FlyinDawg

Beat the Back-fly

I finally beat the back-fly training. Next, sit-flying training! I won't start that training till I buy friendly freefly rig for any training and freefly. Begin at back-fly is biggest diffculty but don't give up on it! ;)
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

I'm not sure what kind of training you're into, but I've got some news for you - backflying is freeflying.

If your rig isn't ready for sit flying, it's not ready for backflying either.

I know but there's litle difference. Coach told me that if you back-flyin with rig. Think of a rig is other belly as stomach. It's most almost common belly-flying. That coach has 2,000 jumps.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

I won't start that training till I buy friendly freefly rig for any training and freefly.

That coach has 2,000 jumps.

Dave is right dude. Back flying is free flying. Flying on your back runs the risk of the relative wind catching any exposed bridle or pc, so if youre not using the right gear then your putting yourself at risk! :(
That coach has 2000 jumps?:S

Dave
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

Which goes to show that the number of jumps or pieces of paper a person has does not always equal knowledge about gear.

Think about what parts of the rig are exposed to the relative wind when you are back flying - especially the flaps covering the main and reserve pins. Now think about how much it would suck if your main flap came open, the wind caught the bridle and the pin came out... all while you are on your back and your pilot chute is still tucked away in it's pouch.

Doesn't sound like a risk worth taking, but that's just me.

These guys are right mate. Back flying is freeflying.

Its not a crime, just make sure your spandex pocket is nice and tight and you have bridle/pin protection.

Have fun :)

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Which goes to show that the number of jumps or pieces of paper a person has does not always equal knowledge about gear.

Think about what parts of the rig are exposed to the relative wind when you are back flying - especially the flaps covering the main and reserve pins. Now think about how much it would suck if your main flap came open, the wind caught the bridle and the pin came out... all while you are on your back and your pilot chute is still tucked away in it's pouch.

Doesn't sound like a risk worth taking, but that's just me.

He's coach also rigger. ;) I used a rig is Javelin which freefly friendly for back-fly
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

Here's the point - Anything besides belly-flying will expose your rig to more relative wind. Back flying puts the rig directly into the relative wind.

If your rig is safe for that, it's safe for sit flying or head down.

If your rig is not safe for sit flying or head down, it's not safe for back flying.

It's one or the other. You can't have it both ways.

Here's the point - Anything besides belly-flying will expose your rig to more relative wind. Back flying puts the rig directly into the relative wind.

Im not a rigger or instructor or anything...

But couldn't it be that when your backflying your less exposed to the relative wind then when your sitflying(or headdown)?
My theory is that the wind will push the bridal more towards the rig (the wind will make it stick to the back of the rig because the force is at another angle) as opposed to sitflying which will make the bridal fly away from the rig.

Of course you shouldn't do stuff with your rig it isn't designed for(if it isnt designed for other uses then bellyflying you shouldn't use it for anything else then bellyflying) but I was just wondering if there could be a little truth to my theory :S , and if not please tell me why, thanks

(I made a schematic illustration of what I mean)
Parachute gear garage sale at :http://www.usedparachutes.eu

As I am not a rigger or instructor take my point of view with a grain of salt. The problem comes when someone is back flying and the rig is not flat on the bottom. Let's say the person's body has a angle to it. This would cause the wind to hit the container at an angle and still cause problems. Also if your container isn't freefly friendly what would happen if you had a premature deployment? Your body is now in the way of the deployment. If you are in a sit and you had a premature deployment your canopy has clear airspace. However the opening would be very hard and the rig might not handle that deployment speed. So in the end keep your non-freefly friendly rig sunny side up or you might end up over easy.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

>But couldn't it be that when your backflying your less exposed to the
>relative wind then when your sitflying(or headdown)?

Perhaps. But most people learning to backfly are not nearly as stable as your picture suggests! If you are going to be intentionally going on to your back, your rig should be freefly-capable (most are nowadays.) In addition, the wind will tend to push your legstraps towards your knees; that's what the legstrap bungees are for.

Thanks for the feedback

Perhaps

So this means I could be right (or not ) in theory but to know for sure I should make some complicated calculation or measure it in some way (and im not planning on doing that :P) and then there still would be too many variables to concider... so my theory seems to be pretty unusable in practice

So the conclusion can only be that you should freefly with a freefly capable rig.(makes sence...)

But thanks again for your replies
Parachute gear garage sale at :http://www.usedparachutes.eu

I fail to see your logic on how something can be freefly friendly for backfly, but not friendly for sitflying or head down?? B|

Don't ask me, ask Drew. He's expert.

You realize you're allowed to think for yourself, right? You keep deferring to this mystery instructor's opinion as if it is infallible. You realize experienced people can be wrong, right? That is exactly WHY you need to be able to apply logic on your own.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Well, It didn't affect a rig while I was back-flyin. No problem, I trusted my coach and rigger, =)

And Russian Roulette doesn't kill you, every time. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean it's safe.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

He's jumping a Javelin. My question is what makes it freefly unfriendly?

Some Javelins suck big time keeping the main flap and risers shut and also don't have good bridle coverage.

Is the rig in question fit that category?

FlyinDawg, why did they say it's not freefly friendly? The only thing you've stated was you jump a Javelin and the coach and rigger say it's not freefly friendly but some reason it's ok to fly on your back. that's fairly cryptic.

Edit: Just looked at the drawing. It' Bridle not bridal by the way.

FlyDawg, is the bridle expsed? Are the main and reserve flaps secure or not so secure? how about the riser covers?

I don't really care how you feel confident. If it's not "freefly friendly" and the container opens or the pilot chute launches when you don't want it too, it can ruin your day. I've watched it plenty on older Javelins. So ... why is it not freefly friendly according to the coach and why is it back fly friendly?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto