diverdriver

NOT a jump plane accident but....(C-182)

Here is the text of a report on a 182 crash. Read the last line. Fellow Jump Pilots.....please don't duct tape your aircraft to keep stuff closed. If it's broke, fix it.
NTSB Identification: FTW02LA137
Accident occurred Thursday, May 02, 2002 at Tuckerman, AR
Aircraft:Cessna 182G, registration: N3146S
Injuries: 1 Serious, 1 Minor.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On May 2, 2002, at 1645 central daylight time, a Cessna 182G single-engine airplane, N3146S, was substantially damaged when it impacted a levee during a forced landing following a loss of engine power near Tuckerman, Arkansas. The airplane was registered to Silver Air Inc. of Wilmington, Delaware, and operated by Silverwing Aviation of Searcy, Arkansas. The commercial pilot sustained minor injuries, and his sole passenger was seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations part 91 personal flight. The cross-country flight departed from Leavenworth, Kansas, approximately 1430, for a destination of Newport, Arkansas.
Preliminary information indicates that while at 7,000 feet msl, approximately 2 hours 10 minutes into the flight, the engine "sputtered," and the pilot descended the airplane below the clouds. Approximately 3 miles from a grass airstrip, the engine lost total power. The pilot circled the airplane around to the south of the airstrip to make a north landing into the wind; however, the airplane impacted a levee 60-70 feet short of the runway. The airplane came to rest inverted.
An examination of the airplane, by FAA inspectors who responded to the accident site, revealed that the landing gear, the firewall, and the left wing spar were damaged. Examination of the fuel system revealed that the left fuel filler cap was loose and its clip was broken. No fuel was found in either tank, and there was no evidence of a fuel spill.
According to ground personnel, prior to departing Leavenworth, Kansas, the airplane's fuel tanks were topped off, and the pilot put duck tape over the left fuel filler cap.

"wrinkles in your duct tape are a sign of poor workmanship."

In a redneck sort of way, That's funny.
So what's the deal? I 182 should fly about 4 hours on full tanks, what does duct tape over the cap have to do with anything? It is prelim though, they will find out the facts.

Most are assuming he used duct tape because of a defective fuel cap---tape comes off, fuel leaks out during flight,---plane becomes a glider earlier that expected.
Opie
Fly Smooth, Fly Fast, Don't ____up!

The deal is that if your gas cap is broken and won't stay on you don't go flying with it duct taped. You get it fixed and you don't fly until it is. With an improperly fitted or broken gas cap you can actually suck the fuel out in flight. With the 182 being a high wing you can't see the fuel streaming behind you.
I was on a formation load (C-182s) and I came up behind a 182 that was leaking. Just got a glint of it with the sun just right. The cap had not been secured properly and was syphoning fuel inflight. We aborted and he landed with power on. Glad we caught it.
Chris Schindler
ATP
D-19012
www.DiverDriver.com

Oh geez Quade and DD y'all cracl me up!
Everyone knows you only need 2 things in your repair kit.
Duct tape and WD-40
If it moves and it isnt suppose to use the tape, if it doesn't move and is suppose to use the WD-40.
even I knew that.*now where did I put that damn sledge hammer?
But 4000 windmills CAN'T be wrong!

Betsy,
You've got it!
Now, with respect to the gas cap/duct tape fix....
We all know that the gas vapors will destroy the sticky on the tape. Looking at part 43... (FAA repair/maintenance manual)... anytime you have a leaking/missing gas cap, you should first use a ziplock bag over the "orifice", then "affix" the "securing tape".
I'll bet those guys weren't appropriately rated for the repair.
Geez us!
Chris (Martin... not the other guy)