Muenkel

I need advice on getting a dog.

I see dogs on a daily basis (I groom them). I have to agree that a golden is an awesome dog--great w/everyone. Pitbulls are good IF you make sure you know the line it comes from. The reason it has a bad reputation is because inbreeding can make for an agressive dog. Personally, I think that Rotweilers are cool dogs, but it is another one that has a bad reputation. happy dog picking.:D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

If you're not home much, and you're not a freaky crazy person who doesn't mind birds sitting on his head and pooping on him with impunity, I'd really advise against a bird. They're very smart creatures, and they need a LOT of attention or they go nutso crazy and start biting you, or themselves, or any manner of super creepy behaviors.

You could always do what I did and get lovebirds. They're so happy with each other that they barely pay attention to me. My friend has an amazon parrot and spends tons of time talking to, playing with, and cooking for the bird. It's a lovely thing, but definitely for the committed.

IF you decide to get a dog, research the breed first. Know their traits, habits, grooming needs, possible medical problems, etc.

I love dogs, but they require a lot of care and attention. Get a dog that you like and be prepared for cleaning up after the dog, putting up with the "puppy stage of chewing", grooming, and Veterinarian bills!

I have an Old English Sheepdog, and he requires ALOT of grooming. Labradors are very good dogs, but you haven't mentioned whether you want a small, medium or large dog.

J

Well, if as your profile says, you're from Rowe, MA, and you plan to jump at Jumptown Orange, and you are not a complete jerk, you could be in luck.

Bob Clancy is S&TA, AFF/I/Tandem/I/SL/I at Orange. He is also principal of the Rowe Elementary School. He and Lisa and baby Sean, as well as Dalmation mutt Emma. live on a 40-acre farm in Rowe. Ask him about Rowe dogs. Plan for his Labor Day pig roast, which should include a keg of
Guiness.

For others, Rowe, MA is ..very.. rural by Mass. standards. The local nuke plant is being dismantled.

HW

Well I know this will sound odd but a standard poodle would be great for those allergie prone (you can shave the dog), my parents always had the miniature version cause I have an uncle with allergies. The standard size is the big size ~50+ lbs. very smart and easy to train, and if I remember right pretty indenpendant. Downside....grooming, they require haircuts and combing. They can be very protective, but socialization at a young age should take care of that.

Females: tend protect thier owners(pack).
Males: tend to protect thier territory.
Fly it like you stole it!

They are total dog lovers and offered to stop in and tend to the dog's needs when necessary.

Then if you are wanting a real dog...

...a great dane in black is a good choice. That is Skeet in the picture.

Yikes... FleaFlyer bit me... Ok, a mini Rat Terrier then. Ouch... There went Olav ZipsTer.. A Shih Tzu is a good choice....

But think about this...

3 hours ago - $671.11 ( how many jumps is that - dont answer that) The family trip to the Vet.

Dont even think about the dog food bill OR the strays I take in both animal and skydiver alike. Then add in a certain college kids cat who insists on having kittens every 5 minutes.

I dont think an animal lover habit can be broken.

... a ChiaPet then???

~AirAnn~

IF you decide to get a dog, research the breed first

Absolutely. And if you plan to get a mixed breed, research both breeds. One of my dogs is a Border Collie/Dalmation mix, and she has traits (good and bad) from both breeds.

If you'll be getting a puppy, invest in a few training classes. Worth every penny!

And whatever breed you get, take it to training. They call it dog training in the same sense that they call it parachute training...ie training is for the person not the canopy (dog).

The earlier the better.

Your life will be 80% easier if you can avoid teaching your dog bad habits. The bigger the dog, the more important this is...

Good luck!

Nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Most of you have suggested that Muenkel NOT get a dog. I disagree. In fact, I disagree so strongly that I'd say you're all WRONG!

I have two dogs. Both are shepherd mixes. One is 80lbs, the other is 40lbs. They are home alone 12hours a day, 3 days a week. They don't chew, piss, claw, or otherwise damage anything. That's because they're well-disciplined and accustomed to my schedule.

Further, a dog is more than a responsibility. It's a change in lifestyle. Instead of going out for drinks after work, you'll find yourself coming home to play with the dogs. In my experience, I've grown from being a bar-crawling party animal, to a movie-watching homebody.

I say GET A DOG! They're awesome. It'll change your life (for the better).

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

I have two dogs

Me too. They keep each other company and I don't come home to nearly the mess I did when I only had one dog.

He said he was going to get "a" dog - by that I thought he meant one. I will never again have only one dog, and I will never again have a dog at all if I have to live in an apartment...

Have you ever considered a ferret?I have two and love the little tube rats!(boy will I be gettin replies for that nickname!)If you buy one thats descented you can bathe them once a week or so and they are fine.They sleep about 10 to 14 hours a day so the bein gone wouldnt be a problem.They use a litterbox so the mess is considerably lessened there too.When you play with them they are hilarious and fun to be around for hours,but they only require about 1-2 hours of outside (the cage)exercise per day.They eat catfood and dont require many shots.Because they are cage animals they would be great for an apartment as long as the cage is in a social room of the house b/c the like to be around people.If you talk to a petshop they can get you a ferret that is already descented and neutered/spayed.take some serious thought on it.I love mine.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Oh, I agree, get a dog, but choose it wisely and know what your responsibilities will be. Most of all, get one that he likes, don't select one based on somebody else's likes.

Dogs become part of your family and are always there for you, unconditionally.

J

I just don't think that kind of life is fair to an animal that craves interaction like dogs do...

Very good advice. As a one off 10hrs away is doable, but not every day.

Different dog's do have different needs. My Rottweiller is happy with surprisingly little exercise (happy with a 6 mile sprint too), but *needs* to be "worked". He's an incredibly social animal and absolutely loves going to various dzs to see all his fans.

On the other hand he resents people being around at home during the day, that's his time. He does expect his owner to be equally up for a walk at the end of a tiring day at work though.

People do successfully work and keep happy dogs, but they make lots of choices to suit the dog. You've *really* got to want to keep a dog.

Up to about 3-4 months old, a puppy pretty much needs an owner that can be there all the time. No way round that at all, ignore it at your peril.

Read books on your chosen breed until you know everything about them, it's not a decision to take lightly.

Well i can't really say much about different dogs or anything but when i was little we had a german shepard and she was the best dog. Apparently when me and my sister were babies she'd get right down on the ground and slowly crawl towards us and would never even move when we were crawling on her. German Shepards rock!B|

OK, you all are going to think I'm crazy, but you might actually consider getting a chow chow.

Just like Pit Bulls, if they are trained correctly from the time they are puppies, they are wonderful, one-family dogs. They are incredibly intelligent and independent, and many people call them the "cat of the dog world". They aren't the type of dog to run around all day barking, either. Also, one of the built-in perks of the breed is that they are super-fastidious, so if you are little late coming home from work, you can almost bet there will NOT be an accident, because they hate going to the bathroom anywhere near where they sleep or eat.

But even then...I got my chow when he was 2 from the pound. He'd had no training, and had been a stray. Yes, he has some psychological problems (afraid of his own shadow...), but he is a GREAT dog. I lived in a condo when I got him, and he was fine...no barking, and a medium-to-low energy level. Of course, he's reverted some to his wild ways now that we own an acre of land, but he still comes when called and is very affectionate.

Yes, he has tons of hair, but he sheds it in easy to grab clumps rather than one hair at a time.

I attached a picture of Leo...what a cutie!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Leo2.jpg

Dogs can be great pets with the right training.

I was a veterinary technician for 4 years in Newton, MA. The most popular breeds of large dogs we saw were definitely the goldens and the labs, both wonderful dogs. For smaller breeds, the most popular were the bichon frise. shih tzus and lhasa apsos and terriers.

Some nice breeds with less dander include the terriers (cairn, wheaton, scottish, fox, west highland, yorkshire), the bichon frise, poodles, maltese, schnauzer, but none of them are completely non-allergenic....

I'm a pug person myself, but they are very hyper and mine were difficult to crate train...still, the cuteness is worth it...

If you want a dog, get one, but training can be hell if you don't have a lot of time to spend on it and your parents don't want to deal with it.

Rhonda
Rhonda
PP ASEL

Argh.

Rhonda, I couldn't agree with you more. Training is the key, and Muenkel doesn't seem have the time to do it. Puppies need reinforcement all day, not just in the evening, morning, and weekend.
I've got a pair of Shiba-Inu's (a japanese breed still pretty rare over here) and I don't have time to do the training again. On Saturdays I SKYDIVE, and it's not fair to either expect someone to watch them or tie them up at the dropzone.

He's probably going to have to leave the puppy crated in his apartment, or it'll shred his stuff while it anxiously awaits his return.

Cats are better for apartments (hard to admit for a dog person) and fish are better yet.

Best of all is a warm hug on Saturday from a SkyDiva.

JP

Wow, alot of advice to digest!

I love dogs and I am doing my research. I'm not about to go into the pet store and pick out a puppy randomly.

As for the training, my sister has an Akita and she hired an excellent trainer who came to her house every Saturday for a few months. That really paid off. The dog is so well trained and brings her family nothing but joy.

This is a decision I will not make lightly.

BTW, to Howard White: I do know of Bob Clancy, principal at the Rowe Elementary School. He sent me an email after I introduced myself to some of the folks at Jumptown. And yes, Rowe is extremely rural and unbelievably beautiful. It took me a while to acclamate after growing up in a suburb of NYC. Big change to say the least!

My Dude,

If you like the Akita, look into the Shiba. Japan has about four kinds of dog, and they are all just different sized Akita's. There's one bigger called the Hokaido (sp), the Akita, a compact, and the Shiba. My Shiba's are great, about 28 lbs (beagle sized) they don't shed, but they blow their entire coat twice a year. They are super, super smart, clean like cats, and they don't bark for no reason. They were originally bred to chase small game out from underbrush. Shiba translates as "little tree" or "brushwood". If your gonna take the time to train 'em I really recommend the breed. They are the most popular breed in Japan because they are pretty good in apartments.

JP

Chris

If you're going to get a dog, remember it won't be a DZ dog, 'cuz you're only going to be at the DZ on weekends (probably). DZ dogs are there 24/7, know where not to poop, and don't chase their owners to the plane.
I once chased a big black Lab onto the runway and grabbed him as he was trying to follow the Otter; his boss (the pilot) had accustomed him to follow him down the runway in his pickup, and the Otter was just a big pickup. Yours might need to stay on a leash (as does Bob Clancy's dog, mostly.)

HW

My Shiba's are great, about 28 lbs (beagle sized)

Actually I was not considering an Akita because I thought they were all big. My sister's is 120lbs. I did not know there was a breed that was only 28lbs. I am in the early stages of my research. Thanks for the info.

Rhonda,

I agree. Unfortunately, I have heard of too many instances where the puppies purchased from pet stores were quite sickly. I wish someone could look into the type of treatment these dogs are getting.:(

Instead of going to a breeder, why not get a nice homeless dog facing certain death?

Even if you have your heart set on a particular kind, it's not hard to find breed-specific rescue organizations. You can even get a very young dog if that's what you want.

Just something to ponder.
Skydiving is for cool people only