Pammi

Sex in church

And I disagree with your disagreement with my disagreement...

You steal $20 from me, I really don't care much. You take my teddy bear that I grew up with that is not worth a dollar, that hurts.

You burn a piece of cloth, that's not a big deal. You dye that piece of fabric red, white, and blue, and now you are evil.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what you think, or what anyone else thinks about the building...it is sacred to these people, and is therefore disrespectful and hurtful.

If the people on the radio agreed with you, they would not have had the church on the list. They knew that it would be shocking and that it would offend some. They just hoped that they would get away with it.

-S

So I guess that if you go to a church that doesn't have a building it doesn't count .

-----------

I didn't say that at all. If they were to go to the side of a public lake and hold their services, when they were not there, then I would not consider having sex in that location to be disrespectful to them. If it is their property, though, whether under shelter or in open air, then I do think that it is disrespectful and wrong.

-S

Whew! I got scared for a minute there.

I kind of feel sorry for the actual good priests, who never did any of this bullshit and now they have to put up with all the jokes and suspicions because their perverted comrades.:S

now they have to put up with all the jokes and suspicions because their perverted comrades.

---------------

I too feel sorry for the good ones, but then again, I don't think that they are having to put up with it because of the bad ones...I think it stems more from the handling of the whole situation by the church itsself.

I don't know if how they have handled the situation is right or wrong. I disagree with it from what I have seen, and think that there are a lot of people who have serious disagreements...I think that is what has lead to the ridicule.

-S

Why? Why is one brand of mythology more deserving of respect than another?

---------------

Nobody has said that this one should be respected and another shouldn't...I, personally, would consider it the same if it was done in the place of worship for Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Mormons, JW's, etc.

-S

I'm with SBS here. It's called respect for your fellow human. What you call mythology, many folks believe is truth.

Another clarification in regard to the Catholic Church. Someone said earlier that the Church is empty. Not true. According to the Catholic belief, Jesus Christ is present in body and blood. That is what the Catholic faith is based on. That is why it is so offensive. We don't consider it an empty building.

Why? Why is one brand of mythology more deserving of respect than another?

I didn't mean Catholic exclusively...I suppose I worded my sentence wrong. I didn't mean it to come out that way. I just mean any kind of beliefs someone may have. We really should be striving to respect one another instead of just disregarding peoples feelings & beliefs. I don't go to church, but I think my 'OVERLY' catholic grandmother would have a heart attack if she heard about this. It's way too touchy a subject for the O&A show to be doing it just for laughs.
=======================
"What I want is what I've not got ,but what I need is all around me"-DMB
Meghan

Religion is probably the biggest cause of war in the world. Live & let live, with a certain degree of respect for others.

Maybe O&A should have just stopped at WOW! j/k:)
=======================
"What I want is what I've not got ,but what I need is all around me"-DMB
Meghan

>I was raised Catholic and this happened in a Catholic Church. If you
>were to research the Catholic Catechism you would realize how
>offensive this act was to practicing Catholic people.

I was raised catholic as well, and spent my formative years in an all boys catholic high school. It took me years to get over that. After I saw some of the stuff the brothers did in the chapel, I wouldn't get too upset over some laypeople (no pun intended) fooling around in a church. But that's just me. Personally I wouldn't do it because I know some people _would_ be very offended.

As an aside, if you've read Kushiel's Dart, the author presents a thought-provoking "alternative history" in which a prophet (Eula) thinks that sex is a good thing, a sacrament of sorts. A religion very similar to christianity forms around his teachings, with some very noticeable differences.

I wouldn't do it because I know some people _would be very offended.

-------------

That's really the issue here, that although we may not care, some people do.

-----------------

As an aside, if you've read Kushiel's Dart, the author presents a thought-provoking "alternative history" in which a prophet (Eula) thinks that sex is a good thing, a sacrament of sorts. A religion very similar to christianity forms around his teachings, with some very noticeable differences.

------------------

This would be very different if we were talking about memebers of a congregation having sex in their church because it was an act involved in their worship or beliefs (Stranger in a Strangeland comes to mind as well). Each religion or mythology has its beleifs, and the issue is not having sex, it's doing something that is known to be deeply offensive.

-S

Why? Why is one brand of mythology more deserving of respect than
another?

---------------

Nobody has said that this one should be respected and another
shouldn't...I, personally, would consider it the same if it was done in the
place of worship for Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Mormons, JW's,

Well, she said "certain religious beliefs", which implies selectivity.

The only problem I have with this, is that they were reckless enough to alert those around them to what they were doing, and thus were arrested (and deservingly so).

If the building is empty, I see no problem.
B|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project