it because they want to.
Have learned that the guy in a group of guys might be the one that freaks. It seems that a guy would be more prone to do something because his friends are doing it more so than a girl. I tend to think girls will say No to anyone a lot faster than a young dude.
Did have a girl faint while hanging from the strut of a 182 on her first static-line jump..lol.. I said Go and her eyes rolled back and she was out..But thats a different story..lol.
Roy.