c15ammarty

rubber piece on risers?

What is the name of the small rubber tube that covers the link right where the lines are attached to the main risers? And where can I get a replacement piece? (for the Javelin Odyssey)

Also, is it dangerous to jump with these rubber pieces broken/missing, leaving the metal link pieces exposed?

Thanks

slider bumper here. it's just silicone rubber tubing mostly used on risers with Rapid links. Go to Soft links, they're stonger.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

c15ammarty

What is the name of the small rubber tube that covers the link right where the lines are attached to the main risers? And where can I get a replacement piece? (for the Javelin Odyssey)

Also, is it dangerous to jump with these rubber pieces broken/missing, leaving the metal link pieces exposed?

Thanks

Slider Bumper.

Your local rigger can make them.

Sort of. You are going to have metal on metal contact without them, the slider grommets hitting the links. It can cause burrs on the links or the grommets, which can damage your lines. It can also damage the lines by smashing the lines where they attach to the links between the links and the grommets.

It's not a big deal to have the bumper replaced, or you could have the metal links replaced with soft links.

Talk to your rigger or loft.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Ok thank you, I have found them on paragear.com and that is exactly the piece I was describing.

How would I know what size rapid links I have? There are some slider bumpers for size 3.5, and some for size 4-5. I have a 170 main if that gives you an idea of the size container etc.

Also, would installing new ones be self explanatory or should I have a rigger assist me with them?

Main bumpers are going to be the bigger ones (I think).
It's pretty straightforward to unscrew the links and put the bumpers on, but it's best to have your rigger do it (and show you how). There's a couple things that are easy to mess up.
And you will want to do a full line check if you unhook and rehook the lines.
From the sound of it, I'm going to guess you don't know how to do that (If you did, you wouldn't be asking).

I don't know about your local situation, but this is something that I'd do for nothing (a "Thanks" is always appreciated) to make sure you got it right. It's a quick and simple replacement, but there are a couple things that are easy to screw up (to repeat), and a mistake can have huge consequences (think about what might happen if your link fails at, say, 100 feet).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

BigMark

***The size is written right on the link, it may take a lupe depending on your age ;)

lupe = Mexican girl

Loupe = Seeing small crap

:P

So he got it right. I'm sure a lupe has good eyesight ;)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

rwieder

Jet those rapide links and have some slinks installed. Then you won't have that problem anymore.

Installing slinks is a great idea if you're already planning to remove your rapide links to put on the slider bumpers -- just get rid of the rapide links and replace with slinks. This is definitely something you should have your rigger do (or assist you with). That said, you then have to decide whether you want your slider to come down past your slinks or not after opening. If so, you're done, enjoy! If not, you have to get the slink version of those bumpers (I've heard them called slink hats) and install those along with your slinks.

peek

******The size is written right on the link, it may take a lupe depending on your age ;)

lupe = Mexican girl, Loupe = Seeing small crap

Good catch. I added it to my collection:
http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/misused.htm

There is a mistake there - "triathalon" is not a word.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

c15ammarty

Also, would installing new ones be self explanatory or should I have a rigger assist me with them?

You are obviously a young jumper and have not been taught these things as yet.

Stop what you are doing and talk to a rigger.
Buying the main slinks now is not a bad idea but before you do anything else...see the rigger and have him show you what's what.

This is too important to be guessing and hoping it's right. Get it wrong and.....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239