Muenkel

The horns of a dilemma.

I just got the appraisal on the damages to my car...$4400.00. I have two choices: Get the car fixed or just have them give me the cash which could pay for a schweet new rig.
But I know what my decision is: The car is only 6 weeks old and I can't open the passenger door which would be a problem if any skydive ladies wanted to go for a ride.
But I have to admit, the temptation for a new rig is there.
If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.
Chris

Ooooh, that's a tough call. You certainly can't have a nice new car all dented up though. Hard to say without seeing the damage. You probably should get the car fixed and start saving for the rig, since you can't jump right now anyway! Just my opinion. Any chance of getting a lower bid somewhere else?
J

you'll be driving more than diving, looking good in the air is great, but having to drive down the road embarrased is something else again. if the car if financed (you mentioned it was six weeks old) the insurance will cut the check in the insurance company's name, sometimes the body shop's name, and yours, and they generally have an inspector come out after repairs are facilitated to make sure the money was spent on repairs to the automobile. i had a tornado hit my house not long ago, lost a 40' X 30' steel building, and the roof on my house, all of it, the insurance cut the check and i had the insurance guys all over the place, i told them "what? you think i don't want a new roof, or what?" would be nice if you could have both! :)Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

If you can still get to the DZ with the car in the shape its in then buy the rig .... You can't jump without one !!! As for the ladies ... I hope you don't have to use your car to get one (because if that's all she's after then she's NOT WORTH IT !!)
As for being confused, always about all things except jumping ... ha ha ;-)

the insurance will cut the check in the insurance company's name, sometimes the body shop's name, and yours, and they generally have an inspector come out after repairs are facilitated to make sure the money was spent on repairs to the automobile

Even if they don't have an inspector out to check repairs, the check will come with a statement to the effect that you will use the money for its stated purpose, i.e. repairing the car. If you sign the statement by signing the check, you will be liable for insurance fraud if you use the money for the rig. That would put you in trouble with the law, the insurance company and the leinholder on your car! No rig is worth that hassle!

the check will require an endorsement from everybody it's made out to as well. ie: lien holder, bodyshop, owner. insurance companies caught on to this quite some time ago. that is if the car is financed, in the beneficial event your car is paid for, you can do what you want with the money, but who wants to drive a 6 week old wrecked car?
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

because if that's all she's after then she's NOT WORTH IT

Are you sure? I don't mind, haven't had a girl for a year now, I would sure love one of those right about now.
I drive a Chevrolet S-10 double cabin pickup 4X4, any chicks interested in something casual? I have a feeling I have a anti-ladies car...
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline