nigel99

I am a slave!

Well thank god for dz.com cause I am going fucking loopy here at work.

Few weeks ago I posted that my company was going bust, well we haven't been paid for August and every few days the "deadline" slides further to the right for shutting the doors.

Anyways so yesterday evening I decided enuff and spoke to the CEO and said I wanted out as we have now been told not to expect payment for September either. Well the little fucking creeps answer was fine hand in your resignation and because you are key staff we require you to work your fucking notice!!

So does working(well sitting @dz.com for 8hrs actually) against your will for free constitute anything but slavery??

I don't like leaving company's with bad vibes but Jeez this takes the cake.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I think that is the decision - been onto law sites here and old CEO dickhead is borderline commiting fraud.

And I have confirmed that my rights rule and his idea of work your notice is all fucked up.

Again I really don't like being blackmailed but the live by the sword die by it rule tends to be true so I like to be "nice" - just nice to blow steam hear so I don't do something to stupid (after all this job does pay circa 30% above norm - when the pay [:/])
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I like to be "nice"

There's a big difference between being nice and being walked on. You're currently allowing yourself to be the latter. As for working two weeks notice, do you really think your CEO will give you two weeks notice before the doors close forever? More likely, you'll show up for work one day and there'll be a chain on the door. So you shouldn't feel obligated to give him any notice either.

By continuing to go to work every day, you're (1) taking away from time which would be better spent looking for another job and (2) continuing to invest time and effort in what you know will never pay. You're 30% above norm isn't above norm anymore. Just average in all the time you've spent without pay and now you're back down in the Labour Class again (poking fun at Brit socioeconomics)

I've been in similar situations, bro. Just cut your losses and get the hell out of there -- today! I found that living in a trailer and jumping every day was a very satisfying career change. You'll even get used to daily hot dogs & peanut butter after awhile.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

The more to it is that there is a chance 50% currently that we will have funding soon (i.e the VC are in discussions etc etc).

Other than that I guess its just that engineers are like lemmings - no brains just follow the daily routine Get up - go to work - go home - repeat.

We all bitch about it and only one guy has walked so far in a month (the poor sod was taken on 6wks ago B|)

>Well the little fucking creeps answer was fine hand in your
> resignation and because you are key staff we require you to work
> your fucking notice!!

I would get a case of beer, some chips, borrow a little TV, and spend the next two weeks surfing the web, drinking beer, and getting chip crumbs all over the place. "What's the problem with my drinking beer? We're about to close the doors, right? And I'm not getting paid anyway." It's party time at the ol company. One of two things will happen - either you'll get asked to leave (which is the objective) or you'll get promoted.

On a Side note... tag every you want as a payment package (Ie Sun servers, Cisco stuff, you know... anything that can be sold on ebay) and if you get terminated or they close... take the equipment as payment...

If they want it back it will cost lawyer fees... and they can't even pay bills let alone bloodsuckers... errr... laywers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Think about it... No Pay, No work... Pull an OFFICE SPACE on his ass. Go there with the attempt to get fired. Moral of this is you can't fire slaves, you have to sell them... You can screw off as much as possible and he won't fire you... What do you have to lose?

3-2-1-cya
Don't take life too serious, you will never get out alive!

Depends on where you work. In Colorado, it's a "no fault" state, so you can walk out anytime from any job. Downside is employers can get rid of you with no notice, but what the hell? I am no man's ass-pony.

I think it's pretty much everywhere that employers are required to pay you, but ask a lawyer in your area - probably give you a free consultation for five minutes of advice. You might suggest to your boss that if he can't come up with cash, you accept oral sex as a payment.

Bah - this is why I work for myself. I hope all you gentle skydivers will forgive my foul language but I have strong feelings about the whole throwback to midevil fuedalism that we call working for a corporation. May I never go back.

Dude:
Are you in the UK. If yes, do you have a company car? If yes, hang on to it till you get paid. I believe there are stringent laws in the UK against not paying your employees. I am a corporate whore - I am not loyal to corporations as I yet have to see a corporation that is loyal to me. I think though I am more likely to see Godzilla live doing Tchaikovski's Swan Lake;).
If you do not feel like working there go to the mother f*&^%g CEO and threaten him with a law suit. Also I would suggest (in a legal fashion of course) securing company assets as collateral for payment before other creditors (banks and other vultures of the like) seize the opportunity.
Good luck!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Whoa, Nigel, something is missing here.

If I understand correctly, you have been going to work for 4 weeks now without getting paid? You also say there is a 50% chance of them getting financing? This also means there is a 50% chance of NOT getting the money. You have already lost 4 weeks pay and valuable job search time. Walk out! I have conducted literally hundreds of interviews in my career. When asked, why did you leave your last job and the answer was "they were not paying me", that would go in their "positive" column. Meaning they had the brains to not give their services away for free.

Good luck bro.

Cheese and rice!!! I keep saying the only reason I show up to my job is because they pay me $20 an hour. If they just went down to $15 I'd be gone much less not paying me at all. I'd leave right now while packing everything of value that you can fit into the company car. ;) After a short stop at the Pawn shop you're off to the DZ!!!!! :D