Darkzone

Success at last!!

After ten months (albeit spread over two years) and more jumps than you can shake a stick at I finally did it!
Yep, I finally made Cat 8 and have shaken off my student status (not that there's anything wrong with being a student, but for two years!!!?)
Anyways, I did my half series today and I was more nervous about it than I ever was over my first jump. I *really* didn't want to screw up, but... My exit was okay, my backloop seemed very untidy, my track seemed very rocky and my 2x360s turned into 3x260s plus a bit.
I landed very disheartened 'cos I thought I had blown it big time. Even more so when my instructor said "get a coffee and we'll go outside and have a chat". "Yeah", I thought, away from all the others when you tell me how crap I was.
We get outside and he asks me how I thought I'd done and I told him not to beat about the bush and tell me straight. He says "Well, it was a bit untidy but you did everything you needed to do and so I am quite happy to award your Cat 8"
I stood there with my mouth open trying to take in what he was saying. It still hasn't really sunk in yet.
I decided to do the same jump again immediately after and was much more relaxed about it. It went much, much better than the previous and I though "Well, if I hadn't passed on the last one I would certainly have passed on this." R***Y (instructor) agreed with me which made me feel much better.
So, I walked around for the rest of the afternoon with a silly great grin on my face and pumping the hand and thanking every instructor that had the misfortune to have be on their lift.
Now all i have to do is thank everyone here for their advice and encouragement and to say, without it, I might still be stuck with my involuntary turns.

How many jumps do you have, and why did it take you so long to get off student status...?

I'm almost embarrassed to say it took 53 jumps to get off student status.
It took so long because of several factors. the crappy English weather for one, work committments for another (I have to work two weekends in every three) and finances.
I'm not really complaining though. It's been hard work and expensive, but all that pales into insignificance when compared to the fun I've had and the fantastic friends I've made.
Cheap at half the price, Guv!
Whooooohooooo!!! Hahahaha!!!

Dude it took you close to $10,000 to graduate? That is what I call dedication....

I wasn't doing AFF, I was following the SL course. It worked out at about £1600 for jumps plus about half as much again for gear.
Whooooohooooo!!! Hahahaha!!!

A bit untidy. Don't you love the Brit talent for understatement. :D
Congratulations man! When it is hard to accomplish it just makes the results more enjoyable.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.

No shame. It took me 30 jumps to get off student status, and 57 jumps by the time I earned my license. All this time I've learnt a great deal from my instructors and past mistakes.
Your jumps must be quiet a bargain now huh?
Congrats! Stop by my DZ if you're ever in town.