cbain

I didn't vote for him, what do you think?

huh, you learn something new everyday...here I thought it was just the oil and power people who had contributed the most to his campaign...I guess we can add the lumber industry to that list...

:)

-S

very true.

I see where they are coming from, but what is sad is:

A) This is not for the sake of the forest, it is for the sake of the people...we are getting to the point where we cannot allow nature to take its course in much of anything anymore.

B) The situation was brought on by us in the first place...so now, there is too much folliage, then we will clear it and find that we cleared too much, something else will be going extinct, so we will stop doing that, then we will have too much folliage again...it's like learning headdown and going back and forth and back and forth...we're bound to hit the ground sometime soon, cause we should have pulled a long time ago.

-S

I think it's a great idea. I lived in the Northwest in the early 90's during the whole "Spotted Owl" debate and ever tightening logging restrictions. I saw a lot of people lose their jobs. The sad thing is...most of the laws that were passed are quite rediculous. People drive through the Northwest and see the clear cuts. Apparently they think that those were cut last week. Clear cutting has been outlawed for a looong time. Unfortunately, the environment is very fragile out there and takes a long time to recover. I think we need more logging. Wood is a sustainable resource if it is managed properly. Trust me.....the people in the logging business understand how to manage forests. They know all too well that if they cut too much today they will be out of work tomorrow. In fact...my Mom was just telling how this HUGE tree next to the garage is invested with weevles(SP?) That is a sign of an unhealthy forest. If the timber had been managed properly we wouldn't be having these problems.

If the timber had been managed properly we wouldn't be having these problems.

---------------

That's the thing...who is it a problem for? Don't think the tree cares much, and the Weevles (sp?) would probably prefer that the tree be there...it's not a problem for them.

Forests don't need humans to manage them...they do a pretty good job on their own.

-S

who is it a problem for?

Well...the weevles kill the tree eventually. So...yeah....I guess it cares. I care because the tree dies and either A) Falls on my garage or B) Is a 150 ft tall fire hazard very close to my house. Once the weevles are in it the timber value of the tree also drops dramatically. I don't have any use for weevles.

If the timber had been managed properly we wouldn't be having these problems.

---------------

That's the thing...who is it a problem for? Don't think the tree cares much, and the Weevles (sp?) would probably prefer that the tree be there...it's not a problem for them.

Forests don't need humans to manage them...they do a pretty good job on their own.

-S

It's a problem for them and us. Forest fires. You can smell the woodsmoke from Oregon at 10 grand in the Bay Area.

All those weevles will be dead in a forest fire if a cut isn't made to break a fire roaring at them. Oh, and the house will go up too. Lastly the human may perish.

Weevles wovvle but they don't fall down.

Hunters and loggers care more about the game and land than the frickin big city environmentalists.

Argh! The politics today!

"I weigh 300 pounds and have just got off level 8 after 3 attempts. My S&TA wants to sell me a Velocity 84. Should I buy it?"

That'd be more like it.

We have talked recently about the United States policing the world, and seems to me that humans are doing the same thing with nature.

Trees are supposed to die. And what the hell happens to the tree anyway? Either way it's going to die, either we cut it down, or it dies after growing into an ecosystem, falls down, and continues to play its natural roll. Ever heard of the circle of life? Seems to me that we are the only break in that circle, and will eventually pay for it with the extinction of our species.

-S

hey hey hey i am all about forest managment. don't talk to me about big town mentalities. i grew up in a town that had 10 yes 10 people in it, and the closest grocery store was 2hrs away. i know what it is like to like out in the middle tin-buck-two. lets not get out of hand here or another thread will be locked. lets not get so serious. i have enough seriousness at my job.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

When we all live off the land out in the hills with no modern conveniences it can go back to being this way. Until then...we have to use the resources that are available to us.

---------------

The fact is that the circle will close...if we are not an active participant in that circle when it does, the human race will be no more. I am convinced that we have already removed ourselves from the cycle, so the question that remains is exactly when it will all end. The more we adopt the attitude that eating up natural resources is just necessary, and the quicker we do so, the sooner the Earth is going to chew us up and spit us out. It won't happen anytime soon, but the concern is not for us, it is for our future...people don't fight and die in wars for their sakes, but for the sakes of the citizens who reap the benefits of their efforts. Same thing, this isn't for us, it's for the future of the entire human race.

-S

The more we adopt the attitude that eating up natural resources

I didn't mean that we should all grab our chain saws and go willy nilly through the forest cutting down every tree we see. I meant that wood products are a sustainable, renewable natural resource. If we manage it and take care of it, It will take care of us. Just like proper crop rotation and soil conservation in farming. Trust me...the timber industry has learned a lot of hard lessons over the past 100 years. I'm not saying that there aren't greedy people. There always are and some over sight is needed. In general there are a lot of good people in the industry that know how to take care of forests so they will be around forever.